Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ESPN Sucks 3rd Version

Richard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

Well ESPN gave up its facade of having hockey coverage.

I didn't see Melrose on the list.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Harley Quinn said:
Some other names of note getting released/axed: Trent Dilfer, Jayson Stark, Danny Kannell (Radio), Jeremy Crabtree, Jim Bowden, and Karl Ravech/Hannah Storm will see reduced roles.

It almost seems as if ESPN's reaction to being accused of liberal bias and not having enough hardcore sports talk is to fire most of their hardcore sports talk personalities. Which would be hilarious, if that was what was actually happening... And would also suit me right down the ground: I loathe hardcore sports talk, anyway.

I don't listen that much at all to ESPN radio or any of their podcasts. Who at ESPN talks "hardcore sports" anymore? It seems to be a thing of the past. Again maybe it isn't because I don't listen much.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
if they get rid of Neal Everett I'll start watching Sportscenter again. I don't watch a fraction of the Espn that I used to.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
strummer said:
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Harley Quinn said:
Some other names of note getting released/axed: Trent Dilfer, Jayson Stark, Danny Kannell (Radio), Jeremy Crabtree, Jim Bowden, and Karl Ravech/Hannah Storm will see reduced roles.

It almost seems as if ESPN's reaction to being accused of liberal bias and not having enough hardcore sports talk is to fire most of their hardcore sports talk personalities. Which would be hilarious, if that was what was actually happening... And would also suit me right down the ground: I loathe hardcore sports talk, anyway.

I don't listen that much at all to ESPN radio or any of their podcasts. Who at ESPN talks "hardcore sports" anymore? It seems to be a thing of the past. Again maybe it isn't because I don't listen much.

YMMV, but Mike & Mike and Russillo & Kannell, if you don't think they qualify as "hardcore" sports talk, well... they were entirely too close to it for my tastes. There's probably not much in terms of radio that qualifies as "hardcore" sports talk, if you don't think M&M and R&K count, but there's definitely a lot of "hot taek" radio happening. As far as podcasts, ESPN definitely has some "hardcore" sports podcasts: I imagine that The Golf Podcast, Hockey Today, The Lowe Post, Fantasy Focus, and shows like that are nothing but "hardcore" sports.

See, I may have a much lower threshold for the standard for "hardcore" sports talk than some others, because I look at it like this: if I want scores, I'll just hit the ESPN app on my phone, or log into the website right fast. I don't actually want highlights, and I don't actually want analysis; that shit is not relevant to my interests. What I actually want from my sports media personalities is men and women who discuss sports in the larger context of current events and pop culture, and whom also talk about current events and pop culture in the context of sports. Pretty much anything else falls under what I personally classify as "hardcore" sports.

That's why people like Bomani and Amin and LeBatard and Pablo Torre and Sarah Spain and Michael and Jemele are more relevant to my interests. I neither need nor want to listen to a breakdown of the fourth quarter between OKC and Houston, nor do I care to hear anyone's hot take about whether Westbrook shoots too much, or does he have enough help. But, someone who wants to examine why it's problematic that a particular segment of fans are against athletes having more power and more agency, or why Hunter Green is probably not going to rejuvenate black interest in baseball? Yeah, I'll take more of that, please and thank you.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Speaking of sports radio, what's the deal with some of these trash local shows, like in Boston, and their wack-ass fans, and their feeling some kind of sense of entitlement to the attention of national personalities? Like this buster Kirk Minihane stays steady taking shots at ESPN personalities (usually POC and/or women), and when they rightfully call him a buster, he gets all, "Well, why won't you come on my show, then?" And then, all his trash fans start harassing whichever personality on ESPN Minihane called out, and accuse them of being"cowards," if they don't come on Minihane's show. Like, they feel entitled for whomever their little dude local guy is beefing up with to come on his show, and confront him on his terms. What does the national guy gain from that?

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Living in the Boston area, having to choose between the buffons on one "sports" morning show where the hosts would rather whine about everything than talk about sports, because they dont know shit about sports...and the other show you mentioned with Kirk Minihane, who is just an antagonistic piece of shit, is brutal these days. Moswt of the other shows through the midday and evening are good, but mornings are just garbage now. Minihane spends most of his morning show, like you said, tryig to pick fights with people, or talking about the inside politics of the Boston radio world.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hate to see someone lose their job but I'm not exactly going to miss Dallas Braden on telecasts. I guess they have to fill his "bro, seriously bro" type humor with another "quirky" left hander (Mark Mulder still around?) Zito?

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Truehoop had become not just my favorite NBA podcast but one of my favorite pods period. ESPN gutted it firing Henry Abbott, Ethan Straus, possible Amin and others and now the pod is on indefinite hiatus. And in the middle of the fucking playoffs no less

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Berman's wife died yesterday in a car accident.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/19349242/kathy-berman-wife-espn-icon-chris-berman-dies-car-accident

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ESPN keeps making news with its roster of talent. Sporting News reported Wednesday that longtime NFL reporter John Clayton was among the recent layoffs that hit the network. Clayton had been with the network for 23 years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/08/espn-transforms-espnu-espn8-ocho-august-8/?sf103527611=1

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only 13 years after Dodgeball's release. That's WWE levels of pop culture efficiency!

Staff member
Reaction score
It is easy for me to say from here, but I don't think I'd be able to go back to work after my employer pulled a piece of shit move like that.

LaVar Ball

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
Bitch got what she deserved! This is just another example of why women shouldn't be on TV, in media, or any kind of forum that allows them to open their big ass mouths. Get off the damn Twitter, bring me a beer and shut the fuck up!

Staff member
Reaction score
Journalists are gonna have to unionize. It is too easy for right wing media to target journalists (specifically women and people of color) and hound them out of a job.

Staff member
Reaction score
Old school tough guy said:
As long as liberals keep visiting trash sites like ESPN, this shit won't change.

Lol the actual problem is that there aren't enough liberals who go to sites like ESPN. Or CNN or anywhere else people get punished for telling the truth. They get punished because there isn't enough of our money out there to justify their employee making controversial comments. Liberals continuing to withdraw their money/clicks has created a situation where companies have to cater to moderates and conservatives in order to make a buck. Smartening up and not paying for dated bullshit has created a society where the brain drain is accelerated out of financial necessity.

The vast majority of fake news out there has come into play as a result of companies needing to sell ad space. Smart companies are too intelligent to buy them, so in steps groups who market to people too dumb to know how to block those ads. The ad space has to be sold to someone so people can stay afloat. This is the conundrum of capitalism.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily there are sites like http://culturecrossfire.com/ where we've given up on ever making any money!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
You can't say anything negative about the NFL, which is ESPN's meal ticket, and not expect something to happen. Don't say I agree what they did, because I don't.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
You can't say anything negative about the NFL, which is ESPN's meal ticket, and not expect something to happen. Don't say I agree what they did, because I don't.

The NFL got them to cancel their Playmakers series because the NFL didn't like it. Show wasn't half bad and did well for them in ratings.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ESPN's total lack of firewall between sales and the news desk is one of the reasons their "journalism" has generally been a joke since time immemorial.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Nah, ESPN's journalism is fine. The disconnect comes from people who appear to think that that's all they should exist for. Well that, and show live games and highlights. Which, from my point of view, sounds awful.