Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Get your ass on your phone and fix your fucking twitter right now! Part 3

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

I didn’t read the article but from what I‘ve seen, there is an unfair criticism of Charlotte given in this article. At the same time, when did Charlotte do jobs for eighteen months? If she’s referring to putting over Bayley and Becky on the roads to their historic title reigns, she still got a couple title wins in those stretches.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hurricane was the best part of 2002 and 2003 WWE. I literally tuned in for his segments during that time period. Wrestling honchos can talk about the champion being the one that draws money, Hurricane Helms drew my money, not Stone Cold nor the Rock.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Some of the names mentioned failed on top in reality, which is an easy counter argument to the everyone gets a run modern philosophy.

Perfect got the hot angle in Nov 89, smashing Hogan's WWF title on SNME. His run with Hogan was considered to have then done soft business, 13K at MSG, 8K in Philly, etc

Steamboat's post Mania 3 run with Savage flopped. 1200 in Cincy, 2300 in St Louis etc. Plus his 89 run in WCW was botched and he and Flair drew empty seats by the thousands for their classic run.

Owen probably peaked with what he accomplished in 1994. Bret losing at Summerslam and winning it back from Owen at Survivor Series would have been fine I suppose, but Owen seemed to fit best as a Tully Blanchard like sneaky upper mid card heel.

Piper of course couldn't be trusted to lose, plus he still thought he was in the normal wrestling business and was messing around with Crockett and Don Owens while Vince was making him a millionaire.

Heel Jake in 91/92 would have been fine transitionally, but his drug use was rampant by then. In the 80s, I don't see it. By the time he put on some mass, Hogan and Warrior were entrenched. His B-show headliner status with Rude, Andre, Dibiase fit well.

Bad News Brown was sort of old and kind of fat by 1988. Getting a run with Hogan and Savage in late 88/early 89 was perfect. If wrestling was booked like today, then sure News could have gotten a screwy win in Dec over Savage, and lost it back at the Rumble or whatever, but it's no real shame in how things played out.

78-83 Dusty is a good answer. If the WWF wanted Backlund to step back for a bit and drop the belt to a Ken Patera, Don Muraco, Greg Valentine type for Dusty to beat.

In 1993, I was convinced Razor was beating Bret at the Rumble for the title. Hart was still earning his top guy stripes at the time.

Simmons would have been fine in 1997 had he beat Taker in a screwy fashion. Hart and Austin were carrying the promotion, so Farooq would have had help drawing.

Davey Boy was excellent if someone could carry/guide him, but his mid-90s stuff didn't hold up for me when he wasn't working with Perfect, Vader, Hart or Shawn. His Diesel PPV match is legendarily bad. Heel Smith loved his rest holds.

Dibiase's 1987/88 run as top heel was considered a disappointment as fans thought he was too small for monster killer Hogan. Adding Andre to the mix gave Dibiase the extra bulk on top of his cheap heat gimmick. (Slaying Sacred Cows here!)

My official picks are 1980/1 Ken Patera who was drawing in the WWF and NWA simultaneously.
1985 Kerry Von Erich was giving women orgasms just walking to the ring. He was doing well in trips to St Louis and Chicago as well. (Fritz should have expanded, or Verne should have paid what it would have taken to get him). This is a better answer for non WWF places though as 85 Hogan was printing money.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I didn’t read the article but from what I‘ve seen, there is an unfair criticism of Charlotte given in this article. At the same time, when did Charlotte do jobs for eighteen months? If she’s referring to putting over Bayley and Becky on the roads to their historic title reigns, she still got a couple title wins in those stretches.

Cage Match says in 2019 she went 35-100-4, It was quite a bit of losing to Bayley and Becky, but she still managed three title wins (one to set up Mania, one that immediately got cashed in on by Bayley, and one where she took the belt from Bayley for, like, five days). So, not exactly lengthy reigns, but still padding that resume. She also had a bunch of losses toward the end against the Kabuki Warriors. I don't like the idea of 2019 Charlotte saying she was "making stars" out of Bayley, Becky, and Asuka. If you want to say she made anyone, it was probably laying down for Rhea Ripley around Survivor Series, which she got her receipt for when it was important.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At risk of backing some Brodesplaining, I'm with him that I'm always confounded when he's at the top of "Greatest Guys to Never Win The WWF World Title" lists". I love Curt Hennig and he's sorely missed but as @BruiserBrody mentioned, he did have a semi-lengthy shot at main event run in WWF and it went over like a dry potato chip fart (and kind of foreshadowed the huge business crash that would happen for them in a year). To me, I feel like he's at best as the top guy in a mid level promotion or a strong upper mid-card guy in a major promotion. I don't think you could center the WWF around him. I'm sorry, Perfect fans!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
If Scott Hall kept his demons in check and never left for WCW in 1996, I have no doubt he would have been the #2 face behind Shawn while Bret was out (#3 if you count Taker).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Razor definitely was over enough, had enough charisma and was a decent enough worker when motivated but I think his downfall was reliability issues. Can you imagine getting him up at 5:30 AM to do morning TV to promote the show that night? I feel like he was perfectly content in upper midcard role.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
A clean Razor goes coast to coast in the Rumble with Shawn, at least. Story writes itself. Let him sell out to Dibiase and be the guy who turns the urn into a necklace, which makes more sense. Run Diesel/Bulldog instead of the triple-header match, then run Diesel/Razor (which would redeem the Bulldog match). Build to him and Waltman at WM where he'd lose and turn face. He and HHH feud way too long. Razor beats Shawn for the belt. Main events with HHH, Vader, Sid, and Bret. Drops it at Final Four and spends the rest of his career in the WWF back in the mid-upper card and ruling the IC title. Clean Scott Hall, who didn't jump, could've been awesome.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
It's really insane to think 20-something Brody was still doing backyard wrestling in 2004
22. My best friend used that hotness for a college project. He convinced me and the other dude to take part. The day included a run to Good Will for supplies and likely ended with Taco Bell and beer.

The sadder thing is the Derek Derek Derek stuff is like 2-3 years(?) or so later. I probably should have stopped drinking 3-4 nights a week before I was 28. It did nothing for me romantically, financially or for the most part socially.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing worse than WWE are people whose personality is hating WWE.