Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Godzilla vs Kong

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

I'm split TBH. The trailer music is kinda goofy IMO, and Adam Wingard has done some stuff I enjoy (A Horrible Way to Die, You're Next and The Guest) and stuff I did not care for (the Blair Witch reboot and the live action Death Note movie for Netflix). On the other hand, while I found Godzilla: King of the Monsters to be a step down quality wise, I still enjoyed it, and hey, Kong with a battle axe. It hits theaters and HBO Max on March 26th.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WHERE IS MY KONG SUPERMAN PUNCH!?

Looks like a goofy as fuck good time. The music is a perfect fit for that kind of movie imo. It tells you its going to be a nobrainer action flick with a lot of "KONG BOWS TO NO ONE" level lines and Giant Monsters With Weapons.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
My daughter, who's never seen a Kong or Godzilla movie before (she tends to only like Disney movies as she's autistic and doesn't like anything that might be even a little scary or different for her), watched the trailer with me and she got so excited and said she thought it looked really cool. I don't know if she'll sit through it, but she was hyped for it. That's a win in my book.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the last Kong movie. I don’t remember a ton of the first Godzilla in this franchise. Other than being a lot slower than I expected. Haven’t gotten to the newest one yet.

That said, I’m looking forward to this one if we get a lot of good monster fights.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
That said, I’m looking forward to this one if we get a lot of good monster fights.
The 2014 Godzilla was nothing but showing 2 seconds of a monster fight... now let’s see what the military is up to. Didn’t bother with King of the Monsters.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hated Godzilla 2014, but I had a good time with KOTM even though the human characters are even thinner. You get 1000 percent more monsters and it's a much more entertaining film than the self serious slog the first one was.

Kong: Skull Island was ruined by a terrible theater audience, but when I actually got to see it, I liked it a lot. It's really fun and John C. Reilly is so good in it.

I'm pretty excited for this. It shouldn't be too hard to do a crossover fight movie like this, but movies like Freddy Vs Jason and Alien Vs Predator screwed up by focusing way too much on the human characters. Unlike those films, this at least has some familiar faces and good actors and actresses in it. From what I'm reading it will be 105 minutes which is much shorter than the three other films, so hopefully it will just be the monster version of the 93 minute Chris Hero vs CM Punk 2/3 Falls match.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So are they going to add an element that is very quickly teased (I think?) in the trailer than at some point we get MECHAGODZILLA up in this one? My guess is maybe we get 2/3 of the film a straight Godzilla/Kong clash, and then Monarch shows up with MG to contain and control the battle? Just a theory. There are a few flash spots in the trailer where it looks like a more mechanized version is in the film.

I marked the fuck out for the trailer FWIW. I think Smackdown used that song in the trailer as a secondary theme at some point.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Figured I’d bump this. Came out internationally the other day. Will be in theaters and on HBO Max this Wednesday, 3/31

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Apparently, Zack Snyder fanboys are review bombing it on IMDB, but worry not. I have the exact thing needed to unite both Snyder Cut guys and fans of wanting to see a giant dinosaur fight a giant ape

Attachments

• 8AFE5B2D-E681-497F-8E8A-696E6AA7880A.jpeg
    8AFE5B2D-E681-497F-8E8A-696E6AA7880A.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 12

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Rewatched Kong: Skull Island last night and it was still as enjoyable as it was when I saw it a few years ago. You get Kong early and everything keeps moving. Great structure.

Watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters for the first time right now. So slow moving. You get a little more monsters than what I remember of the first one but still a much more dull story than Kong.

I really hope the new movie takes the lead of the Kong franchise and not the recent Godzilla movies.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
For the most part, this is exactly what you want out of a movie called "Godzilla vs Kong". It moves at a good pace, the fights are amazing (the best of the "Monsterverse" so far, and some of the best in both franchises so far), the humor feels less forced than it did in "Godzilla KOTM", and it's obvious everyone involved is having a grand ol time. There's a few flaws (particularly a twist that ultimately feels pointless) but yeah, hell of a time. I'd say 8/10.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked it. The battles were the high points and the humans weren't as insufferable in this installment and felt more in the background once the action began to kick in.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
This was sooooo much better than the other Godzilla monsterverse films so far, particularly they focused on easing back on the character-driven story and focus more on the actual monster conflict and storyline/mythology, thankfully. This was a major problem IMO with King of the Monsters and the first Godzilla, it was too human character-driven and the monsters took a backdrop seemingly. Kong Skull Island had a nice balance of characters and mythology/monster focus, similarily to this one.

What will be the follow up here is what I'm curious about. No tease of anything really much. I was a bit let down though from the followup from KOTM. What happened to all of the other monsters from the end of that film? Did Monarch just conveniently lock them up again, and threw away the keys? There was a random suggestion at one part of the film too that Rodan died, but how? I swear he was all good at the end of KOTM.

This was the first film in well over a year that really mainstream was released in 3D as well (Wonder Woman was very limited released in 3D in a handful of screens nationwide) and my first viewing was in that format. Really impressive 3D here with the action scenes, so would suggest checking that out if you have that option near you.

Biggest take of all of this is how this became the highest grossing film by far already during the pandemic, and this was with it being on HBO Max as well. Just goes to show these types of films are really what theaters are all about.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A little more human stuff than I was expecting and besides Rebecca Hall and I guess the kid (She was fine, but that stuff was a tad too sappy for me), all the rest of the human characters grated me or were really bland. Brian Tyree Henry especially was wasted as an annoying comedy character. I'm also okay if all the kids from Stranger Things took like 2 or 3 years off and didn't appear in any movies for a while. There wasn't enough of the humans to ruin the movie, but still enough to annoy me a little.

With that said, I still had a ton of fun and I agree that this was much better than either of the newer Godzilla movies. Not as good as Kong: Skull Island which had the most interesting human characters of any of the new monster movies. The final battle scene was terrific and there were so many great action sequences and a lot of interesting camera work. Adam Wingard did a great job and perfectly applied his style to a much bigger budget compared to his smaller indie horror and action stuff.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I watched this yeterday with my daughter. I was going to watch it Friday, but she wanted to watch, too. She's never seen a Kong or Godzilla movie, but she was excited for this. We both loved it. The fight scenes were fantastic, and I didn't mind the human stuff all that much. The CGI was fantastic. I also loved the little bits of loe the movie showed to the original movies. Kong climbing up a skyscrapper like

Kong climbing the skyscrapper, like the Empire State Building, Monster Zero!, Mecha-Godzilla!

We've been playing a lot of various Mario Bros. games on the Switch since we got it a few weeks ago, and my daughter got a kick out of it when I said it was like Boswer vs Donkey Kong.

Overall, I had so much fun with it and I'll be checking this one out again soon.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn I didn't like this movie much at all. Felt like another algorithmically generated blockbuster. By the climatic noise-fest, we were both playing on our phones.

You could cut out every scene that involves Millie Bobbie Brown or Godzilla without Kong and lose absolutely nothing. Godzilla got the Jason role in this version of Freddy vs. Jason.

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
To me it was fine for what it was but I also agree with the criticisms from @Brocklock and @tekcop . I went in with reservations due to how boring I found the Godzilla movies but I loved Kong. This felt closer to Kong than Godzilla but still a lot of plodding in the Godzilla centric sections. Still not as good as Skull Island but not as much of a chore as the Godzilla films.

A buddy of mine texted glowingly about it the day it came out and was surprised when my reaction was “it was fine”. I didn’t catch the Nintendo references that @Big Beard Booty Daddy referenced so maybe it didn’t get my full attention and I should try again before the 30 days on HBO Max ends.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
To me it was fine for what it was but I also agree with the criticisms from @Brocklock and @tekcop . I went in with reservations due to how boring I found the Godzilla movies but I loved Kong. This felt closer to Kong than Godzilla but still a lot of plodding in the Godzilla centric sections. Still not as good as Skull Island but not as much of a chore as the Godzilla films.

A buddy of mine texted glowingly about it the day it came out and was surprised when my reaction was “it was fine”. I didn’t catch the Nintendo references that @Big Beard Booty Daddy referenced so maybe it didn’t get my full attention and I should try again before the 30 days on HBO Max ends.

It's not really a refence as much as it was a way to get my daughter even more into the movie. Since she's playing a lot of Mario, it was easy for her to identify the characters as ones she already knows. Besides that, part of the plot of the movie
the human taking a special warp to a land of creatures
had me telling her it was like Mario and gang going down the pipes in the game.