Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ESPN Sucks 3rd Version

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard an espn radio host wonder to his co-hosts how much credit Lebron deserves for the Indians run. Because you see, je brought winning back to Cleveland sports

Staff member
Reaction score
All this disrespect for the real first Cleveland champ

THE STIPE

IYB6XVb.gif

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Follow

ESPNVerified account
‏@espn
Maryland women's basketball team beat an opponent by 129 points.

Yeah, you read that right.

Jemele HillVerified account
‏@jemelehill Jemele Hill Retweeted ESPN
THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!

I was very pleased to see that tweet lead to several Rocky IV references in Jemele's mentions.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
So, I have a tab open to twitter.com, showing a live feed of LeBatard's mentions, and I'm flabbergasted as to how many people are calling this ongoing Mary J. Blige/Maxwell discussion "race talk." Like, how fucking white do you have to be? They're talking about music, you dumb fucks! The two musicians they're talking about just happen to be black; that doesn't count as "race talk."

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So I went to ESPN.com and it looks like Twitter. Why the fuck?

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're grasping at straws. I feel like it's been like this for a while, but has gotten so busy that you can hardly navigate to just check a box score.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Magic Johnson is returning to ESPN to be part of their pre game coverage

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Our long national nightmare is finally over:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chris-berman-out-as-face-of-espns-nfl-coverage-after-this-year/ar-BBxWgXh?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Berman done after the SuperBowl.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mike Greenberg is leaving "Mike and Mike" to host another morning program for ESPN. ESPN is totally revamping their morning programming due to plummeting numbers

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
TV only, I hope. I'm going to feel some kind of way if they replace LeBatard with Mike fucking Greenberg.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brent Musburger is retiring at the end of the month. You can't make this stuff up: He now plans to go to Las Vegas to help start up a family sports handicapping business.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Anyone want to guess how much money ESPN is hemorrhaging now?

It says something that ESPN's biggest full time star is Stephen A Smith.

Losing BIGLY

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
#sorrynotsorry said:
Anyone want to guess how much money ESPN is hemorrhaging now?

It says something that ESPN's biggest full time star is Stephen A Smith.

Losing BIGLY

Found this from November 11th: http://www.wsj.com/articles/cmo-today-espn-struggles-amid-subscriber-decline-1478867648

ESPN saw advertising revenue fall 13%, resulting from a decline in daily fantasy sports commercials and the fact rival NBCUniversal gobbled up ad dollars for the Olympics. Disney also said affiliate revenue declined because of ESPN’s subscriber loss, which sparked a heated back and forth with Nielsen when the measurement company reported that ESPN lost 621,000 subscribers in a month.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Damn losing 620000 subscribers in one month!? I don't know what their total viewership is but that's significant regardless.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I've always been confused by these reports, and reading the article that HQ linked to doesn't really make it any clearer for me. Like, why is the narrative written as though ESPN is the only cable network losing subscribers? Is that really true? Are people calling into their providers and instructing them in some variation of "Get rid of ESPN, but leave me everything else"?

And, if ESPN alone is losing 620K subscribers... where are they going? It's not like these people all quit watching sports. They're not going to FS1, that's for sure.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I've always been confused by these reports, and reading the article that HQ linked to doesn't really make it any clearer for me. Like, why is the narrative written as though ESPN is the only cable network losing subscribers? Is that really true? Are people calling into their providers and instructing them in some variation of "Get rid of ESPN, but leave me everything else"?

And, if ESPN alone is losing 620K subscribers... where are they going? It's not like these people all quit watching sports. They're not going to FS1, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm not sure I follow the argument that ESPN is losing subscribers. As far as I know, and it is true for Dish Network which I have, you can't subscribe to individual channels. You can't just cancel ESPN. You have to downgrade to a lower package that doesn't include ESPN and about 40 other channels (Food, History, Discovery, etc.). It isn't like in Canada where you can just pick and choose what you want.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
People are cutting cable or downsizing to packages without ESPN. I'm sure other channels are experiencing this, but this is about ESPN.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
#sorrynotsorry said:
People are cutting cable or downsizing to packages without ESPN. I'm sure other channels are experiencing this, but this is about ESPN.

But that's what I'm saying, though: just like KR said, I'm not aware of any cable/satellite service in which ESPN is its own cable package/suite. I get that people are downsizing and cutting cable, but why isn't it being reported like that? How come all of the headlines read, "ESPN loses half a million subscribers," and not, say, "MTV loses half a million subscribers," or "DirecTV loses half a million subscribers"?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
...But this is an ESPN thread. I'm sure if you wanted to find those kind of reports you can search the name of the network or cable provider and find those headlines.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
#sorrynotsorry said:

But that's what I'm saying, though: just like KR said, I'm not aware of any cable/satellite service in which ESPN is its own cable package/suite. I get that people are downsizing and cutting cable, but why isn't it being reported like that? How come all of the headlines read, "ESPN loses half a million subscribers," and not, say, "MTV loses half a million subscribers," or "DirecTV loses half a million subscribers"?
ESPN is part of a tier of channels I had to pay extra to get on the Comcast/Xfinity service, otherwise I had only local channels and maybe ten other random ones. That's why I wonder if their drop in subscriptions is due to that. MTV may get grouped in with other packages that aren't blatant "if you want this you need to buy ALL OF THESE" deals.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
The Satisfied BJ said:
...But this is an ESPN thread. I'm sure if you wanted to find those kind of reports you can search the name of the network or cable provider and find those headlines.

Clearly my Google-fu is weak.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
In an example of why ESPN doesn't suck, this is why I love LeBatard's show. Two segments into the national show, and he's barely even acknowledged that the Super Bowl happened.

EDIT - And boy, are people in his mentions mad about it...

Update: four segments, and counting.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
So, ultimately, LeBatard made it an hour and forty-five minutes into a three-hour national sports show without talking about the Super Bowl, and Cian Fahey is up next.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.