Grunge

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Harley Quinn said:
dubq said:
They must have not liked it enough because I've never heard of that term until now. Wassat?

Partly coined by Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, it was supposed to be a essentially the 90's form of a female rock revolution. Mainly it was hard rock music focused more on the female side of life such as rape, sexism, discrimination, gender conformity, stalking, etc.

That sounds..........stupid.

Yes... 'cause women weren't dealing with those issues and male musicians were obviously championing their causes and speaking for them through their music. Especially scenes like heavy metal (See Hair Metal's objectification of women during the 80's) and dance and later hip hop in the early to mid 90's. All pioneers for the female voice.

It was more a "rock revolution" in the sense of trying to get the female perspective on issues such as rape out there as opposed to musically doing something new. It's not exactly like Madonna and Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson were talking about the realistic hardships that women were going through then.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, with one post, Cowboy Numbers just summed up his entire tenure at TSM/The Real TSM.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The above was in no way meant to be a defense of those bands, btw.

Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Harley Quinn said:
dubq said:
They must have not liked it enough because I've never heard of that term until now. Wassat?

Partly coined by Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, it was supposed to be a essentially the 90's form of a female rock revolution. Mainly it was hard rock music focused more on the female side of life such as rape, sexism, discrimination, gender conformity, stalking, etc.

Yes... 'cause women weren't dealing with those issues and male musicians were obviously championing their causes and speaking for them through their music. Especially scenes like heavy metal (See Hair Metal's objectification of women during the 80's) and dance and later hip hop in the early to mid 90's. All pioneers for the female voice.

It was more a "rock revolution" in the sense of trying to get the female perspective on issues such as rape out there as opposed to musically doing something new. It's not exactly like Madonna and Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson were talking about the realistic hardships that women were going through then.

I find it stupid because I find feminism to be incredibly stupid.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
jaxxxson, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the board, or any board for that matter.

Reaction score
Tha Eurythmic King of Nowhere said:
jaxxxson, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the board, or any board for that matter.

I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled of being a pussy.

Let's get back to real grunge.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Cowboy Numbers isn't helping this board's reputation for sexism.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Tha Eurythmic King of Nowhere said:

I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled of being a pussy.

Let's get back to real grunge.

Cowboy Numbers, how is Tha Eurythmic King of Nowhere a pussy for strongly disagreeing with your point?

Also, Cowboy Numbers, please explain why feminism is incredibly stupid. Thanks.

Also, part 2, in response to Edwin's post, I listen to Lithium all the time.

The Coat Is My Father

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Harley Quinn said:
dubq said:

Cowboy Numbers, ladies and gentlemen.

The Coat Is My Father

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently I was beaten to that sentiment by several posters. Still, I think we can all agree Mr. Numbers is a perfectly acceptable target for a pile-on.

The Coat Is My Father

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyways, I don't really care to post about grunge bands, but since the subject of riot grrrl (how many r's is it? I always thought three...) was broached, I consider this Heavens To Betsy song to be one of the best of the nineties.

Heavens to Betsy - Me & Her

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I wish she wasn't dead, because I'd love to see what Cowboy #'s would do if he tried to say feminism was stupid to this bitch...

Wendy_Williams.jpg

Wario Lemieux

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mostly disagree with Soundgarden being filed under grunge, except for Superunknown, which should have just come with a complimentary dime of horse. The funniest thing from the grunge era is that Interscope Records, desperate to find the next Nirvana, ended up giving a million dollar contract and a ridiculous amount of creative control to, drumroll, Helmet.

snuffbox said:
Melvins still got it.

This is true!

Melvins - "The Talking Horse"

Reaction score
Local H is playing 2 shows in early July around Chicago. Looks like I might be able to see em live.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I recently found the documentary "Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story" on iTunes so I've been on a Mother Love Bone kick lately. It's been years since I listened to their stuff, I forgot how awesome it all is.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
CWM and I were talking in chat...

Kurt Cobain was a better singer than Layne Staley. Alice in Chains were great but Jerry Cantrell was the real "singer" of that band and Staley really wasn't any better than Cobain vocally. He might have had more range but I think Kurt placed greater emphasis on word play in the actual songs (take note of his subtle emphasis on certain words) and had a better ability to get his emotion through in more varied song structures.

Compare his vocal style from About a Girl to Smells Like Teen Spirit to Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. All of them were executed much differently from one another. I'm not so sure if Layne Staley had sung those that he'd have been able to get a similar vibe across.

Part of it may simply have been the inclusion of Jerry Cantrell and part of it may have just been the constant subject matter of AIC though.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is this a trolling post? ;) Because it's pretty laughable to infer that Layne Staley was not as effective at getting emotion across in songs or that he sang every song the same way. Mad Season also says hello.

* I don't see the point in even trying to compare the two on an "emotion" level. There is no "better" aspect for either guy, IMO, as both had/have pretty iconic styles/voices to their singing. You're talking about two completely different styles (no, you can't just call them both "grunge" and call it a day), a set of completely different songs, and experiences.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Did a quickie article on the grunge movement and a little bit of the post-grunge as well.

It'd be interesting to see how many bands from 1993-1997 were given the 'grunge'/'post grunge' label too. I've seen Alanis thrown into that group for Jagged Little Pill but I am just not seeing it outside of her "angsty" (and really they were more rage fueled than woe is me) lyrical content.

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, what a time to bump this thread...the first page is a sterling example of just how shitty Cowboy Nos. could be.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The past few months have seen releases from Nirvana, Pearl Jam ad STP. Earlier this year Alice in Chains released a new album. It's like 1993 all over again without MTV airing Liquid Television.