Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General discussion of Voice Actors thread

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where to post this but I thought there is enough broad and general discussion for voice actors that we could do this thread

I was looking at stuff on Batman: The Animated Series when I looked into the filmography of Loren Lester, who played Dick Grayson and Robin. One of the things I enjoy most is seeing what some voice actors did and see them pop up in random places. I saw Lester played one of the New Kids on the Block for the short-lived NKOTB cartoon. That led to me wanting to see the other cast to see if anyone else recognizable was in the group.

There was and the result was extra funny to me. A different New Kid was played by Scott Menville, the Dick Grayson/ Robin from Teen Titans.

I found it entertaining that two New Kids would go on to be Robin in fairly iconic comic adaptations.

Use this thread to share voice acting stories or anecdotes you find interesting that don’t necessarily have a larger or more focused thread to live in.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Tara Strong is one of my literal idols of my entire life thanks to Batman: The Animated Series (as Batgirl/Barbara Gordon), Powerpuff Girls as Bubbles, Teen Titans as Raven, and then My Little Pony: FIM as Twilight Sparkle. The more fun stuff is finding out that she played long term characters in shows like the 101 Dalmatians cartoon as Spot and Extreme Ghostbusters. Still blows my mind that she was Claire Brewster in the Beetlejuice cartoon.

One person who surprised me was Alyson Court: Beetlejuice's Lydia but also X-Men: The Animated Series' Jubilee! She also played Lucille in the Free Willy TV Series and voiced Claire in the Resident Evil 2 video game.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Those are some great ones too. Used to watch Beetlejuice before school in the mornings for a stretch so crazy to find out she was Jubilee. I do not remember a Free Willy show, so gonna have to look that up.

After making this thread and thinking of random tie-in cartoons, I decided to look up the Bill & Ted, it blew my mind the first season had the movie’s primary cast. When production switched from Hanna Barbara to DIC and the show moved networks to Fox, Fox took away the movie cast and replaced them with the actors they cast for their live action show that would only last seven episodes.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm just going to use this thread to complain that I live within probably 15 miles of Eddie Deezen (Eugene from Grease but also Mandark from Dexter's Lab and Gibby Norton from some of the more recent Scooby Doo runs, to name a few) and he knows my mother yet I have never met him. Apparently while my grandmother was still alive and in a nursing home he also had a family member at the same place and he and my mother would run into each other, but never when I was around. And all I really want to do is ask him if he has to trek to a professional recording studio to do VA or if he can just do it from his home because of how good modern computer equipment is.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Shout out to EG Daily (Tommy on Rugrats) and the late Christine Cavanaugh (Chuckie on Rugrats and Oblina on Ahh! Real Monsters). Those were my favorites in my formative years. I think Pamela Adlon (Bobby Hill, Ashley Spinelli) deserves a mention as well.

Everyone knows Kevin Conroy and Nancy Cartwright but it's really satisfying to see 90s sitcom staples Will Friedle (Eric on Boy Meets World) and Jason Marsden (Full House, Boy Meets World, Step by Step) are prominent voice actors now. Hell, Marsden did an interview with a wrestling YouTube channel awhile ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7nEOFWZqz4

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It's always weird to see actors doing VA roles like Kim Possible with Gary Cole as Dr. James Possible, Jean Smart as Dr. Ann Possible, Patrick Warburton as Mr. Barkin, and Tahj Mowry as Wade.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Warburton is someone that I associate more with VA than anything else now

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eddie Deezen is just about the last (male) Grease castmember I'd predict to be arrested for having a shirtless meltdown.

Tbh I might put Stockard Channing and some of the other pink ladies ahead of him too.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Diane Pershing's always kind of surprised me that she didn't get more work. She was basically Poison Ivy from 1992-2003 and did a few sporadic spots but the last thing she did was in 2010 providing voices for the Fallout: New Vegas game.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Recent VAs who I dig include Amanda Leighton who voices Polly in Amphibia. She was also in The Young & The Restless, This Is Us, and The Fosters but took over as the VA for Blossom in the newer Powerpuff Girls remake.

You could also just throw in the entire cast of The Owl House too: Sarah Nicole-Robles as Luz, Alex Hirsch(!) as King, Wendie Malick as Eda, Tati Gabrielle(!) as Willow, Issac Ryan Brown as Gus, and Mae Whitman(!) as Amity Blight.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Be careful Granny @The Amazing Rando !
Probably the same nursing home my grandmother was in. My mother said she saw him there all the time, though I never did. I think his mother was there. Not sure why they'd bar him from entry to see a relative, unless his previous bout with the law made the staff nervous.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given the current state of his mental health, I'm assuming there was some sort of prior incident

Police were also told there have been "several issues with Deezen leaving items at the residence and various types of notes with the items."
See. Creepy

Looking at his website, he had serious open heart surgery and nearly died in 2020. I wonder if his recent mental health struggles have anything to do with that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Greatly enjoying this series as the VAs of Kim Possible & Ron Stoppable host it and interview other VAs! Fun stuff.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've joked about this in the past but it really is a pretty sad situation.

I wonder how much Scientology's strong stance against psychotropic drugs had to do with this.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Recently learned Tara Strong was in National Lampoon's Senior Trip. I rented that years and years ago but I'd like to think I remember almost every instance of seeing Tara Strong as much as I do hearing her. Moreso even.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Love seeing these eps of characters/VAs I vaguely know about and getting to learn more about them. Like he was BRYCE in The Secret World of Alex Mack!