Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Favourite Wrestling Games

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This could go in retrogaming but I think it's a genre popular enough (especially here) that it deserves it's own thread.

Let's list and reminisce!

Most of my faves are on SNES --

588507_40306_front.jpg
Natsume_Championship_Wrestling_SNES_ScreenShot2.gif

Natsume Championship Wrestling.. this was a remake of an AJPW game. It was my first experience with a timing based grappler and prepared me for the greatness that is...

1.gif
3.gif

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium.. I don't think I even need to explain why I love this one! :D

...and of course the N64 days --

199352_43306_front.jpg

s_1.jpg

WWF Wrestlemania 2000.. I honestly think that I enjoyed this one more than No Mercy. No Mercy was great, but I had played this one with friends much more often when it first came out so I have more fond memories of the game.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I spent many a Sunday at my aunt's with Natsume Pro Wrestling. Who knew they'd turn into the Harvest Moon company, eh?

I prefered No Mercy to WM2000, but now I prefer No Mercy emulated on PC just so it eliminates the slowdown in 4-wrestler matches. That and the multitude of mods out there keeping it interesting.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Here Comes The Pain. I've spents countless hours playing and replaying it. I can still break it out once or twice a year and play it for days. The precreated move sets for Japanese wrestlers was so great.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes! HCTP is still my favourite in that series. The roster was awesome. The season mode and draft were great, as well!

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, I thought I was one of the few who played Natsume Wrestling. I had that game...bought it at the local Shopko for real cheap...like $20.00, which was nothing for an SNES game at the time, considering I think WWF RAW was like 80 bucks when I bought that game brand new. At first I hated it, because I didn't understand how to win grapples, but then I figured out the timing...and then got how good the game was. I think that was the first game I remember seeing powerbombs and moonsaults in.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Totally! The sheer amount of different powerbombs in this game was just pure joy to me! I think there were like 3 or 4!

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
King of Colosseum 2 has given me many epic battles of joy. Nothing like a 20 minute triple threat of Chono, Taue, and Liger on the game... and the wars I had with the teams of Kojima/Tenzan and Hansen/Lesnar.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big three for me are essentially No Mercy, Here Comes the Pain and FPW Returns. No Mercy's great for obvious reasons, but HCTP has a fantastic roster and as far as match types is pretty damn good. You don't much better than playing a chickenshit heel in the 10 Minute Hardcore Battle Royal jumping into the backstage container with 20 seconds to go so nobody can pin you in time.

Fire Pro I use largely for Elimination Tags. I've recreated classic and fantasy Surivor Series matches a ridiculous amount.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I used to love the WCW game for NES, WCW Vs The World, the WWE NES and SNES games, Revenge, WM 2000, No Mercy, HCTP, Fire Pro Returns, and currently I love Legends of Wrestlemania. I use to play that Power Move Pro-Wrestling quite a bit too.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My favourite wrestling game for a long, long time was WCW Revenge. I don't know why, but it just rocked it. WWF WrestleMania 2000 is up there.The very first WWF SmackDown! game too, due to its revolutionary tendencies at the time.

I used to play WWF Warzone every Friday noontime as my friends house. WWF Attitude came out and it was bug-ridden, which put me off wrestling games for a while.

WWF Royal Rumble for the Dreamcast anyone? You take Big Show or Undertaker and just power everybody out of the ring.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I love Fire Pro Wrestling because of it's insane customization. I could recreate Dumont Wrestling from Marigold Garden if I wanted.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
100% YES to Tecmo on NES! I still remember the day I saw the ad for it in Nintendo Power. I must've read it a billion times before my parents got me the game for my birthday.

Perfxion

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2196.jpg

First wrestling game I ever played. Best thing in the game, STAR MAN!

250px-Fire_Pro_Wrestling_Returns.jpg

Best wrestling game in the last 5 years.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
Yes! HCTP is still my favourite in that series. The roster was awesome. The season mode and draft were great, as well!

Absolutely. I still break it out and play hardcore matches... I just had a nice session of old-school ECW favorites (Taz, Raven and Tommy Dreamer) in Triple Threat matches.... good stress relief, being able to Tazplex someone through a table.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll have to give a shout out to Def Jam Vendetta. It used the No Mercy/WM 2000/Revenge combat system, but added in a tweak where you will get rewarded for doing different moves. It doesn't have a wrestling license, of course, so if you hate rap and all things rappers you probably will want to give it a miss, but I am not a big fan of the genre and still appreciated how awesome the game was.

Nothing will top some of the games listed in the topic, I just thought I'd give this one a mention too.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been hoping for a modern day Saturday Night Slam Masters for years now. Use to love that game, anyone know if it's in any sort of Capcom collection?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't like HCTP for a while and thought it was the most overhyped game of the Smackdown series (My favorite used to Shut Your Mouth... it had MaVen!) but I grew to appreciate right after Mania 20 when Ultimo, Lesnar, Goldberg, Rock, and Austin all left the company. I've had so many wars with Lesnar, Steiner, and Kane with Ultimo as my WWE champion. I used to love setting up a roster of jobbers, just like in Shut Your Mouth where my Main Event scene on RAW was dominated by Mark Henry, MaVen, and Regal.

Since the PS2 went out, I have rediscovered my love for all the N64 wrestling games, especially Revenge. There's nothing like leading Executioner Kobashi or Shogun Kawada to the US and TV titles. Only thing missing from the game is Flair.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW against The World.

There was one reason and one reason I loved that game. You could kill your real life opponent with boredom. When playing, you can flip your opponents wrestler over on to his front. You could flip him on to his back.

For ten straight minutes, I really pissed my friend off by just turning his wrestler over and over again. He couldn't do anything about it.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I had Glacier as my Zybysko in the game. Just ran outside, taunted a lot, hit his finisher about 3 or 4 times, and would win the match. He made a great chickenshit heel in that game. Then my brother had to be Hall and destroyed me for 10 minutes. I miss the old days of just setting up tourneys, and keeping track of champs in the game.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
I'll have to give a shout out to Def Jam Vendetta. It used the No Mercy/WM 2000/Revenge combat system, but added in a tweak where you will get rewarded for doing different moves. It doesn't have a wrestling license, of course, so if you hate rap and all things rappers you probably will want to give it a miss, but I am not a big fan of the genre and still appreciated how awesome the game was.
First game I thought of, actually. Fight For New York was better, but that's a different genre.

KanadianKrusty

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adam said:
WWF Royal Rumble for the Dreamcast anyone? You take Big Show or Undertaker and just power everybody out of the ring.

Sorry, but this doesn't belong on any favorite list anywhere ever, paid about 5 bucks for it and felt completely ripped off. There's just *no* replay value whatsoever.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh, man. I found it one of those guilty pleasure games. Each to their own, although I can see your point about me being on my own here.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
WCW v NWO Revenge was one of my favorite games, just because it was the one me and my mate played the most. We had renamed all the 'random' wrestlers (who I later found out were based on legit guys) as people we knew. So it was funny to see them come running down during battle royals.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Revenge was the game that you could also modify the wrestlers and it changed the intro video sequence. I dressed Randy Savage in all pink and there he was, driving a truck in all pink.

Good times.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a small feeling you're not wrong Peng.

It's been a long time since I played.