Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Re: 2017-2018 General Horror Discussion Thread

So yeah, agreeing with the praise for "The Devil's Candy." Incredibly creepy, not to mention one of the rare times I've seen a movie that actually takes the metal genre seriously.

I saw "Life" last week. As far as movies "inspired" by Alien, it's not too bad, but Goddamn the characters in it make the dumbest decisions on a regular basis. Nothing bad, but I wished it had been better.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

The Void is now available on VOD. Do yourself a favor and check it out. 2017's 1st quarter has been pretty damn solid for horror.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I loved the creature design and late 80's aesthetic of The Void, but was let down overall. The editing and lighting hurt my eyes at times and aside from the cop, I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. I also felt like it tread the line between homage and ripoff with

the final shot being the same shot from The Beyond and the villain essentially being Dr. Channard from Hellraiser II among other things.

Overall, I thought Baskin worked way better as a Hellraiser/80's horror tribute.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

The trailer for THE MIST tv show just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_uqiSQOY

Looks similar in setup to the movie/book. I hope the trailer is just messing with us, and they aren't turning this into some pseudo-psychological "we are the monsters in the mist" kind of thing.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Brocklock said:
I loved the creature design and late 80's aesthetic of The Void, but was let down overall. The editing and lighting hurt my eyes at times and aside from the cop, I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. I also felt like it tread the line between homage and ripoff with

the final shot being the same shot from The Beyond and the villain essentially being Dr. Channard from Hellraiser II among other things.

Overall, I thought Baskin worked way better as a Hellraiser/80's horror tribute.
Oh man, "Baskin" creeped me out, especially the cult leader.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

NoCalMike said:
The Void is now available on VOD. Do yourself a favor and check it out. 2017's 1st quarter has been pretty damn solid for horror.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but I felt (and I know this was an attempt to franchise this one) that there was a real satisfying ending missing. The film cut out just as things were starting to come together. Otherwise can't really complain too much as I enjoyed most of the characters (although some were not nearly fleshed out at all, making them kinda just there) and the gore was WOW

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow is releasing a Deluxe edition of "Re-Animator" on 7/25. Specs are

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• 2K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions of the film
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
• Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer Michael Gingold
• Re-Animator – the original 1991 comic book adaptation, reprinted in its entirety

DISC 1 – UNRATED VERSION

• Unrated version [86 mins]
• Audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
• Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Abbott, and Robert Sampson
• Re-Animator Resurrectus – documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cats and crew
• Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
• Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
• Interview with composer Richard Band
• Music Discussion with composer Richard Band
• Interview with former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone
• Barbara Crampton In Conversation –the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning discussion
• Deleted and Extended Scenes
• Trailer & TV Spots

DISC 2 – INTEGRAL VERSION – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

• Integral version [105 mins]
• A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema – brand new featurette looking at the many various cinematic incarnations of writer H.P. Lovecraft’s work

PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Other upcoming releases include

"Deathline" aka "Raw Meat", which drops on 6/27 via Blue Underground. Specs are

• Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Gary Sherman, Producer Paul Maslansky, and Assistant Director Lewis More O’Ferrall
• Tales From The Tube – Interview with Co-Writer/Director Gary Sherman and Executive Producers Jay Kanter & Alan Ladd Jr.
• From The Depths – Interview with Star David Ladd and Producer Paul Maslansky
• Mind The Doors – Interview with Star Hugh Armstrong
• DEATH LINE Trailer
• RAW MEAT Trailer
• RAW MEAT TV Spots
• RAW MEAT Radio Spots
• Poster & Still Gallery
• BONUS Collectable Booklet featuring new writing by authors Michael Gingold and Christopher Gullo
• Brand new 2K restoration from the original uncensored camera negative approved by Director Gary Sherman
• Exclusive Limited Edition includes Blu-ray, DVD, bonus collectable booklet, reversible ‘Raw Meat’ sleeve, and special packaging

"The Unholy", which comes out on the same date via Vestron. Specs are

• Audio Commentary with Director Camilo Vila
• Isolated Score Selections and Audio Interview with Composer Roger Bellon
• Audio Interview with Production Designer and Co-Writer Fernando Fonseca, Featuring Isolated Selections from His Unused Score
• “Sins of the Father” with Ben Cross
• Demons in the Flesh: The Monsters of THE UNHOLY
• “Prayer Offerings” with Fernando Fonseca
• Original Ending Featuring Optional Audio Commentary with Producer Mathew Hayden
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spots
• Radio Spots
• Original Storyboard Gallery
• Still Gallery

Finally, Scream Factory will be releasing the following (no specs so far):

-Slither (7/25)
-Species (7/11)
-Night of the Sorcerers/The Lorely's Grasp Double Feature (7/04)

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

Curious how the Re-Animator release looks. Arrow's Bride of Re-Animator scored 4s across the board at Blu-Ray.com but also only had an LPCM 2.0 track. The original RA release by Image Entertainment scored 3.5 on Audio/Video had a 5.1 HDMA track but came with a VC-1 video instead of the more common MP4 AVC.

I'll likely wait for the review/score of Arrow's release before deciding if it's worth a double dip. Arrow also tends to be pricy as fuck and unless the score's 5.0 I probably won't.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-0hcF97wy0

This looks promising. A24 have a good track record as far as horror is concerned ("Green Room", "The Witch" and "The Monster" were all last year) so I'm hopeful.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score

From SF
18194857_982403781896633_3978671193881405664_n.jpg

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow's August titles include

C_oi-BoXoAAKVKX.jpg

Don't Torture a Duckling :
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
The Blood of Innocents, a new video discussion with Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film
Every (Wo)man Their Own Hell, a new video essay by critic Kat Ellinger
Interviews with co-writer/director Lucio Fulci, actor Florinda Bolkan, cinematographer Sergio D Offizi, assistant editor Bruno Micheli and assistant makeup artist Maurizio Trani
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Timothy Pittides
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector s booklet with new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw and Howard Hughes

C_ojVO7XgAAia-9.png

The Slayer :
Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new interviews with cast and crew
Original Theatrical Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

What We Do In the Shadows was hilarious, especially if you're a big fan of vampire movies as it's a faux documentary that completely takes the piss on everything vampire lore. Also some of the effects work was fantastic.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

"Phenomena" is Dario Argento's most batshit movie and I say this with praise. The last 15 minutes are some of his best work.

MONKEY WITH A STRAIGHT RAZOR!!!

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Blu-Ray updates and whatnot.

Criterion will finally release the original "Straw Dogs" on June 27th. Special features are

New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
Audio commentary from 2003 by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies
Mantrap: “Straw Dogs”—The Final Cut, a 2003 documentary about the making of the film
Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron, a 1993 documentary
New conversation between critic Michael Sragow and filmmaker Roger Spottiswoode, one of the editors on the film
New interview with film scholar Linda Williams about the film’s controversies
Archival interviews with actor Susan George, producer Daniel Melnick, and Peckinpah biographer Garner Simmons
Behind-the-scenes footage
TV spots and trailers
PLUS: An essay by scholar and critic Joshua Clover and a 1974 interview with Peckinpah

Meanwhile, Veston Videos next release

warlock.jpg

Comes out June 25th. Special features are

WARLOCK SPECIAL FEATURES (Disc 1)

NEW Audio Commentary with Director Steve Miner
NEW Isolated Score Selections/Audio Interview with Author Jeff Bond
NEW Interviews
“Satan’s Son” with Actor Julian Sands
“The Devil’s Work” with Director Steve Miner
“Effects of Evil” with Make-up Effects Creators Carl Fullerton and Neal Martz
Behind-the-Scenes Footage
Vintage Interview Segments with Cast and Crew
Vintage Featurette with Make-Up Effects Creators Carl Fullerton and Neal Martz
Vintage Featurette with Visual Effects Supervisors Patrick Read Johnson and Robert Habros, Animation Supervisor Mauro Maressa, and Matte Artist Robert Scifo
Theatrical Trailer
Video Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

WARLOCK: THE ARMAGEDDON SPECIAL FEATURES (Disc 2)

NEW Audio Commentary with Director Anthony Hickox
Vintage Making-of Featurette Behind-the-Scenes Footage
Extended Vintage Interview Segments with Actor Julian Sands, Director Anthony Hickox, and Actress Paula Marshall
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

WARLOCK III: THE END OF INNOCENCE SPECIAL FEATURES (Disc 2)

Behind-the-Scenes Footage
Vintage Interview Segments with Cast and Crew
Trailer
Video Sales Promo
Still Gallery

Finally, no date or special features yet but Scream Factory announced they will be releasing Dan O'Bannon's "The Resurrected" (which is an adaptation of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and one of the better movies based on Lovecraft's work) in the future

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I'm so in on that Warlock set.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

If, like me, you enjoy slow burn horror that gets under your skin and stays long after, then you gotta see "The Blackcoat's Daughter" which is also one of the most profoundly sad horror movies I've seen in a while.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Gary said:
If, like me, you enjoy slow burn horror that gets under your skin and stays long after, then you gotta see "The Blackcoat's Daughter" which is also one of the most profoundly sad horror movies I've seen in a while.

I second this. I actually didn't like it as much the first time I saw it (when it still went by the title "February") There was so much hype behind it due to it getting positive buzz from festivals then disappearing for a couple years. Watched it a second time and did pretty much a 180. It's excellent.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
I'm so in on that Warlock set.
At last, we finally agree on something.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Heard decent buzz for It Comes At Night, which is getting a relatively wide release on Friday. Looking forward to it....

Unfortunately, it feels like mainstream horror this summer will be few and far between but hopefully enough on the indie scene to satisfy the proverbial craving.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Details on Shout Factory's 7/11 release of Species

DISC ONE
NEW 4K scan of the interpositive
Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen, and director Roger Donaldson
Audio Commentary with director Roger Donaldson, make-up effects creator Steve Johnson, visual effects supervisor Richard Edlund and producer Frank Mancuso Jr.

DISC TWO
NEW Afterbirth: The Evolution of SPECIES featuring interviews with director Roger Donaldson, cinematographer Andzej Bartkowiak, production designer John Muto, composer Christopher Young, creature designer Steve Johnson, chrysalis supervisor Billy Bryan and "Sil" creature supervisor Norman Cabrera
From Sil To Eve – an interview with actress Natasha Henstridge
Engineering Life
HR Giger At Work
The Making Of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery
Designing A Hybrid
Theatrical Trailer
Alternate Ending
Photo Galleries (Production Design, Creature Designs, Film Stills, Behind the Scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)
Optional English SDH subtitles

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Arrow Video's September horror releases are

DB4uf-6XsAAodDH.png

Based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.
Our US pre-order links should be live soon!
Release Date: 19 September

HE WHO WALKS BEHIND THE ROWS
A young couple travelling cross-country find themselves stranded in the small town of Gatlin, where they meet a mysterious religious cult of children. With no adults in sight the terror brews as the new arrivals find the secrets of the prospering corn fields and the children who inhabit them. Led by the mysterious Isaac and the unhinged Malachi the blood-curdling secrets of the children of Gatlin are soon revealed to their new ‘outlander’ guests.
Featuring stellar performances from Linda Hamilton (Terminator) and Peter Horton (thirtysomething) and based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and 5.1 Audio Options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary with John Sullivan of childrenofthecornmovie.com and horror journalist Justin Beahm
• Audio commentary with director Fritz Kiersch, producer Terrence Kirby and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• Harvesting Horror: The Making of Children of the Corn – retrospective piece featuring interviews with director Fritz Kiersch and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• It Was the Eighties! – an interview with actress Linda Hamilton
• Return to Gatlin – brand new featurette revisiting the film’s original Iowa shooting locations
• Stephen King on a Shoestring – an interview with producer Donald Borchers
• Welcome to Gatlin: The Sights and Sounds of Children of the Corn – an interview with production designer Craig Stearns and composer Jonathan Elias
• Feeling Blue – an interview with the actor who played “The Blue Man” in the fabled excised sequence
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

FIRST PRESSING: Collectors booklet featuring new writing in the film.

DB4u065WAAA2TEA.png

Release Dates: 4/5 September
From executive producer Ben Wheatley (Kill List, Free Fire) comes a mind-bending British psychological thriller to sit alongside such classics of the genre as Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell’s Performance, David Lynch’s Lost Highway and Christopher Nolan’s Following.
Chris is a homicide detective called to London to investigate a strange double murder. Both victims appear to have continued moving towards their assailant despite multiple gunshots to the face and chest. On a hunch, and with the help of an old colleague – and former girlfriend – Chris decides to go undercover as a patient to investigate the suspect’s psychotherapist, the mysterious Alexander Morland, who has a taste for the occult…

The debut feature of writer-director Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten (Sightseers), Alice Lowe (Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place) and Dan Renton Skinner (Notes on Blindness), The Ghoul is the latest standout addition to a thriving new wave of British cinema.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) / Standard Definiton DVD presentation
• Original 5.1 audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for the hard-of-hearing
• Filmmakers’ commentary
• Interviews with the cast and crew
• The Baron, a 2013 short film by Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten and Steve Oram (Aaaaaaaah!, Sightseers)
• Trailer

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Adam Scovell, author of Folk Horror: Hours Dreadful and Things Strange

NoCalMike

Reaction score

It Comes At Night was pretty damn solid, but I will say this....if you know nothing of the movie? Keep it that way. Don't even watch the trailer, because I think the trailer will actually do a little damage to your viewing experience. Not because it spoils anything, but because it gives a false sense of what the movie is about.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

NoCalMike said:
It Comes At Night was pretty damn solid, but I will say this....if you know nothing of the movie? Keep it that way. Don't even watch the trailer, because I think the trailer will actually do a little damage to your viewing experience. Not because it spoils anything, but because it gives a false sense of what the movie is about.

Absolutely agreed. I somehow just was able to check out a brief plot paragraph and that was it as I didnt see one ad or trailer for it beforehand. Came in 95 percent blind and I lost track of how many times I dropped my jaw during it or generally was just like "holy shit, what is happening here". The film as a whole caught me off guard in how effective it brought the dread and fear/paranoia abound. There was a strong sense of isolation and how that can affect a person to and it was done so very well. Cinematography as a whole was incredible. Certainly left a huge mark on me upon leaving the film on Friday, it kind of rang in my head all weekend to be honest. A very unique and unsettling experience for sure.

Diddo those sentiments for Blackcoat's Daughter, which I decided to watch the same night as It Comes At Night. It took me awhile to watch it as it was a very emotionally complex film to me. Talk about a one/two punch of very deep and dark dread and sadness with both of these. If you want to freak yourself out, try a double feature of these two like I did.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

I hated The Blackcoat's Daughter. Just felt like pretentious, high-brow schlock with a decent final 20 minutes take on
possible demonic possession
. I could see what it was going for but it just felt like a director thinking he was better than he was at directing and tried to make everything atmospheric and brooding while forgetting about the story/character development. I couldn't tell you a single character trait for any of the characters except maybe the father taking Joan in the car with his wife because
their daughter died, he keeps trying to find her again in others, and he believes in God

The film would have worked better if the director didn't try to get cute with brief snapshot flashbacks and just showed more background or actually developed a relationship with
Katherine
and the other girl so
her being stabbed to death, whilst pregnant, would actually be impactful.

Caveat: I liked The Babadook, The Witch, and Get Out but did not like It Follows or The Blackcoat's Daughter as far as recent horror films that were less spooky monsters/ghosts style horror.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

I'm stoked for Blackcoat's Daughter for a couple of reasons. I'm enjoying this foray into more unknown horror, and it's directed by Oz Perkins, Anthony Perkins' son.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Perkins had a 5-10 minute interview after the Blackcoats Daughter (if you order it on DirecTv at least) which laid out the foundation and idea he was going at in the manner he did this. That would explain his very unique and effective directing style which I thought worked, it was different and fresh direction that horror needs a shot of, and created a more cerebral kind of feeling, this was similar in It Comes At Night too.

I thought the disjointed and subjective narrative in Blackcoat's Daughter as well made the film get the desired effect of it just being very psychologically effective to me. There clearly was a layer of a really twisted possession going on that was pretty well done too. There was good slow build stuff with both of these films as well. I hope more like these gets the greenlight as I'd rather see horror go in a direction like this instead of the cliche possessed children kind of bullshit.

On a side note, I read the Amityville movie (which was set to be released end of this month or next) once again got taken off the release scheduled and now is listed TBA. What in the fuggity fuck is the deal with this? That's something like the 4th or 5th shift it's done. It also went from an R film to a PG-13 cut at some point too.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Why not just put it on Netflix? Are they waiting for Bella Thorne to become a breakout star? I think there was a trailer for it when I went to see Annabelle

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Yeah I dont get why they just dont release it on Bluray/On Demand/Netflix, etc. There has to be some weird behind the scenes dealings with Dimension/TWC/Blumhouse that's preventing this from just being released. The damn thing has been in the can since fn 2014 so its long overdue that this just gets released already!

Yeah I've seen years of variations of this trailer attached to horror films, it just seems silly to spend all this marketing $$$$$ everytime they get close to the release date only to pull it.

The difference this time is that no future release date has been announced. The other times they at least just moved it ahead to another date.