Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Favourite Wrestling Games

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
So browsing around e-Bay, I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WWF-BACKLASH-4-CLASSIC-WWF-WRESTLING-GAMES-WIN-CD_W0QQitemZ350197416208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item350197416208&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

From the description, it's WarZone, Road To Wrestlemania, Attitude and No Mercy on PC. There's a similar set with WCW games as well. Now I'm not computer savvy enough to know if this is even possible. I'm tempted to buy it and try because having No Mercy on PC would be great, but does anyone know any more about this and what problems there might be with it?

B

Big McLargehuge

WWF Wrestlefest. I loved playing it in arcades and even had a mame rom of it on my old computer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never been much of a video game guy but I think at the peak of my markdom, my wrestling fandom beat out my apathy towards video games and I ended up playing virtually every wrestling game that came out between 1994 to 2002 and virtually every one that had come out before. Unfortunately, this led me to play stuff like WCW Backstage Assault (which was to wrestling video games what '00 WCW was to wrestling), In Your House (at least that had the always amusing Vince McMahon commentary), and The Simpsons Wrestling. I played those games on a frequent basis. Oy!

I think my overall favorite was Extreme Warfare. But as for actual video games, I'm surprised my favorite hasn't been mentioned...

136135975_07ed634bb3.jpg

WWF Superstars

Man, I marked hard whenever I saw this at any arcade. I kind of sucked at it though. I'm not sure if I ever beat The Mega Bucks.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
+1 to the above!

We used to have one in our local swimming pool. Not in it, of course.

I remember getting all the way to the last match and beating the snot out of DiBiase, and then he'd make the tag to Andre and we just knew it was lights out.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We had one in a convenience store at the end of our street. A friend and I actually figured out a way for the machine to give us free credits so we'd spend HOURS at that thing.. My favourite was always Macho Man and his running neckbreaker/hook clothesline. I loved landing that on other players as it always seemed to piss them off. ;)

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I knew it was that game that created the "Raw is War" tag!

Somewhat related to that video, I have a Coliseum Video somewhere featuring Todd Pettingill offering tips on True Lies and Warlock: The Video Game (said video being the only instance of that video game existing I'm aware of).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know I'm crazy but I have a memory of renting a video of nothing but Todd Pettingill giving video game tips for like an hour. It may have been centered around one of the WWF video games of that period (WWF RAW or WrestleMania: The Arcade Game I'm thinking). But I remember renting it as part of some 5 for 5 deal at a mom and pop store and being mightily bored. Did this actually exist? The History of WWE's list of Coliseum Video releases doesn't mention anything like this but they don't mention a couple of the non-wrestling releases.

Also, Warlock: The Video Game did exist. I remember one of my brothers rented it, partly because it was shilled so much on WWF TV. Like the movie it was based on, it wasn't very good.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Plus murdering security guards for doing their job at a construction site.

Kamala: I have not seen the video in question, but I know it exists. I think that's where the youtube video came from.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sabre said:
I booted up Wrestlemania 19 earlier, i forgot how fun this came can be with pratically everymove being able to put someone through a table.

I was just recently thinking about looking for this game used at a Gamestop. Yeah, Revenge Mode sucked, but by the end when you unlock some of the levels, you can have some stupid/fun matches, like a four-way elimination at one of the construction sites where you win by throwing your opponent off the platform: either off the side or through the floor.

I still think this game had the best HIAC match to date so far, too, especially with the unlocking of the Revenge Camera to allow all the cool angles you can get for the big spots.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
I don't know I'm crazy but I have a memory of renting a video of nothing but Todd Pettingill giving video game tips for like an hour. It may have been centered around one of the WWF video games of that period (WWF RAW or WrestleMania: The Arcade Game I'm thinking). But I remember renting it as part of some 5 for 5 deal at a mom and pop store and being mightily bored. Did this actually exist? The History of WWE's list of Coliseum Video releases doesn't mention anything like this but they don't mention a couple of the non-wrestling releases.

You didn't dream this, and they also had previews of this at the end of a couple Coliseum Videos. I remember!

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Adam said:
I have a small feeling you're not wrong Peng.

It's been a long time since I played.

Best I can remember, you could do 1 vs 1, Tag, and Royal Rumble matches. You could do 1 vs 1, and IIRC, select a 2nd "helper" to interfere in your matches and hit their finisher, or toss you weapons. The game had some amazing visuals for it's time, but no replay value whatsoever. Plus, Shane and Vince as the only 2 unlockable characters was a bit of a joke. Big Show's powerbomb had a nice animation to it. I got a laugh out of dropping someone on the back of their head, kinda like when Nash dropped Big Show in WCW. Each wrestler also had alternate attire. The bad part about this was during a Rumble match, you would have 2 of the same wrestler in the ring, just in different outfits.

Adam said:
Revenge was the game that you could also modify the wrestlers and it changed the intro video sequence. I dressed Randy Savage in all pink and there he was, driving a truck in all pink.

Good times.

I never realized that was supposed to be Savage driving the truck. The bit of changing the attires for the sole purpose of changing the opening cinemas was one of my favorite parts of the old N64 wrestling games.

One thing I would love to see added to current wrestling games is the ability to switch control to your tag partner once you tag him in. One of the SD games a couple years back switched controls automatically, but since then, you're pretty much stuck standing on the apron while your AI partner and opponent walk around eachother for eternity.

M

Matt Young

Haws Bah Gawd said:
Adam said:
I have a small feeling you're not wrong Peng.

It's been a long time since I played.

In SVR, you can set it so that you control both partners, the only exception being the story mode.

Best I can remember, you could do 1 vs 1, Tag, and Royal Rumble matches. You could do 1 vs 1, and IIRC, select a 2nd "helper" to interfere in your matches and hit their finisher, or toss you weapons. The game had some amazing visuals for it's time, but no replay value whatsoever. Plus, Shane and Vince as the only 2 unlockable characters was a bit of a joke. Big Show's powerbomb had a nice animation to it. I got a laugh out of dropping someone on the back of their head, kinda like when Nash dropped Big Show in WCW. Each wrestler also had alternate attire. The bad part about this was during a Rumble match, you would have 2 of the same wrestler in the ring, just in different outfits.

Adam said:
Revenge was the game that you could also modify the wrestlers and it changed the intro video sequence. I dressed Randy Savage in all pink and there he was, driving a truck in all pink.

Good times.

I never realized that was supposed to be Savage driving the truck. The bit of changing the attires for the sole purpose of changing the opening cinemas was one of my favorite parts of the old N64 wrestling games.

One thing I would love to see added to current wrestling games is the ability to switch control to your tag partner once you tag him in. One of the SD games a couple years back switched controls automatically, but since then, you're pretty much stuck standing on the apron while your AI partner and opponent walk around eachother for eternity.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Woah woah woah...

I had no idea that was Savage driving the truck. I thought Hogan was avenging a fallen nWo fan or something. This changes the whole dynamic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In Your House, another in a long line of terrible wrestling video games that I constantly tried to defend. The wrestler models and the always entertaining Vince McMahon commentary are pretty much the only good parts.

There was a time when I defended Backstage Assault as being decent. Good lord, what was I thinking? It's a wrestling game where there isn't a ring!

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I recall reading an article about it in GamePro where they talked about how Sunny was filmed on a swing, apparently to be swinging above the ring for no real reason in the background. I don't think that ended up anywhere in the game.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Wasn't Russo trying to convince the WCW higher-ups (around the time Backstage Assault was released) that the company would be a lot more exciting if they got rid of the ring all-together? I'll admit the backstage stuff was some of the most entertaining aspects of WCW Mayhem (the game, not the PPV), but I didn't then, and don't now feel that it was good enough to base an entire game off of.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've always wondered, was the sequel to Saturday Night Slam Masters as fun? I've never played it, but always was curious.

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score
Hell yeah . . . playing as "yourself", the Gorilla Press, the big boot, the Andre squash in the corner, the Rude Awakening, and best of all, the SURVIVOR SERIES!

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That picture made me realize that my boss at work looks exactly like the Big BossMan.