Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Re: 2017-2018 General Horror Discussion Thread

Blue Underground will release Dario Argento's "The Stendhal Syndrome" on July 25th. Extras include

Disc 1 Extras:

NEW Audio Commentary with Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse
Three Shades Of Asia – NEW Interview with Star Asia Argento
Prisoner Of Art – NEW Interview with Co-Writer Franco Ferrini
Sharp As A Razor – NEW Interview with Special Makeup Artist Franco Casagni
Theatrical Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery

Disc 2 Extras:

Director: Dario Argento
Inspiration: Psychological Consultant Graziella Magherini
Special Effects: Sergio Stivaletti
Assistant Director: Luigi Cozzi
Production Designer: Massimo Antonello Geleng

BONUS Collectable Booklet with new essay by author Michael Gingold

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Shits getting hairy with rights to the Jason character in court....kind of strange implications too. Is this why shit has fell through so much with a new film and the t.v. series?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/friday-13th-producer-points-writers-union-membership-bid-hold-franchise-rights-1012930

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

There is some talk about a movie called HERE ALONE, that is similar to IT COMES AT NIGHT. People seem to like both. I will be checking out HERE ALONE soon.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score

I finally got around to watching It Follows, yesterday. A little bit of the film is genuinely unnerving and the wide angle shots are very nice, but the end was so sudden. I still can't say for sure if I really liked it, but for now, it was just OK.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

It was an interesting movie. As you said, there are some very unnerving shots, and it looks great, the score is top notch. I HATE the ending. They work the entire movie to set up rules in their universe, and then break almost all of them at the end.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Scream Factory's latest acquisitions

DED9dnqU0AA2hYs.jpg

DEAb58hUIAEBpPP.jpg

Should be out in October

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Brocklock said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcb68kAOvt4

ugh. This type of movie seems so passe and outdated in 2017 and they couldn't even get any familiar faces or c level actors. Even The Bye Bye Man had Carrie Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway.
Looking back, I honestly think the "Saw" series is probably my least favorite horror franchise. The first one isn't terrible, but it wasn't all that good either, and they just got progressively worse with each outing. Even "Leatherface" looks more interesting than this. At least that's from the dudes that directed "Inside"

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

There's a documentary that came out in January called Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary, a must watch for any fan of the movie. It's available on Amazon Prime.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Harley Quinn said:
There's a documentary that came out in January called Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary, a must watch for any fan of the movie. It's available on Amazon Prime.

Nice. Thinking out loud here but it seems like retrospective docs on especially horror franchises or cult favs seem to be a trend the past few years. Is there a site or listing that has them all, including where they might be (Amazon, Netflix, etc)?

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Re: 2017-2018 Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

Apparently last night at an event for the Hatchet 10th Anniversary the audience was expecting to view the original film but instead got to see the debut of the new movie....

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/22/hatchet-victor-crowley-adam-green/

Titled Victor Crowley it's being called a reboot but the events of the original trilogy happened and this one takes place ten years later.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Eh, I'm bored so upcoming horror Blu and DVD releases

Sept 5th

-Raw (DVD only) (Universal)
-The Ghoul (Arrow Video)
-The Spell (Scream Factory)
-A Dark Song (IFC/Scream Factory)
-American Psycho 2 (Lionsgate) Because...I dunno. You want to own everything William Shatner has appeared in?

Sept 12th

-Dario Argento's Phenomea (Synapse) Excited for this one
-Dan O Bannon's The Resurrected (Scream Factory) I really recommend this one by the way. It's Dan O Bannon doing an adaptation of Lovecraft's "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward"
-It Comes At Night (Lionsgate)
-Evil Dead 1 and 2 (Lionsgate)
-The Suspicious Death of a Minor (Arrow Video)
-The Fox With a Velvet Tail (Mondo Macabro)
-Spider (Mondo Macabro)

Sept 19th

-The Devil's Candy (IFC/Scream Factory) You should see this one if you haven't already
-Children of the Corn (Arrow Video)
-Innocent Blood (Warner Archive)
-A Quiet Place in the Country (Scream Factory)

Sept 26th

-After Midnight (Scream Factory)
-The Dead Next Door (Tempe Digital)
-Psychos in Love (Vinegar Syndrome)

Oct 3rd

-Cult of Chucky (Universal) or you can just get the 7 movie collection
-Vampyr (Criterion) Love this one
-Popcorn (Synapse)
-976-Evil (Sony)

Oct 10th

-Kill Baby Kill (Kino Lorber) yay for more Mario Bava on Blu
-The Poughkeepsie Tapes Tapes (Scream Factory)
-Blood Feast (Arrow Video)
-The Lift (Blue Underground)

Oct 17th

-Rawhead Rex (Kino Lorber)
-Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (Universal)
-Red Christmas (Artsploitation)

Oct 24th

-George A. Romero: Between Night and Day (Arrow Video) Limited Edition box set containing "Season of the Witch", "There's Always Vanilla" and "The Crazies"
-Land of the Dead (Scream Factory)
-Dawn of the Dead (the 2004 remake) (Scream Factory)
-The Old Dark House (Cohen Media)
-Night Angel Kino Lorber
-The Corpse Grinders, Demon Wind, Blood Beat, Prime Evil and Lurkers (Vinegar Syndrome)

Oct 31st

-J.D.'s Revenge (Arrow Video)
-Slaughter High (Vestron Video/Lionsgate)

November Titles (Thus Far)

-Satan's Cheerleaders (Nov 07th) (VCI)
-Paul Naschy Collection II (Nov 14th) (Scream Factory)
-Misery (Nov 28th) (Scream Factory)

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

No dates yes, but coming soon or eventually

-Suspiria (Limited Edition Steelbox) (Synapse)
-The Kindred (Synapse)
-The Hidden (Warner Archive)
-Anthropophagus (Severin)
-Don't Torture a Duckling (Arrow Video) I'm confused, because Amazon has it still listed for September, but I've heard it's been moved to October 3rd
-Basket Case (Arrow Video)
-Silent Night, Deadly Night (Scream Factory)
-Drag Me to Hell (Scream Factory)
-Who Could Kill a Child (Mondo Macabro)
-The Blood Spattered Bride (Mondo Macabro)
-The Unnameable (Unearthed Films)

And several titles from Code Red DVD and Scorpion Releasing, including

-Dario Argento's Opera
-The Church
-The Sect
-Lucio Fulci's City of the Living Dead, The Psychic and Murder Rock
-Umberto Lenzi's Seven Blood Stained Orchids
-Cut and Run

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score

The Missus and I watched a few films this weekend. Saturday, we caught Ouija Origin of Evil. It was just OK, but honestly, the creepy kid gimmick is getting quite old. Last night, it was the Tom Cruise Mummy and Oculus. The Mummy was a bye the numbers action flick, but it was fun in a mindless way. I recommend seeing it at least once. It was trying to set up a cinematic universe, but since it tanked, I guess we won't see much of that. Oculus was a lot better than I expected, and well worth seeing.

rollie

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Is Stenhal Syndrom worth watching? I've really enjoyed what Argento I've seen but generally understood that there was a pretty sharp decline after Opera so haven't seen anything from that point onwards. I'm not a big horror person but really enjoy doing a series of horror films in October and the films I've watched of his have been some of my favourites within the genre - his aesthetic and the Giallo/supernatural with Giallo tinge stories just click really well for me.
I'm vaguely tempted by the third three mothers too in a "well I know it's gonna be shite but completionist?" kinda of way...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

No idea but if you do decide to check it out, let us know if it's worth the watch.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

Nymyzys said:
The Missus and I watched a few films this weekend. Saturday, we caught Ouija Origin of Evil. It was just OK, but honestly, the creepy kid gimmick is getting quite old. Last night, it was the Tom Cruise Mummy and Oculus. The Mummy was a bye the numbers action flick, but it was fun in a mindless way. I recommend seeing it at least once. It was trying to set up a cinematic universe, but since it tanked, I guess we won't see much of that. Oculus was a lot better than I expected, and well worth seeing.

Oculus was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. The director did a movie called Hush last year that was great. He also did the Netflix Stephen King movie Gerald's Game that debuts later this month as well as The Haunting of Hill House for Netflix for later this year. He also directed Ouija Origin of Evil.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score

Detective Ventriloquist said:
Nymyzys said:

Oculus was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. The director did a movie called Hush last year that was great. He also did the Netflix Stephen King movie Gerald's Game that debuts later this month as well as The Haunting of Hill House for Netflix for later this year. He also directed Ouija Origin of Evil.

I've watched Ouija Origin and Hush. Hush was so damn good. It was a wonderfully filmed and smart suspense/slasher. OOoE was pretty good as well. It wasn't the best I've watched, but I would recommend it to fans of hauntings. I saw the trailer for Gerald's Game, and now I can't wait to see it!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Just saw It Comes At Night, thought it was amazing. I kinda want more from that universe.. but I know if Hollywood gets their hands on it for a sequel (which is what usually happens) it'll probably be a shit show.

Reaction score

I asked students who their top 3 greatest Americans are and two different students selected Wes Craven, and one of those and another said Tim Burton!

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

"Hellraiser" will be getting a SteelBook release on Halloween via Arrow. Also, Scream Factory will be releasing "Silent Night, Deadly Night", "Hell Night" and "American Gothic" in December.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Blumhouse is releasing Happy Death Day on October 13th in theaters. It's basically Groundhog Day meets Detective Story (solving your own murder) with more of a comedy tinge. Looks like it could be a fun ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxS1bBg5o0

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score

Jamie Lee Curtis is back one last time, as Laurie Strode. Next year's Halloween, which releases on October 19th, is a direct sequel to the 1981 Halloween 2.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3459383/jamie-lee-curtis-playing-laurie-strode-blumhouses-halloween/

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Halloween Resurrection never happened? I'm ok with that.