Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Favourite Wrestling Games

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever played any of the NES WWF games besides the first WrestleMania (which was chronologically the first in line of disappointing wrestling games I tried to like). Why NES Games were still available to rent into the late '90s, I'm not sure but I rented it multiple times. I never saw the other two or even played them on emulators for some reason.

I did love me some Pro Wrestling on the NES though. Has that game been mentioned? Don't want to rummage through the thread again but I'd be shocked if it hasn't. Great stuff. Up there with Punch Out!!!, RBI Baseball, and Rampage as my favorite games for the classic Nintendo.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I picked up a game on the Playstation for like 10 bucks....can't remember the name for the life of me...cam out before WCW vs. The World and I THINK it was with the AKI engine. Virtua Pro Wrestling I think.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had the aforementioned WWF Royal Rumble game on Sega Genesis, and I freaking loved it. I played that game for hours.

Def Jam was awesome on the PS2, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't listen to much rap and didn't know who probably half the characters were. The game play was just great.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
971wzq.jpg

LEX LUGER (!)

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LOL Luger.

Also, Takers speed over all of Bret Hart's stats.

HTQ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Indy Forever mod for the N64 is a good blast, even if it does have a glitch of giving Ian Rotten a dozen different moves in his repertoire.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Power Move Pro Wrestling was fun for its time, and once I started getting a basic knowledge of puro (and wrestling altogether, since it came out not long after I started getting into it) it became even more fun.

Agent Orange = Tenzan (not even much of a stretch here, just the camo shorts is different)
Sparrow = Great Muta
Area 51 = Sting

And the others are a bit harder to do, but those are the easy ones to figure out due to movesets and general appearance.

My top 2, overall, are No Mercy and SVR '06. SVR '06 is the pinnacle of the SVR series, and I think that the little limitations make it a bit better to play than HCTP. The pacing in the ring is more realistic, even with Stamina turned off, and big moves are more likely to end a match than they are in HCTP. Plus? I made a ton of CAWs of characters I've fedded as and people I've fedded with, so I've got a soft-spot for it primarily for that. No Mercy...'nuff said. Everybody knows that it's great. WM2000 is right behind it in quality, but the different match types in NM, as well as the storyline mode, put it above WM2000 IMO, slow-down be damned.

One thing I really, really want to see make a comeback in the SVR series is the ability to make a CAW and, if you win a season mode or win the WWE/World title in Career Mode, be able to get infinite EXP points. I hate making a guy, having to build them up, and by the time I've got them at a level I want them at and want to make a new guy? I have to do the entire process all over again. I dig the control scheme for SVR '10, a good mix of the SVR '06 and SVR '08 styles, but the overall gameplay hurts because you're still pretty limited.

To whoever said it earlier, I've played Wrestle Spirit. It's a fun little game, but if the point of it was to put on a good match rather than win the matches? It'd be that much better. Still, it's pretty damn good for a text-based wrestling sim. Maybe some animations of people doing the moves would help with the enjoyment, even just still-frame pics of people doing the moves (interchangeable pics would work, too).

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
WWF Steel cage Challenge for the NES is now a plug and play console at Dollar Trees.....

Bought it for a friend for Christmas. We had a fun hour trying to figure out how to play it.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
Power Move Pro Wrestling was fun for its time, and once I started getting a basic knowledge of puro (and wrestling altogether, since it came out not long after I started getting into it) it became even more fun.

Agent Orange = Tenzan (not even much of a stretch here, just the camo shorts is different)
Sparrow = Great Muta
Area 51 = Sting

And the others are a bit harder to do, but those are the easy ones to figure out due to movesets and general appearance.

My top 2, overall, are No Mercy and SVR '06. SVR '06 is the pinnacle of the SVR series, and I think that the little limitations make it a bit better to play than HCTP. The pacing in the ring is more realistic, even with Stamina turned off, and big moves are more likely to end a match than they are in HCTP. Plus? I made a ton of CAWs of characters I've fedded as and people I've fedded with, so I've got a soft-spot for it primarily for that. No Mercy...'nuff said. Everybody knows that it's great. WM2000 is right behind it in quality, but the different match types in NM, as well as the storyline mode, put it above WM2000 IMO, slow-down be damned.

One thing I really, really want to see make a comeback in the SVR series is the ability to make a CAW and, if you win a season mode or win the WWE/World title in Career Mode, be able to get infinite EXP points. I hate making a guy, having to build them up, and by the time I've got them at a level I want them at and want to make a new guy? I have to do the entire process all over again. I dig the control scheme for SVR '10, a good mix of the SVR '06 and SVR '08 styles, but the overall gameplay hurts because you're still pretty limited.

To whoever said it earlier, I've played Wrestle Spirit. It's a fun little game, but if the point of it was to put on a good match rather than win the matches? It'd be that much better. Still, it's pretty damn good for a text-based wrestling sim. Maybe some animations of people doing the moves would help with the enjoyment, even just still-frame pics of people doing the moves (interchangeable pics would work, too).

Wrestling spirit was the one where you take a guy and try and get him to the big leagues by having matches etc? Same dude who made EWR?