Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Disney & NFL Reach Agreement on New Deal

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

Sources said Disney is expected to pay an increase of up to 30% from its current deal, which based on an average of $2B per year would equate to around $2.6B.

Disney will pay more than other media companies for its “MNF” package, and the network will retain the highly coveted highlight rights, which provide year-round programming for ESPN’s studio shows. An undetermined number of regular-season games will be simulcast on ABC, which will produce a Super Bowl for the first time since ‘06.

The new deals will look a lot like the old deals, with CBS and Fox keeping their Sunday afternoon packages and NBC keeping “SNF.” Sources said that CBS, Fox and NBC will be paying around $2B per year for their packages, a massive increase essentially doubling their current deals.

The biggest change will be with “TNF,” which will move from Fox to Amazon Prime and NFL Network. It is unclear what Amazon would be paying.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, we cancelled cable, retained internet. My personal cell plan has "unlimited streaming data" so if I get into a pissing contest with Comcast about the internet, I am covered. We have already tried the TV on my phone's wifi and were able to stream 4k on Netflix, so my phone is a strong option.

What are my NFL viewing options this fall without a cable subscription. In the past I attempted to do NFL Sunday Ticket on the playstation to be thwarted by the "local team exclusion" preventing me from watching the damn 16 games I wanted to watch.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So, we cancelled cable, retained internet. My personal cell plan has "unlimited streaming data" so if I get into a pissing contest with Comcast about the internet, I am covered. We have already tried the TV on my phone's wifi and were able to stream 4k on Netflix, so my phone is a strong option.

What are my NFL viewing options this fall without a cable subscription. In the past I attempted to do NFL Sunday Ticket on the playstation to be thwarted by the "local team exclusion" preventing me from watching the damn 16 games I wanted to watch.
Courtesy of Business Insider. Seems like most "streaming" has blackout restrictions though. It sounds like stuff like YoutubeTV, Hulu+, etc. are your better options if you mainly want to follow the Saints/most games. NFL Network allows for out-of-market games but seems exclusionary re: local markets.

"Additionally, you can stream all your local in-market games on your mobile device for free using the Yahoo Sports app or the NFL app.
If you're only interested in watching in-market games without cable or an antenna, then you can stream live local and primetime games on a mobile device using the Yahoo Sports or NFL app. Both options are free and each app is available on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. These apps provide live streaming for regular-season local and primetime games, playoffs, and the Super Bowl. With that said, you can only watch the games on a mobile device. You'll also need to ensure that your location services are activated on your phone or tablet."

• Love
Reactions: SFH

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have more of an issue with the lack of an extra bye than the MNF playoff game.

Extending the season to 19 weeks of regular season can’t be anything but a positive to everyone.