Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Doctor Who, both new and old.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Back in 2000 I ran a rental store in SF, Le Video. The "buyer guy" was a Dr. Who mark and he was always trying to get me to watch with him. I saw a couple with him but there was so much to the catalog I was a bit scared to really get into it. It's a really long running Sci-Fi, time travel BBC drama that has a main character whose name is simply, "The Doctor." Over the years the Doctor has been played by a variety of actors but it's always the same character, this is explained in story as him "regenerating" when he experiences a deadly or near-death situation. He is often accompanied by "companions" which is another set of revolving door actors. Sometimes BBC would put the show on hiatus or make a stand alone movie.

In 2005 they revived the series, you can catch this current series on Sci-Fi actually. It has been a phenomenon in the UK, not so much in the states but it's fans are just as loyal here. The new series has already seen 2 actors in the role of the Doctor and will shortly be seeing a 3rd. I'm a huge fan of this revived series. Anyone else a fan of the Doctor, new and/or old, here?

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
I want to get into it. I watched an all day marathon a year or so ago and really liked the show but as you said there's just SO MUCH to it, it's hard to get into.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
I got introduced to this recently (started with Season 3 of the new series) and I freaking adore it.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The old series, not so much. But the new series with Christopher and Tenant have been fun. The new guy though, I'm still not feeling it. Looks like he escaped the set of Twilight.

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember being into it as a kid, well over two decades ago, and I'm sure that almost all of it went over my head. Didn't know that it was still running until a few years ago.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
It only started up again in 2005.

To be honest I've only ever really started to watch Dr.Who since it relaunched in 2005, and even then it wasn't until I got a whole series together at once. I sat and bombed through it in one weekend, it was better then I was expecting. It was nice they had an ongoing story arch behind it all and actually bothered to develop characters - which is more then can be said for some TV shows.