Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Gremlins 2 is one of the most subversive studio pictures ever made.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
While I recognize GREMLINS as the superior movie, I freely admit to growing up on GREMLINS 2 as an "everytime it is cable, I put it on" movie. The really quick pace and non-stop stuff going on makes it very easy for repeat viewings.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Back to Gremlins 2, that red head playing footsie under that table turned me on when I was 9.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I always kind of wanted Phoebe Cates to finish the Abe Lincoln speech.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
I always kind of wanted Phoebe Cates to finish the Abe Lincoln speech.

I think we all did, I think we all did.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shit, she still looked awesome in Princess Caraboo, that lousy direct-to-cable flick which was her last film. Damn shame about her retirement to become a schoolteacher; but jesus CHRIST, could you even IMAGINE being one of the little boys in HER class?

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it comes down between her and Jamie Gertz for my ultimate 80s goddess. A shame about her retiring. Doe Kevin Kline have something to do with this?! Damn him !!

Oh and don't forget the criminally underrated Michelle Meyrink. I think looking so much like Phoebe hurt her career. She retired from acting in the late 80s and is involved in some new age church.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Everyone loves Haviland Morris (though I didn't like her butting in on Phoebe Kate's business).

Topps_Gizmo..._Marla%27s_Hero!.jpg

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Laz said:
NoCalMike said:
I always kind of wanted Phobe Cates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrVxbYUX18

You, Judge Reinhold, and everybody else, sir.

Funny thing about that scene, for the longest time as a kid I had only seen the edited version of Fast Times when it would show on your standard basic cable channels so not only did they cut out the tits reveal, but also all the masturbation stuff, including her walking in on him (not to mention a hell of a lot of other stuff from the movie) so when I finally saw it unedited I had no idea what I was missing, going into it I figured there'd just be some cussing, but to my surprise, heaven in the form of Phobe Cates in (and out) of a red bikini top!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
oh man Phoebe and Betsy Russell in the same movie in "Private School" The 80s were full of classic mainstream titty flicks. Russell was only 19 years old in the film. The horseback scene changed my life as a young lad. She still looks fantastic at 49 (and yeah so does Phoebe at 50). The 80s ruled

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah Private School comes on randomly all the time it seems. The 80's teen sex romps were just so much better than the 90's ones.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mike's Fast Times story reminds me I never saw the R-rated version of National Lampoon's Vacation until I was well into my teens, this after having seen it on commercial TV half a dozen times over the years. Quite a surprise to find out Beverly D'Angelo showed her boobs in it.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Incandenza said:
Mike's Fast Times story reminds me I never saw the R-rated version of National Lampoon's Vacation until I was well into my teens, this after having seen it on commercial TV half a dozen times over the years. Quite a surprise to find out Beverly D'Angelo showed her boobs in it.

I was the same with both Fast Time and Vacation. First time I saw Fast Times uncut, it blew my 10 year old mind.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
A gold standard for sequels. Even the not often mentioned stuff is fantastic: The cab driver refusing fare if they aren't going to the airport, the network cooking show with the Gremlins crashing it, and Murray getting attacked just like the first movie but in open broad daylight and nobody bats an eye w/the Gremlin turning into a gargoyle as a bonus.

Genius on levels we probably haven't even thought of yet.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is truly one of my favorite movies of all-time. A top 10. The first one is just okay to me but this...heart eye emoji. I can't even liken it to anything. No other movie takes the elements of a worldwide success and just completely parodies them beyond belief. The most popular parts of the original were the macabre humor and Gizmo. The sequel contains barely any of that. Just slapstick and more gremlins than any child could dream up. Which reminds me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Also, I adore Haviland Morris. Mind blown when teenage me realized she's the hot bitch girlfriend of Jake Ryan in Sixteen Candles.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I seriously love this film. Watching it last night brought home just how much went over my head when I first saw it as a child.

Everyone needs to see this. And the first Gremlins, too, which is good though flawed.
I don't know why in 2013 I said the original is flawed because in 2021 I do not believe that