Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Franchise Players

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Ten years ago or so I used to occupy my team creating "Best of" teams, usually for each franchise. It's a pretty common thing to do. I haven't come back to it in awhile and while I don't have the inclination to complete 30 teams again, sometimes it is interesting to see which current players have done enough to merit inclusion in their franchise's all time teams.

Let me see if I can adequately cite an example.

San Diego Padres - Ace Starter
Then: Randy Jones. 92-105. 1,766 career innings. 104 ERA+. One Cy Young and one second place finish. Two All-Star appearances.
Now: Jake Peavy. 89-67. 1,322 IP. 120 ERA+. One Cy Young award, two All-Star appearances. Franchise strikeout king.

Given that by some accounts Peavy could be traded any day, has he done enough to claim a spot as the greatest Padre starter? Oddly, Randy Jones had two 20 win seasons in a row, Peavy's career high is 19. I think the per-game effectiveness and the longer peak time gives Peavy the edge.

Here's one that may surprise.
New York Mets - CF
Then: Mookie Wilson (or maybe Lenny Dykstra)
Now: Carlos Beltran

Would you believe Beltran is already second in games played in CF for the Mets? Mookie Wilson never made it to an All-Star game, nor did Lenny Dysktra or Tommy Agee as a Met. Lee Mazzilli went to one. Beltran has notched three All-Star appearances, three Gold Gloves, and finished as high as 4th in MVP balloting. Regardless of whatever bullshit Steve Phillips spews, Beltran has met or exceeded his contract value thus far.

All let you guys come up with others rather than drawing up a list.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Boston Red Sox
C: Jason Varitek. It's interesting that Fisk should be more known for being a White Sock than a Red Sock but Varitek has 166 HR and a very solid .785 OPS.
1B: Mo Vaughn. Is 7th all time in HRs on Boston and had a .304 BA (1 of only 3 in the top 7 in HR to do. Others were Teddy and Manny). Jimmie Foxx could go here but he's probably just as known for being with the Athletics.
2B: Bobby Doerr. Really prolific hitter for a 2B with 6 seasons over 100 RBI.
3B: Wade Boggs
SS: Nomar Garciaparra
LF: Ted Williams (although Carl Yastrzemski gives him a run for his money)
CF: Tris Speaker
RF: Dwight Evans
DH: David Ortiz

SP: Cy Young. Had a 192-112 record (Roger Clemens has the next best chance. Pedro could go here but didn't throw as many games as Young and Clemens (192-111) did although he had a dominant win % and ERA)
RP/CL: Jonathan Papelbon. Is already 2nd in S with 124 and has a 1.78 ERA in 248 IP.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Varitek over Fisk? Can't see it. Fisk was a 7 time all star with the Red Sox, and an exceptional 126 OPS+ with the club.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Varitek over Fisk? Can't see it. Fisk was a 7 time all star with the Red Sox, and an exceptional 126 OPS+ with the club.

Fisk played 11 seasons with Boston. He won ROY, 1 GG, and made 7 All-Star teams. Fisk had 162 HR and 126 OPS+.

Varitek has played 13 seasons with Boston (2009 being his 13th year). He won 1 GG, 1 Silver Slugger, and has made 3 All-Star teams. He has 166 HR and a 100 OPS+. I know it's not statistically important, but Varitek also has 2 WS rings (and was big in the 2004 and 2007 ALCS').

I partly chose Varitek because he was with Boston longer (Fisk played with the White Sox for 13 seasons) and because Fisk was as productive with the White Sox in his career award wise with 4 All-Star games, 3 Silver Sluggers, and 3rd place in MVP voting.

Fisk did place in the Top 10 more with Boston but Varitek's rings and postseason performances in the WS runs pushed him over the top for me.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit Tigers:

C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Hank Greenberg
2B: Charlie Gehringer
3B: George Kell
SS: Alan Trammell
LF: Willie Horton
CF: Ty Cobb
RF: Al Kaline
SP: Hal Newhouser
RP: Willie Hernandez

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Easier to do with a relatively young franchise, but still...

Toronto Blue Jays

C - Ernie Whitt
1B - Carlos Delgado
2B - Roberto Alomar
SS - Tony Fernandez
3B - Kelly Gruber
LF - George Bell
CF - Vernon Wells (edging out Devon White and Lloyd Moseby by much less than you would think, for all the hype he gets)
RF - Jesse Barfield (although I'd probably listen to a good argument for Joe Carter, I think Barfield was better)
SP - Roy Halladay (I think his body of work is formidable enough now to put him over Dave Stieb)
RP - Tom Henke

alkeiper

Reaction score
Roy Halladay's an interesting one. 139-67, 132 ERA+. Dave Stieb was 175-134, 122 ERA+. Both went to 7 All Star games. Halladay has the Cy Young. Halladay's a hell of a pitcher, but people overlook Stieb who was one of the best pitchers of the 1980s.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Roy Halladay's an interesting one. 139-67, 132 ERA+. Dave Stieb was 175-134, 122 ERA+. Both went to 7 All Star games. Halladay has the Cy Young. Halladay's a hell of a pitcher, but people overlook Stieb who was one of the best pitchers of the 1980s.

God, yes. For all the talk Jack Morris gets about deserving the Hall of Fame, Stieb would be IN the Hall of Fame if he had pitched on those Tigers teams. The W-L is what killed his chances.