Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Gay Marriage + LGBT General News and Discussion Thread - Part 2

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Gay Marriage News and Discussion Thread - Part 2

Woman Fined For Discrimination Against Gays
Richland, Washington florist Barronelle Stutzman has been fined $1000 plus $1 for court costs and fees for her refusal back in 2013 to provide flowers for a longtime customer's wedding to his same-sex partner because of her "relationship with Jesus Christ."

Mayoral Candidate Arrested For Defacing 2 Gay Landmarks in Dallas, TX
Richard Sheridan (below), 66, who is running for mayor in May, is charged with vandalizing the Legacy of Love Monument (above) and the Cathedral of Hope (below) last June.

The monument, in the heart of Dallas' gayborhood, and the church — known as the world's largest LGBT congregation — were among 12 sites in the city vandalized with "the number of the beast" in red paint.

However, Sheridan thus far is charged in only two of the incidents. A grand jury indicted Sheridan for a state jail felony, punishable by up to two years behind bars. If prosecutors treat the case as an anti-gay hate crime, the charges could be enhanced to a third-degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Texas Bars Lesbian Student From Performing 'Promposal'
Casey Akers (above), 16, planned to jump out of a box with flowers on it (right) holding cookies and a sign that said, "Out of all these cookies, you're my favorite one. Prom?" The name of the girl Akers planned to invite to the prom is Cookie.

Akers said she got approval for the promposal from school administrators — until they found out she was inviting another girl.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LIRL - Memories Pizza Becomes First Indiana Business To Openly Refuse To Serve Gay Weddings --- website immediately hacked http://memoriespizza.com/

h47SOsq.jpg

http://www.abc57.com/story/28681598/rfra-first-business-to-publicly-deny-same-sex-service

*My highlights are:
1) People in this small town in Indiana get their weddings catered with pizza
2) Where the Christian guy says that he chooses to be heterosexual

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading about some guy in Indiana referring to "Big Gay" and how it's destroying businesses which prompted a flood of sarcastic twitter replies that people should shop local gay and support small gay business.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P. funny how proponents of the law said "no, no, nobody is going to use this as an excuse to discriminate" and then these guys were all "O'RLY?"

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also the pizza in an Indiana pizza shop cooked by an Irish family is probably more offensive than the bill.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
A GoFundMe account for that Memories Pizza couple raised $150,000 overnight. Affirming that they wouldn't cater gay weddings that they never would have been asked to cater anyway was the shrewdest financial decision these pizza-baking gay bashers ever made, as it turns out.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I'll never cater a gay wedding either.

I can't cook

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kinetic said:
A GoFundMe account for that Memories Pizza couple raised $150,000 overnight. Affirming that they wouldn't cater gay weddings that they never would have been asked to cater anyway was the shrewdest financial decision these pizza-baking gay bashers ever made, as it turns out.
Wow. $350K+ and counting. SMH level shit at it's finest.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eh. This is just a lateral move as far as I'm concerned - wealth moving from a bunch of bigots to one bigot. Plus - with any luck - this'll give rise to enterprising scammers seeking to fleece the flock.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
The right side of that chart is helpful, as in all the hysteria over this I never saw any specific examples of discrimination that LGBT people might face with either version of the Indiana RFRA in place. The thing that consistently comes up, as with the hypothetical posed to the Memories Pizza people, is whether or not small businesses would have a right to abstain from participating in gay weddings due to a religious objection. In those instances, I don't see a benefit to legally compelling someone to participate in a ceremony that their faith tells them is an abomination. I don't see why a gay couple would even want to financially support a business that took that view of their union. As long as reasonable accommodations were available elsewhere--and I'm sure there are plenty of cake decorators, floral arrangers, and wedding photographers in Indiana right now who would be more than happy to take their money along with any positive publicity that might come with it--these things needn't become legal disputes. I personally wouldn't spend a dime in a business that had such a policy, and anyone would be more than justified in boycotting them and whatever else short of death threats, but just don't think there should be that legal obligation.

That GoFundMe ended up raising $850,000 for those pizza people. Could be used to sue the ABC affiliate from South Bend that created the firestorm by misrepresenting their position.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of "hysteria," there has not yet been a single example given for how gay rights/equality actually harms anybody else, ever.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I would maybe suggest that in some smaller rural towns, "i'll take my business elsewhere" is not a great as option for those who live in bigger cities and have a ton of choices. These kinds of laws/ordinances that get passed in the smaller towns are usually designed to make certain citizens that have lived there their whole lives, feel like outsiders in their own residence.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
lulz

Anti-Gay Republican Outed As A Drag Queen Named ‘Miss Mona Sinclair’: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/05/05/drag-queen-gop/

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://bluenationreview.com/the-latest-argument-against-marriage-equality-will-make-you-laugh-out-loud/

Schaerr argues — here’s where you need to hold on tight — that gay people getting married causes straight people not to get married. (Fellas, a tip. If the ladyfriend you just asked to be your bride tells you she can’t because gay people have ruined marriage, she just doesn’t want to marry you. Sorry.)
So they don’t get married. But sex is still pretty fun, so they do that. And then they get pregnant. Only now, because The Gays have made marriage repulsive to straight people, they don’t get married, buy a house with a white picket fence, and raise tousle-headed children. Instead, they get an ABORTION!!!!!

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does it ever bother anyone when someone just has to point out that someone's gay to you?
I was out for my sister in laws bday last night. This dude shows up that she knows and I recognize him from high school.
I introduce myself and ask if he went to my high school and he confirms he did and he recognizes me too.
We shoot the shit and he leaves.
Immediately my brother leans over and says "that's Justin. He's super gay".
So!? If he was straight would you have said "He's super straight"?
And what's the difference between gay and super gay?
Maybe I'm making something of nothing but it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Does it ever bother anyone when someone just has to point out that someone's gay to you?
I was out for my sister in laws bday last night. This dude shows up that she knows and I recognize him from high school.
I introduce myself and ask if he went to my high school and he confirms he did and he recognizes me too.
We shoot the shit and he leaves.
Immediately my brother leans over and says "that's Justin. He's super gay".
So!? If he was straight would you have said "He's super straight"?
And what's the difference between gay and super gay?
Maybe I'm making something of nothing but it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Yep. Even had this happen in high school when a math teacher of mine came out as a lesbian and my classmates were all shocked/confiding it to others and I'm like, "Good for her. So?" in that it's a big deal for her but also the reaction is the somewhat naive why should we care if she/he's gay or not?

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Super gay means he wears a cape and his underwear on the outside of his clothes.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
And his underwear has a hole cut in the back of it.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rural counties were passing it at 70% in some places. For a conservative country that's unreal. I'm less ashamed to be Irish because of this.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan Fischer thinks Boy Scouts will become 'gay pedophile scouting for boys' if gay ban is lifted

India's 1st gay matrimonial ad also has a caste requirement

New York Times looks at the fight against Belize's anti-gay laws

Texas High School Teacher re-signed for telling student, "How would you like it if somebody called you a n*****?" after student used a gay slur in front of her. Sad that the issue/drama is over the teacher using the full N word as opposed to the student also using the gay slur first.

“She wasn’t using it against him, she just said, ‘you know, it’s not nice to call people rude names, you wouldn’t like if someone called you a derogatory term’,” said junior Christy Beaulieu. She was not a student in the class where the incident happened, but she is a student of the teacher who resigned. She heard about what happened from a friend in the class.

Even repeating racial slurs is not allowed in Isaiah Thomas's home. "I raised my kids not to even use that word against each other," said Swist. (Yet using gay slurs is totally okay... yay, Texas!)