Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Disney + Streaming Service Thread

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah with most new releases that have gone straight to streaming being no more than $20, it's gonna be an interesting experiment.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
You still have to pay 30 bucks to see it.
For a family of four? That's a steal. Date night? You're probably saving that much, just on tickets, and you don't have to hire a babysitter.

I mean, I wouldn't pay that much for Mulan, because I don't have any small kids. But let me find out that I can see Black Panther 2, or Captain Marvel 2, or Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on opening weekend for thirty bucks, and I don't have to be around other people, and I can eat or drink what I want, and don't have to settle for the bullshit options at the theater, and I don't have to plan my whole day around the time windows that the theater offers me? That's a bargain, in my book.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
You're still paying $30 to see a movie from your couch, though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
You're still paying $30 to see a movie from your couch, though.
Counterpoint: so?

The theater experience is wild overrated. I saw literally no movies in the theater, on opening weekend, between Shakespeare in Love and Black Panther. And I can count on my fingers the number of movies that I saw in the theater, at any point during their theatrical run, during that same span of time. Basically, I almost exclusively watch movies "from my couch," so if I can see a new movie from my couch, and I don't have to wait 2-6 months to talk about it with people online, without spoilering myself, but I also don't have to go and physically be around other people to watch it? Shit, sign me up.

Laz

Reaction score
To each their own, but if there's a movie I really want to see opening weekend? I've never had an issue dropping money for tickets, snacks, etc. I also have friends who've ran theaters, though, so I admit my bias.

Usually I just catch a stream or wait.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It's the same thing that UFC and ESPN does. If you subscribe to the ESPN service, you still have to pay for the UFC fights, and they charge double that and have no issue getting people to buy them.

If people want to see the movie, then people will pay it. Parents who are big Disney fans that show their kids every movie, this will be ordered by them first day. I see nothing wrong with it. You can pause it if you need to at any time, don't have to worry about assholes in the audience. TVs are getting big enough, and inexpensive enough that most people have good ones, that it's like watching it on a movie screen anyway.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'd be the parent paying the $15 to buy the original for my kid on Prime, anyway.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I'd be the parent paying the $15 to buy the original for my kid on Prime, anyway.
Right. My baby sister has three kids, all under the age of twelve. Her and her husband taking their family to see Mulan would have run them 50+ easy, even at matinee prices. She's hyped as fuck about the idea of "only" having to spend thirty dollars.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't pay $30 for a new release on streaming for just myself but if a few friends joined me and we split the cost, I would be open to it. Otherwise I'll just go to a theater (LOL) or wait for free streaming.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently the 'success' of Mulan was just $60-$90 Million from streaming on Disney+.... what a massive blow to Disney.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
That's super unfortunate; I was hoping that it would work out, so that this would be an option for future movies, that I actually wanted to see. I loathe the theater experience.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, with Trolls and Mulan both bombing, that’s the end of that.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, with Trolls and Mulan both bombing, that’s the end of that.

This is why I think that theaters will eventually be back because people (well, except Slim) enjoy the theater going experience. But right now we are stuck in a weird limbo where watching it at home is too expensive and sucks (Trolls, Mulan) but at the same time nobody feels safe going back to the theaters in numbers that make it financially worthwhile to release big studio movies (Tenet bombing).

Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I think that theaters will eventually be back because people (well, except Slim) enjoy the theater going experience. But right now we are stuck in a weird limbo where watching it at home is too expensive and sucks (Trolls, Mulan) but at the same time nobody feels safe going back to the theaters in numbers that make it financially worthwhile to release big studio movies (Tenet bombing).

I think the government and/or movie studios are going to have to bail them out. Until this is over, there isn't enough people who will go to the theater.

But yeah, the movie theater will never die. The VOD results show that. That pipe dream is over with.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there will be a place for streaming but Mulan's negative buzz + it's high $30 price tag... no way was it gonna be a success.

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there will be a place for streaming but Mulan's negative buzz + it's high $30 price tag... no way was it gonna be a success.

I dunno. There is a place for streaming on services that people already pay for, but I really don't think enough people will sit down at their house to order something and watch it. There are already things on demand that people can watch without doing that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno. There is a place for streaming on services that people already pay for, but I really don't think enough people will sit down at their house to order something and watch it. There are already things on demand that people can watch without doing that.

Agree but I also think price point is a big factor. If you tell me I have to pay $30 for a movie e.g. Mulan, then tell me it'll be available for free in just a few months... why would I pay that? But if you tell me that I can have the choice of going to a theater to see Neon Demon or see it at home for $8.99, I'd be pretty tempted to stay home for that price.

I don't think streaming will topple theaters or anything but I think for certain budgeted movies, it could be a smarter route to go.

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree but I also think price point is a big factor. If you tell me I have to pay $30 for a movie e.g. Mulan, then tell me it'll be available for free in just a few months... why would I pay that? But if you tell me that I can have the choice of going to a theater to see Neon Demon or see it at home for $8.99, I'd be pretty tempted to stay home for that price.

I don't think streaming will topple theaters or anything but I think for certain budgeted movies, it could be a smarter route to go.

They can't afford to do that tbh. The only way they could actually do something like that is to make a deal with HBO or Showtime for those channels to give them extra money for releasing it straight to their channel.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm never going to truly get a Star Wars project that will be free of Jedis.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what a "Star Wars" project is supposed to be, absent the context of Jedi. But, at any rate, it sounds like Rogue Squadron might be up your alley.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I guess it's just there's this HUGE universe full of all kinds of potential characters and stories, but it always just goes back into the Jedi. It's frustrating. I know the fanbase hates thinking outside the box a lot of times but there's just so much potential and genres and worlds to explore without it coming down to Jedi doing Jedi stuff all the time.

I loved the idea of the Kenobi series, though. Shame they had to make it Vader time.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, Vader shows up at the end, but I'd consider Rogue One devoid of Jedi. Solo, too, even though Maul shows up very briefly.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Could see a series centered on the Underworld element of the universe, fill it with Pirates, Bounty Hunters, Spies and Mercenaries. Put in a planet like Nar Shaddaa or Coruscant.

Pirates in particular I think would be a cool element to explore.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just mean future stuff. Before they realize they can have Darth Logan.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
You know, when you said Darth Logan, I didn’t think Wolverine. I was trying to find out what happened between the Wyld Stallions for Ted “Theodore” Logan to turn to the Darkside.

Laz

Reaction score
They can't afford to do that tbh. The only way they could actually do something like that is to make a deal with HBO or Showtime for those channels to give them extra money for releasing it straight to their channel.
There's also no reason to make a movie that would require several hundred million dollars of return just to break even. Not when there are movies making a ton of profit off of smaller budgets that look just as good, if not better, than their bloated budget counterparts.