Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Guitar Hero: Metallica

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
God yes.

We don't get it over here until May 5!

What's the General opinion of it so far?

jwest27

Active Poster
Reaction score
I have it. It's pretty much what I hoped it would be. I've only played guitar and bass so I don't know how the other instruments are, but it's just incredibly fun. I wish they had put Trapped Under Ice in there since I don't have World Tour, but oh well.

Also, Fight Fire With Fire is goddamned HARD. The version of Ace of Spades seems a lot harder than the Rock Band 2 version, too.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Small background for me on the 2 topics.

Metallica: I'm one of those Load & Reload, Garage Days etc. fans. I like the old stuff too though!
GH/Rock Band: Harmonix fanboy pretty much through and through. I still pick up the GH games though and even grabbed Rock Revolution for 10 bucks because.... I guess I'm a plastic guitar addict. Can five star stuff like Green Grass and High Tides on expert and have pretty much every achievement guitar related on the 360 games (kick the bucket, etc.)

It's got to be said, if you've seen Some Kind of Monster or read the recent interviews with Lars you got to have at least a tiny niggling voice in your head when looking at this title. Metallica has been struggling over the last few years to gain the interest of today's youth. They got into Rock Band 1 (Sandman) after being snubbed in Guitar Hero 1 + 2 and then put out some DLC (Ride the Lightening, Blackened, ...and Justice for All) and followed up with GH3 (One) and RB2 (Battery.) At this point some shenanigans go down as a few songs are announced in print mags (Fuel being one I remember off the top of my head) for RB2 but we never see them materialize and Death Magnetic comes out as a GH exclusive DLC. With all that being said I just have a pinch of conscience when I look at GH:Metallica.

As a bit of a counterweight to that negativity they are doing some keen stuff in GHM. Introducing a double bass kick pedal to the market, yay! Customized make-your-own-tracks music maker for Metallica and metal style sound is cool too. Lots of custom animations captured for their likenesses in game should be fun to watch. Also neat that they allowed in some other bands ala GH: Aerosmith.

I have a feeling GH:M will be very tiring to play on guitar :D

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Has anybody played guitar on medium?

What's the general difference in difficulty from WT to Metallica?

I remember GH3 was a lot harder on medium than WT was on medium.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Picked it up yesterday and I'm about to chuck it in, I'll give a few songs a playthrough on medium but I'll probably stick to Hard.
I play expert on Rockband 2 but I don't want to get worn out too much with all the fast metal songs. Yes I want to play it for fun (aka I'm a puss) not to break my fingers. :p

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It amazes me how people can play on expert level.

Fuck my fat fingers.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
Just started playing Guitar Hero about a month ago. I can get by with some of the Black Album songs on hard, but some of the speed metal songs I can't even do on medium.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Expert is NOT for everyone.
I've customized the Rockband 2 Fender with a new strummer using cherry switches rather than the "hair" trigger it had before.
I'm pretty hardcore about these games, for an old man. ;)

So I just played through a big chunk of the game on Hard. Nothing jumped out at me till Master of Puppets which had a lot of very odd notes that were NOT hammers and would kind of trick me. Was a struggle to 5 star it. I went back and tried it on Medium and it was easier but still very strummy. Felt like they did a good job of keeping you entertained and feeling like you are really playing the song on Medium but I think that it is likely closer to the GH3 difficulty rather than the GH:WT difficulty.

I think, owing to the nature of the music being played it's just plain hard.

Other things I noticed. Hammers are really picky when they are far apart but the same sloppiness is allowed (as in GH3 and especially GH:WT) when they are really tight/fast. Due to this window changing size so much I found myself regressing to when I used to strum everything including HOPO's.

"Story" for single player is at least slightly more substantive than GH:WT. You start as metallica with For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Unforgiven, then a cartoon about "Metallica JR" your band with a front man you pick or design (Lars Umlaut woo) that wants to open for Metallica. You go to an open audition with Metallica but the devil guy from GH3 beat you there and has signed up a sort of 80's hard band but the power of your rock wins James Hetfield over and he gives you the devil horns for a thumbs up. Later the devil returns and tries to force his way back in with his contract from earlier, fortunately James has a picture of him crossing his fingers behind his back while signing... Pretty good stuff, not quite the feast that was GH3 but more than the famine that was GH:WT.

Progressing through the story/setlist is really easy as you basically have to get 10 stars to open a tier and each tier is chock full of Metallica and Guests. You can even sit in the early tier and play them all through to unlock later tiers. Makes it really easy to plow through to deep tiers.

When you beat a song you can get extras about it. Metallifacts, where the game plays itself and little pop up facts appear. Lyrics and sometimes videos and such too. So far I've unlocked Lemmy from Motorhead and one of the rockers from GH:WT.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Apparently I was only about 2 songs from the final tier so I knocked that out.

Final tier is one song, The Thing That Should Not Be. Was very easy IMO. Battery or Pastor of Muppets are much harder.

Neat venue though.

Game is a bit short IMO, not aided by the fact that you can skip a lot of songs.
I'm disappointed by lack of songs from Garage Inc. cover disc. I have a bootleg GH2 for PS2 with Whiskey in the Jar and it is a blast.

Any Metallica super fans out there want to chime in on this? I'm interested if it "satisfies." :)

Reaction score
Got the demo and am loving it. I just murdered Seek and Destroy...

ouwdas.jpg

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I've been playing it a month now on PS2 (I'm poor) and I LOVE it.