Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Invisible Ghost (1941) starring Bela Lugosi is coming to Blu-Ray courtesy of KINO. They have some neat, unique titles on the market but tend to be pricier and rarely offer sales so I'm never certain of the quality of their stuff.

"Horror legend Bela Lugosi stars in one of his most lauded and expressive roles, as the unwitting homicidal killer who is being commanded by his damaged wife to commit murder, albeit while under hypnosis. When the twin brother of a man wrongly accused of one of the murders arrives in town, he begins to unravel the whole dark, twisted truth."

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Re: 2017-2018 General Horror Discussion Thread

I have screening passes for SPLIT tonight. Interested to see how this one goes as it looks like it could be another one of those movies where how they wrap it up will play a big part in how much people ultimately enjoy the movie. I have my guess on how it ends, but no reason to speculate at the moment in here.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Scream Factory will be releasing "Slither" sometimes this year, and will also release "Tales From the Hood" on 4/18. Not to be outdone, here are Arrow Video's April releases

-A special edition of "Donnie Darko" on 4/18. Specs are

•Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts
•Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
•Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
•Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut
•Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster, editor Sam Bauer, composer Michael Edwards, costume designer April Ferry, actor James Duval and critic Rob Galluzzo
•The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
•The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
•Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
•Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
•Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
•Storyboard comparisons
•B-roll footage
•Cunning Visions infomercials
•Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
•Galleries
•Trailers
•TV spots
•Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
•Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

-"Caltiki The Immortal Monster", an Italian title from Ricardo Frieda and Mario Bava on 4/11. Specs include

• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of The Haunted World of Mario Bava and So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• From Quatermass to Caltiki, a new discussion with author and critic Kim Newman on the influence of classic monster movies on Caltiki
• Riccardo Freda, Forgotten Master, an archival interview with critic Stefano Della Casa
• The Genesis of Caltiki, an archival interview with filmmaker Luigi Cozzi
• Archival introduction to the film by Stefano Della Casa
• Alternate opening titles for the US version
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

Oh, and not exactly horror, but Arrow is also releasing Takashi Miike's "Dead or Alive" trilogy on 3/20. I fucking love this company.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Saw a couple horror movies I had never heard of and both scored a little over 6 on IMDB apparently: 13 Sins from 2014 about a man who receives a phone call telling him he'll win more money for every challenge out of 13 completed. The challenges obviously get more extreme as they get deeper, although the end is convoluted and really dumb. Also has Ron Perlman in it in a smallish role.

The other was Rogue from 2007 starring Radha Mitchell, of Pitch Black fame. Decent movie about a group of tourists caught dealing with a man eating Crocodile. It basically is what it is as far as killer animal horror movies go. Also has a better cast than it should with Michael Vartan and Sam Worthington as well.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

"Morgan" was...oof, it was not good. Performances are fine, but the script is pretty bad and the whole things reeks of nepotism (particularly the
Paul Giamatti cameo
)

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

HQ, did you at least enjoy 13 Sins? It was one of the movies that spawned the brief "movies that could use a remake" topic a couple years back, even though it's a remake of the Thai 13: Game of Death, written by the same person. I thought it delivered on the premise but was obviously made by a crew still figuring everything out. It shows promise.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß said:
HQ, did you at least enjoy 13 Sins? It was one of the movies that spawned the brief "movies that could use a remake" topic a couple years back, even though it's a remake of the Thai 13: Game of Death, written by the same person. I thought it delivered on the premise but was obviously made by a crew still figuring everything out. It shows promise.

It was decent for the most part but it kind of lost me about halfway through and definitely by the final act w/the bikers and the family scene. That felt way too convoluted and made the cops come off as inept since it was implied cops only thought he was behind everything. I also felt that some of what hurt it was that the 13 Challenges all were happening instantaneously one after another with no real gradual build up like they could've easily made the sound of a buzzing/ringing telephone scary due to the implications of what could come.

Instead it was: Phone - Challenge - Inner Turmoil - Feat Done... then like 5 seconds later rinse & repeat.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard great things about THE SIMILARS and it just hit netflix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vIiDfpSOWM

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20613
Wishmaster 1-4 Blu-Ray Collection drops on March 28th. I enjoy the first 2 films in the franchise so when the price drops (say $6-7 per film), I may snag this one up.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tales-from-the-Hood-Blu-ray/167720/#Overview
Fuuuuuuuck yes! Shout Factory's doing a CE for Tales From the Hood dropping April 18th

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

"The Monster" is actually a pretty solid movie, though people hoping for a straight up monster movie will be disappointed. I mean, there is a monster, and it has it's share of suspenseful moments, but it's more a family based drama than it is a straight up horror film.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow Video announced they will be releasing two older George Romero films-"The Crazies" and "Season of the Witch"-sometime this year. Both will be getting 4K transfers.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score

So, after Rings underperformed, the Friday the 13th reboot has been cancelled, as well as World War Z 2. The next Hellraiser is full speed ahead though, with a limited theatrical release planned.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

The Similars I enjoyed a lot. More sci-fi than horror, and even a little humor mixed in. It is a really nice take on a twilight zone episode, stretched into a 90 minute feature film.

Going to try and checkout The Girl With All the Gifts tonight.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Nymyzys said:
So, after Rings underperformed, the Friday the 13th reboot has been cancelled, as well as World War Z 2. The next Hellraiser is full speed ahead though, with a limited theatrical release planned.

Goddamn Paramount.

Rings was going to underperform guaranteed and they knew it. Hence why they kept delaying and rescheduling. That's a self fulfilling prophecy thing when you make choices about other films based on the results of one that was destined to fail.

It's too bad as the news about the upcoming Friday shoot sounded very promising, basically creating more of a prequel feel to the story.

I think the Friday license is going back to New Line soon so maybe they will pick up the pieces. One can hope.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Also, re: Hellraiser release

I would bet the limited release will be very limited, but they will probably roll it out same time on demand. I remember going to the previous Hellraiser film in the very limited theatrical release it had (it played on one screen within a 5 state radius of me) and I and two others were the only ones there and that was on a Saturday afternoon even.

I have a bit more hope that creatively this one is much better than the previous effort as I nearly walked out of it since it was so goddamn awful. Still not cool that they arent bringing back Doug Bradley, its f'n bs.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Were they trying a Friday the 13th reboot to maintain the rights for a longer time?

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow Video's May announcements include

C44LhpJWEAA7pqn.jpg

Digital transfer from original film elements
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by writer-director Frank Henenlotter
Brand new interviews with cast and crew
Q&A with Henenlotter recorded at the 2016 Offscreen Film Festival
Theatrical Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
Limited edition O-card with exclusive artwork
Collector’s Booklet with new writing on the film
PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!

Evil-Ed-Blu-ray-01.jpg

3-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Two versions of the film!
Original Stereo and 5.1 Audio Options
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
Collector’s booklet with new writing on the film

DISCS 1 & 2 (BLU-RAY + DVD) – THE SPECIAL ED-ITION CUT

World premiere of the newly-extended version of the feature [95 min]
Keep ’Em Heads Rollin’ – making-of documentary
Reconstructing Edward – featurette on the creation of the Special EDition cut
Deleted scenes
Bloopers
Teasers and Trailers
Still Gallery

DISC 3 (BLU-RAY) – THE ORIGINAL CUT [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]

Original Cut [93 mins]
Lost in Brainland – never-before-seen extended 3 hour version of the making-of documentary
PLUS OTHER SURPRISES!!!

And if you live in the UK/have a region free Blu-Ray player

phenomena-arrow-video-blu-ray.png

Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all three versions of the film: the 116-minute Italian, 110-minute international and 83-minute “Creepers” cuts
New 5.1 surround mixes of the Italian (116-minute) and English (110-minute) soundtracks in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio, derived from the original 4-channel Dolby Stereo elements
New hybrid English/Italian soundtrack for the 116-minute version in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo*
Italian soundtrack for the 116-minute version in lossless PCM 2.0 stereo
English soundtrack for the 110-minute version in lossless PCM 2.0 stereo
English soundtrack for the 83-minute version in lossless PCM 1.0 mono
Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
The Three Sarcophagi, a new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie comparing the different cuts of Phenomena
New feature-length documentary including exclusive interviews with co-writer/producer/director Dario Argento, actors Fiorenza Tessari and Davide Marotta, co-writer Franco Ferrini, production manager Angelo Jacono, special optical effects artist Luigi Cozzi, makeup artist Pier Antonio Mecacci and composers Claudio Simonetti and Simon Boswell
Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
Limited edition 60-page booklet containing new writing by Mikel J. Koven, Rachael Nisbet and Leonard Jacobs
Limited edition packaging featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-paul-naschy-collection
17097509_944967285640283_7116244390402181412_o.jpg

**NEW BOX SET ANNOUNCEMENT**
We have a surprise reveal today: THE PAUL NASCHY COLLECTION – A 5-Disc Blu-ray Set featuring several films from the Spanish horror legend Paul Naschy – is scheduled for a June 20th Release date! Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/f…/the-paul-naschy-collection
Paul Naschy (born Jacinto Molina Álvarez) was Spain's answer to Lon Chaney. He has portrayed many classic monsters – the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, Count Dracula, the Mummy and more. He was not only a terrific actor, but an accomplished writer, producer and director. This Blu-ray box set includes five stellar films from his long and distinguished career. Specs and extras are as follows (subject to change)
VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES
High Definition 1080p (1.33:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Castalian/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono English Dub/1972/Color/Not Rated/90 minutes
• Complete Uncut Version
• In Castilian with English Subtitles and English Dub
• U.S. Theatrical Trailer
• Spanish Credit Sequence
• Alternate Clothed Sequences
HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Castalian/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono English Dub/1972/Color/Not Rated/89 minutes
• Complete Uncut Version
• Alternate Clothed Sequences
BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL
High Definition 1080p (1.33:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Castalian/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono English Dub/1973/Color/Not Rated/90 minutes
• Complete Uncut Version
NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Castalian/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono English Dub/1980/Color/Not Rated/93 minutes
• Complete Uncut Version
• Deleted Scenes
HUMAN BEASTS
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Castalian/DTS-HD Master Audio Mono English Dub/1980/Color/Not Rated/84 minutes
• Complete Uncut Version
• Spanish Theatrical Trailer

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Just watched Chopping Mall (1986) in part thanks to Red Letter Media's fantastic Best of the Worst series on Youtube. Surprisingly decent, 5/10, solid little B-Movie.

The robots have an Alpha 5 vibe from Power Rangers, just turned deadly via lightning storm. The
exploding head scene
is the best death in the film and the Dick Miller cameo is fun stuff. Lasers are pretty corny effect wise but it kind of adds to the film's charm a bit.

Read that it was hacked down by 15 minutes and re-released on home video under its current name after hitting theaters as Killbots and it kind of shows. As it is, the run time of the movie is barely 1 Hour, 13 Minutes prior to the end credits.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow Videos June releases include

arrow-bird.jpg

Release Dates: 19/20 June

In 1970, young first-time director Dario Argento (Deep Red, Suspiria) made his indelible mark on Italian cinema with The Bird with the Crystal Plumage – a film which redefined the ‘giallo’ genre of murder-mystery thrillers and catapulted him to international stardom.

Sam Dalmas (Tony Musante, We Own the Night), an American writer living in Rome, inadvertently witnesses a brutal attack on a woman (Eva Renzi, Funeral in Berlin) in a modern art gallery. Powerless to help, he grows increasingly obsessed with the incident. Convinced that something he saw that night holds the key to identifying the maniac terrorising Rome, he launches his own investigation parallel to that of the police, heedless of the danger to both himself and his girlfriend Giulia (Suzy Kendall, Spasmo)…

A staggeringly assured debut, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage establishes the key traits that would define Argento’s filmography, including lavish visuals and a flare for wildly inventive, brutal scenes of violence. With sumptuous cinematography by Vittorio Storaro (Apocalypse Now) and a seductive score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone (Once Upon a Time in the West), this landmark film has never looked or sounded better in this new, 4K-restored limited edition from Arrow Video!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the camera negative in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• The Power of Perception, a new visual essay on the cinema of Dario Argento by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria and surprise sex-Revenge Films: A Critical Study
• New analysis of the film by critic Kat Ellinger
• New interview with writer/director Dario Argento
• New interview with actor Gildo Di Marco (Garullo the pimp)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp
• Double-sided fold-out poster featuring
• 6 Lobby Card reproductions
• Limited edition 60-page booklet illustrated by Matthew Griffin, featuring an appreciation of the film by Michael Mackenzie, and new writing by Howard Hughes and Jack Seabrook

arrow-madhouse.png

Release Dates: 12/13 June 2017

MANY PEOPLE VISIT … NO ONE EVER LEAVES.

Helmed by legendary producer/director Ovidio Assonitis, the man behind such cult favourites as The Visitor and Piranha II: The Spawning, Madhouse is a crimson-soaked tale of sibling rivalry taken to a terrifying and bloody extreme.

Julia has spent her entire adult life trying to forget the torment she suffered at the hands of her twisted twin Mary… but Mary hasn’t forgotten. Escaping hospital, where she’s recently been admitted with a horrific, disfiguring illness, Julia’s sadistic sister vows to exact a particularly cruel revenge on her sibling this year – promising a birthday surprise that she’ll never forget.

An Italian production shot entirely in Savannah, Georgia, Madhouse (aka And When She Was Bad and There Was a Little Girl) fuses slasher elements with the over-the-top excess of ‘80s Italian terror – resulting in a cinematic bloodbath so gut-wrenching that the British authorities saw fit to outlaw it as a “video nasty”.

•Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition presentations
•Original Stereo Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
•Brand new interviews with cast and crew
•Alternate Opening Titles
•Theatrical Trailer, newly transferred in HD
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

Plumage is my favorite Argento movie, and that looks amazing.

My buddy did the cover art for Madhouse, and I love his work. I'm stoked for both of those releases.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Don't Kill It was a decent little lower budget starring Dolph Lungren definitely a movie that knows what it's working with and besides some terrible CGI at the end, it doesn't try to over-extend the means of production.

Also, Devil's Candy.........see it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

NoCalMike said:
Also, Devil's Candy.........see it.

Yes, huge recommend. Ethan Embry is fantastic and it might be the creepiest performance of the many in Pruitt Taylor Vince's career.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

The Nicolas Winding Refn produced remake of "Maniac Cop" has been greenlit. It will be directed by John Hyams (who did the later "Universal Soldier" sequels) and written by comic book writer Ed Brubaker.

Detective Ventriloquist said:
Plumage is my favorite Argento movie, and that looks amazing.

My buddy did the cover art for Madhouse, and I love his work. I'm stoked for both of those releases.

"Plumage" is tied with "Blood and Black Lace" as the most influential giallo of all time. Bava lit the fuse, and Argento blew it up. After "Plumage", we got countless giallo movies-including some not made in Italy (De Palma's "Dressed to Kill" being the most well known example)

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/831753-80s-horror-alert-the-empire-pictures-blu-ray-collection-is-coming

3D-Empire-render-e1490807231359.jpg

New limited edition Blu-ray box set celebrates the legacy of ‘80s genre film studio Empire Pictures

Every horror and cult movie fan who came of age in the 1980s still speaks in hushed tones about the late, great Empire Pictures. Founded by producer and director Charles Band in 1983, the fabled studio and distributor was responsible for a tidal wave of amazing, imaginative and profitable horror, science fiction and fantasy films many of which have become definitive works and high water marks of their respective genres.

Now, as a gift to the legion of rabid Empire fans out there, Band and Full Moon (in collusion with Shout! Factory) will release The Empire Pictures Blu-ray Collection, a massive limited edition collection (only 600 are being produced) featuring 18 films on 15 discs (14 Blu-ray + 1 DVD) packaged in a stunning, sturdy and elegant black collectors box adorned with a collage of original Empire poster art. Inside there will be an exclusive 24-page book as well.

Classic Empire films included in this set are:

METALSTORM

METALSTORM (3-D version)

THE DUNGEONMASTER

GHOULIES

TRANCERS

ELIMINATORS

CRAWLSPACE

FROM BEYOND

TERRORVISION

TROLL

DOLLS

PRISON

CELLAR DWELLER

CATACOMBS

GHOST TOWN

GHOULIES 2

ROBOT JOX

ARENA (DVD)

The Empire Pictures Blu-ray Collection ($250 US per unit) will be officially released on May 5th with a pre-sale going live on April 28th. These units will not be sold in stores and can only be purchased at FullMoonDirect.com. Yowza! Empire for life!

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/831753-80s-horror-alert-the-empire-pictures-blu-ray-collection-is-coming#dWOMloydxXYeoMWe.99