Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Gremlins 2 is one of the most subversive studio pictures ever made.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ostensibly made to capitalize on the success of the original, it ruthlessly satirizes both Gremlins and pretty much everything audiences expect from sequels. Gizmo, the "star" of Gremlins, gets very little screen time, and the human beings play second fiddle to the gremlins themselves. Outstanding film, and right now my choice for best sequel ever (until I rewatch The Godfather Part II).

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I seriously love this film. Watching it last night brought home just how much went over my head when I first saw it as a child.

Everyone needs to see this. And the first Gremlins, too, which is good though flawed.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Indeed a great flick, and of course John Glover owns the screen everytime he's on.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fire. The untamed element. Oldest of man's mysteries. Giver of warmth. Destroyer of forests. Right now, this thread is on fire.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I love this movie and I love that it utterly shatters any 4th wall between movie/viewers with the Hogan/Wayne(?) cameo in the middle of the picture.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Lincoln's Birthday bit is a perfect little gag and great parody of the dark humor in the Santa Claus scene from the previous film.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Everything about this movie is brilliant, and I say that without a hint of irony. Also, the Leonard Maltin cameo is great.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think this film was my first introduction into the idea of 'meta-humor'

A.BUTCHERS HOUSE OF RIBS

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Great film, looking forward to watching it again. Speaking of John Glover, I finally watched 52 Pick Up. If you haven't watched it, please do so. Glover is amazing in it. Vice Squad and 52 Pick Up would be a great sleaze double feature.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I was happy when they finally released this on blu-ray.

John Glover deserves all the praise in the world for his work in this film, but don't let that overshadow the wonderful Dick Miller (and Christopher Lee, which goes without saying even though I just said it).

"Someone sat on it [the pie]" is such a small line but his delivery makes me laugh every time. Ditto for "Of course you heard it!".

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really pleased they didn't de-grain the blu, too. The blu for the first film looks as if someone went crazy with the sharpening tool in Photoshop.

I got the blus for both as part of a three-pack that includes The Goonies. Did you know I've never seen The Goonies?

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm wondering how I managed to be a child of the 80s without ever seeing it.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
The weird thing is I was completely familiar with the NES / Arcade games. You'd think that and being a child of the 80s, I would have found the movie on TV in my youth... but nope.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I vividly recall seeing the Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Gremlins, Back to the Future, Teen Wolf, Explorers, and Flight of the Navigator all during their theatrical releases, but, for whatever reason, I did not go see The Goonies. I friggin' saw Explorers! Why did I skip The Goonies?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I prefer Monster Squad. I am in the minority.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I was an adult before I saw The Goonies . I was pretty familiar with the game but no one ever made me aware off the movie before the internet.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Any movie that uses Dick Miller in a prominent supporting role is great in my book.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Meta-humor. Chris Glover. Dick Miller. Slayer. Christopher Lee. All great reasons to love Gremlins 2.

But can we really forget this guy?
tumblr_m8iw0mNwyB1rawb5do1_400.png

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I remember seeing this in the theater and the spider gremlin scared the crap out of me. It was just a fun movie. I love the entire cast, as they did a great job getting all these great character actors.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The first was on last night! It's been years since I saw the second. I wish to remedy this. Also, I played the hell out of the Gremlins 2 game for NES, which was crazy difficult. I mean, I guess everything is when you're 10, but this one seemed especially so.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't like the movie as a kid. The satirical humor went over my head I guess. I haven't seen it in years so I would probably love it now.

Surprisingly the movie only pulled in 41 million on a 50 million budget

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Grandpa Fred: [interviewing Brain Gremlin] Creature what is it that you want?
Brain Gremlin: Fred, what we want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what you and your viewers have: civilization.
Grandpa Fred: Yes, but what sort of civilization are you speaking of?
Brain Gremlin: The niceties, Fred. The fine points: diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... that's what we're reaching toward. Oh, we may stumble along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything your society has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, that's what we aspire to; we want to be civilized.
[a Gremlin with a beanie cap acts goofy next to Brain]
Brain Gremlin: You take a look at this fellow here.
[Brain shoots the Gremlin in the head. The Gremlins in the bar laugh. Grandpa Fred and Kujitsu leave]
Brain Gremlin: Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized. Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe we can watch that for free. We want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though we've been turned down in the past.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just watched this again for the first time in probably 20 years. Jesus what a brilliant movie. The fake hipsters nowadays would love it. It definitely took balls to write/make a sequel to the original and decide to make it like THIS though.