Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

E3 2009

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
I just played Ducktales again the other day. The gameplay of that game holds up ridiculously well today.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Black Lushus said:
What's wrong with Duck Tales?

I have no idea why I didn't like it, it just didn't appeal to me. Too non linear, I guess. Although the music was fantastic.

Duck Tales 2 actually is more linear. It has a secret level, too.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
I bet the only thing reworked about this will be the addition of "shake wiimote to get zombie off of you."

Apparently, not even this. According to Joystiq:

Here's a link to a review of the Resident Evil remake for GameCube that came out in 2002. Capcom didn't put any effort changing anything about the game before bringing it to the Wii under the moniker Resident Evil Archives, so we didn't think any effort would be required on our part to detail any non-existent changes.

It's the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil, albeit with a wider disc and a $30 price tag. If you've never played the game, it might be worth picking up -- if you can't find the cheaper, completely identical Gamecube version, that is. If you're hoping for any form of innovation, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

ZGangsta

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crysis 2 being announced as a console title as well as PC was pretty disappointing. The first one was already far above and beyond what the consoles could handle in terms of graphics\physics\execution, so there's no way the second one can be an improvement in those areas. So the developers are going to be completely hampered in terms of what they can pull of since they have to scale everything down for the consoles.

Star Wars: The Old Republic looks like it has some potential, and the God of War 3 trailer was definitely badass.

M

Matt Young

The percentage of people who own a computer that can outperform a 360 or PS3 is probably fairly small, and those people, having invested so much into their setups, would probably never play console games anyway. In general, that is; not necessarily you.

Jer

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Even if it ends up being a Castlevania in name only, the new Castlevania looks really cool. How can anything that involves both Patrick Steward and Kojima not be good?

Man I want to play Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers again now. Loved them as a kid. I remember them being easy, too, so I might be able to get through them without giving up, like I do with most NES games. NES games were so hard!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Agreed. I read that @ 2008 E3 Lords of Shadow was a stand alone game and had nothing to do with Kojima or Castlevania.. I guess Konami saw the potential to revive the franchise with a game that was taking so many elements from it in the first place.. why not? I'm not tied to the Belmont name or anything like that, so a new story that has the CV name in front of it is fine by me.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jer said:
Even if it ends up being a Castlevania in name only, the new Castlevania looks really cool. How can anything that involves both Patrick Steward and Kojima not be good?

And Robert Carlyle AND Jason Isaacs! I'm betting Jason voices some smooth looking bastard, since that's pretty much what he does nowadays on screen.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this CV game, now. Just showed my girlfriend the trailer. You know you have a keeper when she marks out for video game trailers. :D

El Psycho Diablo

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
ZGangsta said:
Crysis 2 being announced as a console title as well as PC was pretty disappointing. The first one was already far above and beyond what the consoles could handle in terms of graphics\physics\execution, so there's no way the second one can be an improvement in those areas. So the developers are going to be completely hampered in terms of what they can pull of since they have to scale everything down for the consoles.

The developers wanted to do it. There's an interview from a while back about how ticked off they were about how widely pirated Crysis was on the PC.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Attn: NoCalMike and Cartman. You won beta codes in our contest, fair and square. Check your PM's on gamesandme for your code.

M

Matt Young

I would have entered if I owned a PS3. Thoth, you should give me a PS3 for kindly linking Mike to your web site. ;)

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ducktales is fucking hard as shit.

Any game with such low life bars and infinitely respawning tricky enemies is hard.

I used to beat the gameboy version routinely as a small child though, and it was basically the same game, so obviously it can be done. It must be harder on a keyboard as well.

Doesn't make the moon music any less bad-ass ;)

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Uncharted 2: Multiplayer is pretty cool. I like the simple yet fun approach to to it. It looks and feels like Uncharted. I have only played Deathmatch so far, when I get home from work tonight I wanna see what the cooperative mode is all about.

Any other codes for this laying around? I got some friends that are mighty interested. ;)

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Uncharted 2: Multiplayer is pretty cool. I like the simple yet fun approach to to it. It looks and feels like Uncharted. I have only played Deathmatch so far, when I get home from work tonight I wanna see what the cooperative mode is all about.

Any other codes for this laying around? I got some friends that are mighty interested. ;)

I've really only played it for a few matches, but the matches seem a little hectic, and nearly impossible to really use the climbing mechanic to get a better shot at your opponents. So far it feels like a standard, run of the mill shooter. Not bad, just nothing revolutionary.

El Psycho Diablo

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
So no one has bothered to tell them how bad piracy is on consoles these days then?

This week, Crytek president Cevat Yerli said that piracy was so bad on the PC-exclusive Crysis, that the studio would no longer be making PC-exclusive titles.

“I believe that’s the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy… PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more," he said in an interview with PC Play. "It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won’t have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/crytek-crysis-was-most-pirated-project

The 360 and PS3 aren't nearly as bad as say, the PS2/DS/PSP in terms of piracy. Especially with the PS3, because of the huge ass Blu-Ray ISOs.

Vigo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
El Psycho Diablo said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
So no one has bothered to tell them how bad piracy is on consoles these days then?

This week, Crytek president Cevat Yerli said that piracy was so bad on the PC-exclusive Crysis, that the studio would no longer be making PC-exclusive titles.

“I believe that’s the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy… PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more," he said in an interview with PC Play. "It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won’t have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/crytek-crysis-was-most-pirated-project

The 360 and PS3 aren't nearly as bad as say, the PS2/DS/PSP in terms of piracy. Especially with the PS3, because of the huge ass Blu-Ray ISOs.

Honestly, your average gamer isn't aware of pirating console games and/or doesn't want to go and mod their system to do it. PC piracy is easy. I think that was one of the first things I did when I got my first computer was go find a site with free games.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I honestly hate PC (or Mac) gaming. I can't get into it. I tried many many years ago, but nada. Didn't work out for me.

ZGangsta

Integral Poster
Reaction score
El Psycho Diablo said:
ZGangsta said:

The developers wanted to do it. There's an interview from a while back about how ticked off they were about how widely pirated Crysis was on the PC.
I'm definitely sympathetic to that. It's especially annoying for Crysis since the audience for that game was the hardware enthusiasts and such. It was pretty irritating to got to a hardware/overclocking forum and see all these threads and posts about cracking Cysis and where you can get a torrent from and such. Meanwhile these people have super high end, pimped out computers in their signatures.
So you'll spend more than 2000 dollars to build a top end machine to play the latest and greatest game at its highest settings, but then refuse to drop another 50 to play that fucking game?

I'm sure Crytek will do an amazing job with the sequel, but it can't live up to its potential in a lot of areas due to the console bottleneck. But the business case for developing it for the consoles as well is just way to strong.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
I honestly hate PC (or Mac) gaming.
ttile%20lol.jpg

I bet you I can build a PC that'll run Crysis at full setting for under $1k. $2k is ridiculous.

ZGangsta

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
dubq said:
I honestly hate PC (or Mac) gaming.
ttile%20lol.jpg

I bet you I can build a PC that'll run Crysis at full setting for under $1k. $2k is ridiculous.
Crysis 1? Of course, the game is a year and a half old so the cost of a machine that would run it at full has gone down tons since it came out.

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which is, of course, another reason why it didn't sell that well.

Let me put it this way: I'm sure a lot of people didn't buy Crysis to PLAY Crysis, they bought it to RUN Crysis, as like a benchmark software. No one's gonna pay for that...

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
From ONM:

Shigeru Miyamoto is less than convinced about Microsoft's challenger to Wii's motion control crown. Microsoft's Project Natal does away with the need for controllers, but the Nintendo designer feels that it might not be the best way forward for gaming.

Where Nintendo has simplified the act of controlling games, Microsoft reckons it can go one better and do away with controllers completely.

However, Miyamoto says that gamers need the feedback of physical controllers for an experience that "truly feels interactive".

"As someone who thinks of things from the perspective of creating interactive experiences, I really think that you do need something [to hold in your hand]," he said.

"I don't think as a creator that I could create an experience that truly feels interactive if you don't have something to hold in your hand, if you don't have something like force feedback that you can feel from the controller. That's why I think the Wii remote, particularly with Wii MotionPlus, makes for such a strong experience."

"We've been working with motion control for several years now, and have really learned how to take advantage of it and what can be done with it," he said in an interview with Wired.

"Looking at what the other companies have shown here at E3, it feels like they have finally obtained the very basic technology for doing motion control, but perhaps they still have to learn how to use that and take advantage of it in an interactive experience."

And Ben Yathzee Zero Punctuation Crowshaw's take on E3:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/779-The-Second-Annual-E3-Hype-Massacre

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have to agree with him on that one. I would find myself hard-pressed to get into something that has no peripheral devices involved in controlling the game. I mean, am I supposed to stand there like an idiot an "air gun" for FPS games? Or even an air "guitar" for Guitar Hero type games? Can't see it happening, Microshaft, sorry.

One thing I really wish Nintendo would bring back and redo is the Power Glove. I still think that thing (especially if it were in a pair and not just one glove) could be a pretty sweet device for today's crop of games.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Nintendo didn't make the first Power Glove, so they wouldn't be responsible for another one.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was Mattel, I think. I just mean the concept - it doesn't have to be another PowerGlove (TM).