Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Ghostbusters: The Video Game News

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It may have been discusses here already, but the PS3 version is graphically inferior to the 360, and the PC users got hosed with no multi-player. And on top of that, if you bought the game and got a exclusive download code (I got it at Gamestop, so I got the gray flight suit), the codes are not working right now for some reason.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
So for those that have the game, would you say it is worth full price? I am at the point where I want a new game, but really have nothing to trade in because I wanna hold onto Madden 09 until 10 comes out to get credit for that.

I want this game though.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic, but I have to ask... where are you going to trade in Madden 09 in August that'll allow you to get something more than $1-5, tops?

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I wish I found this myself during my initial wandering around the firehouse stage, but there's apparently a really funny monitor somewhere. CONGLATURATION!

Check out the Employee of the Month board near the Q-Bert machine too.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
So for those that have the game, would you say it is worth full price? I am at the point where I want a new game, but really have nothing to trade in because I wanna hold onto Madden 09 until 10 comes out to get credit for that.

I want this game though.

If you like Ghostbusters 1 & 2, you'll really like the game. It's worth the $60, and I think I might have mentioned it before, but if you buy it at Toys R Us, they give you a Stay Puft gift card that gives you $20 off your next purchase, so that's a good incentive. I plan to use my giftcard to get either Prototype or Red Faction for $40.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Enjoyment of the game varies greatly on your familiarity / love of the Ghostbusters franchise. If you dreamt of one day firing a proton gun while searching for ghosts with a PKE meter and have fond memories of doing so with Kenner toys, this is as close to that dream coming true as there is.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Aero said:
Sorry to go off topic, but I have to ask... where are you going to trade in Madden 09 in August that'll allow you to get something more than $1-5, tops?

Well you don't have to wait till August to trade it in. When I go in to buy Ghostbusters, I just bring Madden 09 and say I want to trade it in and use the credit towards Madden 10 preorder. Maybe my wording was a bit confusing.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Damn I don't even know if there is a Toys R Us in Sacramento anymore, hahaha.....umm...I will check though cause a $20 gift card just for buying a game RULES.

Yeah I am def a Ghostbusters movie franchise fan. I am sure I will love the game. I was just asking as far as gameplay goes. I mean I am a Simpsons fanatic, but at the same time the "simpsons effect" can wear off a few hours into the game, and then it has more to do with the game itself then the theme of the game, but from everything I have read so far the pros really outweight the few cons.

Sign me up for Saturday!

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
A legitimate gameplay gripe I have is, especially during boss battles, you get the shit kicked out of you by things moving way too fast from out of nowhere. I've been loving it though, and once you get used to zapping and trapping, it becomes even more fun. For instance:

When you are trapping your first ghost, this kind of took me awhile - it kept getting away, I lost sight of it, etc. Fast forward to the Natural History Museum Level where there are SEVERAL Civil War ghosts flying about, zapping, slamming, and trapping was second nature and really fun.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
Enjoyment of the game varies greatly on your familiarity / love of the Ghostbusters franchise. If you dreamt of one day firing a proton gun while searching for ghosts with a PKE meter and have fond memories of doing so with Kenner toys, this is as close to that dream coming true as there is.

Good. So I'm bound to love it then.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Aero said:

Well you don't have to wait till August to trade it in. When I go in to buy Ghostbusters, I just bring Madden 09 and say I want to trade it in and use the credit towards Madden 10 preorder. Maybe my wording was a bit confusing.

Yeah, I thought you meant that you were holding onto 09 until 10 comes out in August.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I think I just heard the best voice mail yet:

"Professor Jones trying to find out information on the where about of the Vigo painting. Do you have any idea what happened to it? It's a priceless historic artifact - it belongs in a museum!"

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I got the PS2 version for $20. Saving up for a 360, but I neeeeeeeded this game!

Using the button to lock onto the nearest ghost sure does help zapping them, and once you get the multiple weapons? Voila!

Overall, a fun game, but I can't help but feel that Atari could have made it that much better.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just beat the game. My only two real gripes were that it was too short, and it only saved on checkpoints (but you aren't completely sure where they are). I missed Peck's entrance because of that- I turned the game off after the first level to eat, then when I turned it back on, I skipped the cutscenes and the Firehouse completely to go to the second level. but overall, this is a fun game.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given that my college town home is all but deserted for the summer, I'm watching someone play through this on YouTube because the only friend I have left is currently having issues with his 360. So it's like I'm playing it, except this guy seems to get off on shooting every NPC with a proton stream.

Why isn't there a way to shorten your stream so you don't burn Egon's face off? :D

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Played the game for a few hours and I am enjoying it. There have been a few things here and there that have annoyed me (HUD on the backpack is a little too small some times and makes it hard to see how much health you have and the damn 30 second load time to restore a checkpoint after you die come to mind). Game seems fairly well written and the full blown CGI cut scenes are fun to watch.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed playing online. I wish they had included co-op through the campaign (seriously...every game pretty much has it now...wtf?) but the fast paced short doses of what they have are pretty enjoyable.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haven't played much of online yet, but I liked the survival mode where you take on wave after wave of ghosts.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The little cupid statue ghosts in the graveyard are the most ANNOYING enemy in the history of next gen gaming. Seriously. You have to deal with five of the little shits at once and you get one hooked, the other four attack and kick your ass. Thank god Ray stayed upright since I got destroyed in that part.

Beat the game, was well worth it. Plan on beating it again. Just hate the spiders (why must EVERY game have them? Seriously? EVERY game has a spider!) and those little cupids.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
Online play is so much fun. Haven't touched the story mode in two days because I've been too busy with the multiplayer.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The little cupid angel part was annoying, but once you figure out what you have to do, its not that hard.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I rented the Wii version. Very fun. My friend that grew up playing with all my Ghostbuster toys and I are really enjoying the co-op. It's not perfect (there are camera issues, the PKE goggles simply aren't in the game despite being mentioned by the characters and in the instructions...) but it doesn't make me wish I had the more expensive version like I thought it would. Also, there are a lot of funny Nintendo references in the Stay-Puft Skyscraper stage.

EDIT: The PKE Goggles are in it. You just can't use them until the New York Public Library.