Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Fast Food Burger Shootout

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered those last night. They weren't terrible because Wendy's cheese + fries is always fine with me, but yeah, this new fast food trend of advertising stuff as hot when it has less kick than a bag of BBQ chips is the worst.

Taco Bell has new "Diablo" sauce that still isn't as hot as, like, Frank's hot sauce.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
On the subject of fast food spicy food and how it's usually something that is exaggerated greatly and merely gives it a slight spice / kick flavour, I ordered the El Diablo burger from Carl's Jr. in my US travels last month thinking nothing of it.

This one is NOT a lie - it really is incredibly hot. And not bad!

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
menu_feature_nacho_bites.jpg

Any Canadians try these things from Harvey's?

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went to a Harvey's for the first time in years a month or so back, they've really tried to up their game in terms of toppings/sauces. Burgers still tasted the same.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/08/26/mcdonalds-snubs-burger-kings-proposal-to-create-a-mcwhopper-for-peace.html

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We'll just have to do it ourselves. Most BKs and McDs are within a few hundred yards of each other anyway.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28/9220177/ronda-rousey-carl-jr-s-commercial-video

mV8A47D.gif

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ronda with the oral skillz.

On a lark I decided to go to Elevation Burger last week. I have to admit, as over priced as they are (and yes I know their beef is free range no steroids all natural fresh made blahblahfuckingblah, they hit you over the fucking head with their message its still over priced), it was pretty damned good. Not to mention any burger joint that has swiss cheese as an option gets a +1 from me.

That being said, I think the concept of fresh cut fries is total bullshit. Unless you eat them within two minutes of them coming out of the fryer, they are not crispy enough. I have to take them home and no sir, I didn't like them. I saw earlier in the thread someone commenting on my rant about Wendy's fries when they made the switch, and I will explain it.

Before they switched to "healthier" fries, Wendy's had thicker cut fries than Mickey D's and when they were fresh, they beat the ever loving shit fuck out of Mickey's, which are more or less acknowledged as the best in the world from a fast food chain, although Rally's might have something to say about that. It took BK years and years to get their fries right, and they basically took Wendy's original concept and made it theirs. When fresh and salted just right, BK's equals Mickey's in my view, though the BKs I have been to as of late tend to oversalt them. Nothing kills my love of fries faster than if they're fucking cold or they're oversalted.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to a Smashburger for the first time yesterday. Was satisfied with everything there.

On a separate note, some Five Guys have shakes now :p

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Smashburger is one of those places I always enjoy but have only been a handful of times because I never find an urge to go out of my way for it. The one in walking distance from my work closed so it's been a minute since I've been.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Burger King has a "Halloween" Whopper with the black bun that's been used internationally. Here it is supposedly fused with A1 sauce. I ate it reheated Saturday morning becuase I got too drunk Friday and only finished my Rodeo chicken sandys (extra BBQ, best dollar chicken around since they changed the spicy sauce on that version of the dollar chickens). It was a whopper with a less light bun, couldn't taste A1. And I pooped green three times in a row. That's the big internet reaction to the Halloween Whopper. One and done for me.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
when I typed "Halloween Whopper......." into google the first autofill was "Halloween Whopper Green Poop"

It appears that this is the common reaction

Oddly, this actually makes me want to try one

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
claydude14 said:
Burger King has a "Halloween" Whopper with the black bun that's been used internationally. Here it is supposedly fused with A1 sauce. I ate it reheated Saturday morning becuase I got too drunk Friday and only finished my Rodeo chicken sandys (extra BBQ, best dollar chicken around since they changed the spicy sauce on that version of the dollar chickens). It was a whopper with a less light bun, couldn't taste A1. And I pooped green three times in a row. That's the big internet reaction to the Halloween Whopper. One and done for me.
Agreed. Rodeo chicken is great, Halloween whopper is a disappointment.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good. I've ordered peanut butter and bacon burgers before and they're pretty great. It does look like there's too much Reese's cups overall, but it's not like sweet and savory is a new combination.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Works has a peanut butter, bacon, and banana burger. I haven't had one, but I've been thinking about it.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a fried peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwich. It's OK. Banana tends to overpower everything else, though. So I don't know how it'd be with a burger.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
There's a chain restaurant called The Works in Ontario, Canada.

137 Dunlop St E, Barrie, ON, Canada
+1 705-739-6757

Open until 9:00 pm

https://www.worksburger.com/Home.aspx

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
There's a chain of places called The Works with some wacky burger toppings and names. I went to the one in London once but they had less burgers than they do now: http://www.worksburger.com/Menu/Burger-Menu.aspx

Barking_Cow_Detail.png.aspx

Barking at my Cow

Smoked brisket, Barking Squirrel Beer BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, jack cheese & bacon.

gettin-piggy-withit.png.aspx

Gettin' Piggy with it

Grilled back bacon topped with cheddar & piled high with bacon, bacon ketchup and crunchy onion strings

full-mountie.png.aspx

The Full Mountie

Fresh cut fries, gravy & cheese curds

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
So, what you all are saying is the restaurant is called The Works?

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was not meant to eat at The Works. I could hit a golf ball from my old apartment to the one in downtown St Catharines (and since moving in May, it's maybe a five-minute drive now), but I've made plans to go three separate times and they've all fell through. My mom went and said the peanut butter/bacon/banana burger (called "The Elvis", I believe) was really good.

My old roomie took his girlfriend shortly after the one in St. Kitts opened. Two burgers, two beers and an onion ring cost $70 after tax and tip, he said. I should look into that. Do they have a website?