Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Favorite Hot Sauces

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
With the quinoa and chicken, give it maybe a latin edge. Chiles, calabcita, some beans...

The egg and spice would still fit in, or hell, if you're by an asian market, go traditional. Taking "foreign" foods and remixing them with the northern/eastern european ingredients is kinda my thing.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
I'm Puerto Rican so there's always a ton of ingredients around I can use to give meals a latin flavor. That's not a bad idea at all. I'm not really experimental with my cooking, but I should be. Although since I've been avoiding rice (and a lot of other carbs), red meat, and dairy lately, I've been forced to mix it up and it's been fun so far.

Will definitely try three styles of bibimbap in the next few weeks.

Definitely also want to look for a hot sauce that has great flavor but is lower in sodium than the average bottle.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Oh man, go full bore puerto rican on it. Sofrito, chicken, plantains a couple different ways...maybe do like a mofongo base instead of the rice or noodles, then drop some spicy crab and bacalao in there with some veg.

Mofongo. That's been on my to-do list for a while

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
Dig the sofrito idea for sure. I have jars of homemade sofrito in the freezer. The bacalao is a good idea as well.

I was actually planning on making mofongo today. I personally like shrimp mofongo, and churasco mofongo the best. The shrimp mofongo is best al ajillo, while the others are best with the salsa criolla, imo.

BurningPirateShipSex

BurningPirateShipSex
Reaction score
HORRIBLE NEWS EVERYONE:

It’s a dark day for chiliheads: after weeks of uncertainty, a Los Angeles county judge has ordered Huy Fong Foods, the company that makes Sriracha, to cease all odour-producing operations. The order comes after residents of Irwindale, the city where the sauce is made, filed a lawsuit claiming that noxious chili fumes were causing migraines, heartburn and involuntary crying, and basically making it miserable to be outdoors. Judge Robert O’Brien called the factory’s fumes “extremely annoying, irritating and offensive to the senses” and urged the company to “make changes immediately in its site operations reducing odours and the potential for odours.”

It’s not entirely clear what the order means in the short-term for Huy Fong, which finished grinding up chilis for next year’s hot-sauce supply earlier in the month and has now moved on to the potentially less smelly mixing and bottling stages. In the long term, the company is facing an end-of-days scenario if it can’t reign in its fumes. Part of the problem seems to be the mysterious nature of the chili vapours, which are apparently strong enough to cause bloody noses miles away, but gentle enough to have zero effect on visiting CNN reporters who held their faces directly above the factory’s air vents. The lawsuit goes to trial in a few months; in the meantime, hot sauce lovers may want to consider stocking up.

DCH

The Every Night Delight
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/10/sriracha-hot-sauce-public-nuisance-irwindale-california

Update on the sriracha situation

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So basically, a bunch of filters over the smokestacks, some vanilla-scented diffusers, bob's your uncle.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/G37xqpu4DfE

http://youtu.be/nydDJ5szgKw

Frank's Red Hot Sauces

This seems like something from Idiocracy. Granny's twerkin, Granny's swearin', Granny's on Tinder. I just bought five pounds of wings to cook up for the AFC/NFC Championship Games and I was gonna buy some Frank's Red Hot but after seeing these commercials on Smackdown!, I'm not sure.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I prefer Cholula to Tapatio as my "go-to" hot sauce for mexican food.

41Qqkp-5apL.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I have Cholula and Sriacha on tap at all times at home, depending on what I am eating. Some make sense, some aren't as conventional (I love Cholula on Tuna Casserole).

Recently I picked up some Tappey's Red Devil, as it was fairly cheap and I was making some chicken. Not as hot as my liking but decent enough flavor. Put it on the eggs I made myself this morning, worked out.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
I feel bad for the guy who originally made Sriracha. He never registered the name for trademark and now there are knockoff sauces calling themselves Sriracha everywhere.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Instagram provided me with a $7 coupon for K Pop XXX wing sauce on Amazon. Normally don't click ads, but glad I did.

https://www.amazon.com/KPOP-Foods-Sauce-Authentic-Gochujang/dp/B07MCCC75S

Did wing night and this was the only new one for me. As I bit in, I experienced a pleasant sweetness and I started to be slightly disappointed as it was hyped as spicy. Then the heat hit. It's not the spiciest thing I've ever consumed, but the disparity between the initial sweet and then sudden backdraft of fire caught me off guard. I still prefer a good Sriacha or Tabasco with melted butter wing sauce, but I have to tip my hat to the KPOP brand. I'm thinking of other things it'll pair well with.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
510wVDHox1L._SY445_.jpg

Small local hot sauce that I can only find at the weird hippie craft beer pub down the street from my parents house and the hippie Cajun breakfast place down the street from my parents house. It's so good and I was looking to order a bottle to my girlfriends house but I guess they're temporarily shutdown cause of big 'Rona.

tenor.gif

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
61vkTfKCD8L._PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_AA500SH20_.jpg

So Dexter Holland (Offspring singer) has his own brand of hot sauce so I ordered this pack a few weeks back and finally got around to trying the original and super spicy flavors. Pretty good.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just ordered a 2 pack of Aunt Carol's Sauce. Apparently the man behind the company lost his beloved Aunt Carol to cancer and in response is bottling and selling her hot sauce recipe(s) and donating the proceeds to local community outreach programs. So, if you're in the mindset of "I want to do more for charity, and I'm running low on hot sauce..." this might be the cause for you. Will be using it to sauce some wings and a few other things once it arrives and I will post a review most promptly.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I got a gift subscription last year for Fuego Box. They send three bottles of hot sauce in a box every quarter. I’ve gotten two boxes so far. The first month was a good variety with a seaweed hot sauce that had a good taste but I didn’t feel was hot, a pepper vinegar sauce and then a more traditional one that was on the side of too hot to have flavor.

The most recent one had two standard type ones that didn’t really seem standard, special or memorable but the one that had intrigued, I just opened and put on some black bean burritos I was eating the other night.

EtBL8yfW4Akt-z1

If you can’t tell from the bottle it was a Black Cherry Balsamic Ghost Pepper sauce. I waited because I wasn’t sure if what I expected to be a distinct flavors would go on just anything but I really enjoyed it on those burritos and probably will break it out for my next meal that calls for a hot sauce.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just ordered a 2 pack of Aunt Carol's Sauce. Apparently the man behind the company lost his beloved Aunt Carol to cancer and in response is bottling and selling her hot sauce recipe(s) and donating the proceeds to local community outreach programs. So, if you're in the mindset of "I want to do more for charity, and I'm running low on hot sauce..." this might be the cause for you. Will be using it to sauce some wings and a few other things once it arrives and I will post a review most promptly.
Not very impressed. Paired both spicy and mild with a vegan pizza tonight. Both mild and spicy smell the same upon opening. Both taste closer to a Heinz 57 steak sauce than anything else I could really compare it to. The flavor is pleasant and I wouldn't mind splashing it over some wings. The spicy is not very spicy at all. It's just enough that someone that doesn't eat spicy food would identify it as having kick, but would disappoint the ardent spice enthusiast. The mild is less adventurous than even that. That said, I'm not about to go blow up the reviews with negativity. This is a charity based product at the end of the day and I'm not going put bad vibes in the air. I respect the entrepreneurial and charitable spirit behind the product and I'm hoping other customers like it more than I do.

And I don't think it's necessarily a disconnect of me being used to eating spicy cajun food because I very seldom cook/order from Cajun places, most of the spicy stuff I pursue is in the foods from other countries.

Not going to give up on it after one meal, though. I'm still going to see what happens on wing night. It might pair better on chicken.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
and then a more traditional one that was on the side of too hot to have flavour.
Do you have pretty good tolerance or is this a personal thing? Sometimes I might find a sauce too hot but someone else feels all the flavours because they eat peppers whole, shit like that. I’d say I have a decent tolerance, personally.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
@The Art of Postin' I usually am the bravest one in my circle. I’ve had people comment before that I was crazy for not only some of the hot sauces I use but how much. Like some people I know put a dab of sriracha on and are crying and then they comment that I’d like cover my food in the sriracha. I’ll sit there and eat some ghost pepper stuff barely taking a drink and see someone else who had less sweating.

I typically order things as spicy as possible but that’s where the flavor thing comes in. Most mainstream example, I get the second hottest wing when I go to Buffalo Wild Wings. The hottest to me just tastes hot, I don’t notice pepper flavor or anything specific beyond heat last time I tried. The 2nd hottest has a good flavor to me as well as a good amount of heat.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Okay that makes a lot of sense. This stuff looks pretty cool

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It’s funny you call that out @The Art of Postin' . The Cherry Balsamic came because someone gave me the year of quarterly boxes from Fuego Box as a gift last year. I haven’t been sent any of those in the one you sent but I was debating do an order to buy some backups of my favorites that I finished. But then I realized I had a cart of like 8 bottles of hot sauce for $70 before shipping and held out.

I did just get this quarter’s box in the past week and while I’ve only tried one so far, I really enjoyed it.
hellfire-devils-blend-scotch-bonnet-hot-sauce-heat-level-05-meta-related-collection-chilly-chiles-liquid-brown-bottle-amber-alcoholic-beverage-alcohol-beer-841_2048x.jpg

A Caribbean-inspired Scotch Bonnet hot sauce with pineapple, pears and papaya and a heat boost from Yellow 7 Pot & Fatalii peppers. Pair with chicken, seafood, rice dishes and omelets.

It has the sweetness but a real kick. I just found this description from another site (that gives this a five out of five pepper hotness) and saw the recommended pairings. I tried it on a kinda knockoff Philly I made with some deli roast beef cooked in a pan with a ton of peppers, onions and mushrooms. Then I put some on some beef tacos befuae I liked it. Definitely think it may pair even better with some chicken or the omelet sounds good.