Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Drag Me To Hell

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm sure it's better than its trailers would indicate. Because good lord, those thirty-second TV spots they've been running are just terrible. OMG GENERIC J-HORROR IMAGES OF SPOOKY SHIT AND FLIES WHILE SOME GUY WITH A DEEP VOICE NARRATES.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to it, some small things to note with this film is that apparently it was written by the Raimis back in the early nineties (soon after Army of Darkness was completed) and has been shelved since, and also that there is an R rated version, but the studio must have decided they want the more audience friendly PG-13, which has become the horror standard, it feels like, at least depending on the studio and the whatnot. But this is supposed to be much better than your typical PG-13 "horror" so that will make me throw down for it. And I'm sure we'll get the other version (assuming the Director's Cut?) later in the year on DVD.

If I didn't know this was a Sam Raimi film and just saw commercials for it on TV and nothing more about it, I honestly would probably skip it, to be honest. Seems like the typical hot girl gets haunted by evil, type thing. Very true that the trailer is your typical cliche type, although I saw a longer version of a trailer for it that came off much better in a theater recently (in front of the new Terminator movie).

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I actually saw an advance screening of this last week and wound up enjoying it a lot more than I thought. The trailers and commercials make it look like crap but that wasn't the case at all. My only complaint is that it seems like the film should end about four other times before the actual ending happens.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
My only complaint is that it seems like the film should end about four other times before the actual ending happens.

As long as the film doesn't drag on at all and doesn't goes too long for it's own good, having four false endings of sorts is a good thing if you ask me.

Oh by the way, unfortunately, no Bruce Campbell in this one at all, no cameo, no nothing. Bah.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Raimi puts his Oldsmobile in every film, not Bruce Campbell. I can live without him, just because I'm so excited for this. I had a feeling the trailers were being misleading, and from what I've heard, the movie has a lot of slapstick horror a la Evil Dead II.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I agree that the trailers look "meh" but most reviews that I put stock in are saying they were suprised how much they liked it. Dread Central was really positive.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Does it have some of Raimi's humor in this? Because everything from the ads makes this seem like some boring chick gets cursed type of film.

Bruce wanted to be in this but he was busy with Burn Notice.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Does it have some of Raimi's humor in this? Because everything from the ads makes this seem like some boring chick gets cursed type of film.

Mattdotcom said:
the movie has a lot of slapstick horror a la Evil Dead II.

Also, I say an older, pathetic Ash would be comedy gold.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
KOAB said:

Mattdotcom said:
the movie has a lot of slapstick horror a la Evil Dead II.

Also, I say an older, pathetic Ash would be comedy gold.

You guys should check out "My Name is Bruce" a neat little indy flick where he plays himself but people come to him for help as if he is Ash.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read where Raimi is interested in doing another Evil Dead, and was surprised that Bruce made comments that he didn't want to do it after seeing Indy 4. He seems to be pretty confident that once the script is done Bruce will follow.

Back on track, I'm interested in seeing Drag Me To Hell. Looks like it could be good.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
If this movies dies in the theater, yu can blame the commercials. The trailer isn't horrible, but the commercials don't explain anything about the movie. All they say are, "From the director of SPIDERMAN and the EVIL DEAD series." That's not going to bring out a ton of people outside of the people that are already interested in seeing it.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's my hope that they attract the crowd that goes to see drek like Prom Night opening weekend and hit them over the head with this.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Just saw it, and oh my God, you gotta see it. It's a perfect blend of horror and Sam Raimi's slapstick/horror mix, and the most fun I've had with a horror movie in ages. The audience ate it up. Basically, one of the masters is back, and he's still got it. Easily going in my top 10 of the year.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Just got back home from a showing not too long ago, and DAMN, this was fucking fantastic. After reading some reviews I figured I would enjoy it, but wow I was very suprised just how much I liked it.

Sam Raimi's blue-print is in full effect, and there is even a lot of "Evil Dead"-ish touches to it.

At first I thought the crowd was going to be small, but a lot of people showed up 5 mins before the trailers started and the crowd was in the palm of Raimi's hand the entire time.

All these studios so fixated on remakes and sequels, need to watch this flick and take notes. It's not always necessary to reinvent the wheel in order to make a great horror flick that gives the crowd everything it wants.

Also, this movie is definately proof that the "PG-13 Horror flick automatically = lame" sentiments is definately not true.

Only part of the night that sucked was walking up to the ticket window to see that general admission has now gone up to $10.25 per ticket, FUCK!

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally saw it tonight after a busy weekend. What a fucking masterpiece. First off, I figured I'd be the only person in my theater and was looking forward to that. The place was packed. A few people even brought small children. They didn't stay long. In fact, I'd say about fifteen people ran out. I wish I'd been taking notes. I've never seen anything like it. There was a man in there with his girlfriend wearing matching tattoo parlor t-shirts. The guy had to be six feet tall, six feet wide, and covered with skulls and terminators. When
Alison Lohman, who was great, knocked over the corpse and it spewed enbalming fluid on it, people were freaking out, but when the corpse looked at her
this huge guy declared "Welp! Let's go!" and grabbed her and rushed out. Brilliant. Other notable things:

-The genuinely frightening prologue
-The Evil Dead II homages, especially the tools having chalk outlines in the workshed
-The "Hang in There" kitty poster. I was dying when I saw it.
-The talking goat
biiiiiiiiiiiitch
and the whole seance

A+++++++ I hope they make a sequel and call it Drag Me To Hell, Too

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
I liked it, but as my first Raimi horror I was expecting a little more. My wife laughed but she hated it in the end, women.

The Coat Is My Father

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Very disappointing movie. It was neither as funny nor as deranged as it needed to be for it to be effective. I blame both on the PG-13 rating.

Just rent the two Evil Dead films instead, and don't bother with this.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I totally disagree that the film wasn't effective in it's execution just because it was PG-13.......in fact this had to be one of the first PG-13 horror types that WORKED. What else would you need for it to be "effective?" Gore and language? I don't get it. The over the top story, characters, and the campiness of it all was in full force here. Totally entertaining flick to see in the theater, especially since I was right behind a 60-70 year old asian couple who, in between being blatantly loud by talking in korean to each other on and off during the entire film (which was annoying yet not nearly as offensive as some loud and obnoxious teenagers can be), were laughing their ass off when hardly nobody else was. Alot of the people in the theater seemed to not get the humor side of the film whatsoever. I'm sure that's across the board everywhere, especially considering how the film was promoted as versus what it ended up being.

Saying not to bother with this film blows me away, especially if you have seen and are a fan of the Evil Dead series. This was classic Raimi, and was easily right up there in quality with the Evil Dead films, Darkman, etc.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
6.5 out of 10. I thought the horror parts worked very well. Loved the fight in the parking lot. But the comedy and slapstibk took me out of it too much. I was expecting it to be there, but be better. The last 10 minutes or so dragged only cause the envelope deal was seen by everyone coming a mile away. Cool last minute of the movie though. I wanted to like it more, but the comedy hurt more than it helped.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
I'd say the only part I really laughed at through the movie was the seance. Man that was great.
The Lamia-posessed indian guy riverdancing over the fire had me dying. And of course "BIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!"

This movie is great though. Loved the fight scene in the parking lot. And this does prove that PG-13 horror can work, or at least, PG-13 horror directed by Sam Raimi.

Migoli

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I know it wasnt meant to be taken this way but i'm going to go ahead and consider this a Evil Dead movie. It felt alot like a updated Evil Dead movie.

That goat and all the liquids that were flowing killed me.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Migoli said:
I know it wasnt meant to be taken this way but i'm going to go ahead and consider this a Evil Dead movie. It felt alot like a updated Evil Dead movie.

I kind of thought that at the end too, or at least thinking that how cool would it be for them to do a direct sequal to DMTH and have the chick's boyfriend, out of having no idea how to try to get her back, calls on Ash somehow or someway to get her back out of hell. Would make a great Evil Dead/Drag Me to Hell teamup.