Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Guns N Roses (Including former members)

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Sincere Velcro said:
Precious Roy said:
This is one of the most offensive things I have ever read
You're clearly not a voracious reader. It's hair metal, Roy.

One man's hair metal is another man's whatever bullshit you listen to

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I'm not here to take up arms for GNR or anything, but to repeat a point I've made before

Sincere Velcro said:
It's hair metal

No. No no no no no

No

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
AxlRoseTeasedHair.jpg

I suppose Enuff Znuff and Trixter weren't hair metal either.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Yes, Axl had that wild hair for a time. Good argument. Never mind that Slash looked like he'd be more at home in a thrash band, and Izzy didn't even have a "metal" look in the first place, if you want to argue the fashion side

To me, GNR is in a group of bands (Skid Row is another notable example) that happened to break out at the same time hair metal was big and so they get lumped together despite being stylistically different. Songs like "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O Mine" were not similar to the Warrants, Poisons, Cinderellas and other HM bands with which they shared airtime on MTV in the late 80's... I was even able to recognize that at the age of nine, ffs.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Yeah, I think most people who have seen my posts for a while know I'm just joking about all this. GNR threads at the old board were always very polarizing. I figured it would be fun to take the other side for once. I have even seen the new GNR in concert and it ruled so hard, man.

I'm going to post some rad vids of Axl either punching dudes or yelling at fans, or both:

Rocket Queen/ St. Louis Incident

axl rose shouts at a fan

Axl Rose fights at LAX

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Slayer said:
To me, GNR is in a group of bands (Skid Row is another notable example) that happened to break out at the same time hair metal was big and so they get lumped together despite being stylistically different.

I agree that Skid Row is harder than Poison or Warrant but it's not that unfair to lump their early work into the hair metal genre. The first song on their debut album is SHE'S GOT THE BIG GUNS, AIMED STRAIGHT AT MY HEART, BANG BANG SHOOTING LIKE A FIRING SQUAD. But Slave To The Grind definitely isn't hair metal.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
November Rain is the alpha and omega of power ballads. It features one of my favorite build-ups of all time. The slow drums and distorted guitar about 7 minutes in, all build to one of the most powerful guirtar solos I've ever heard. It still gives me chills just to hear that single part of the song, and Axl's wailing towards the end seals it. Classic.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
BUTT said:
Yeah, I think most people who have seen my posts for a while know I'm just joking about all this. GNR threads at the old board were always very polarizing. I figured it would be fun to take the other side for once. I have even seen the new GNR in concert and it ruled so hard, man.

Aw I was hoping you'd keep it up for a little while longer. That second post was a pretty good czech pastiche.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw them play in Toronto when Buckethead was still in the band. That show fucking rocked. Of course Axl went crazy and the tour was canceled a couple of shows later. And then Chinese Democracy came out...7 years later.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Call Me Mr. Flintstone said:
BUTT said:

Aw I was hoping you'd keep it up for a little while longer. That second post was a pretty good czech pastiche.

It wasn't entirely inspired by Czech, as he's one of many who put up opposition in the old GNR threads. I was running out of material after five posts, but my next one, had Lushus not outed me, would have been totally sonning the songs on the most recent GNR album like so:

Chinese Democracy? More like Chinese disappointment! Shackler's Revenge? Should that be SHAQ-ler's, and is that the song he raps on? Better? More like Worse! Street of Dreams? It's a nightmare to me! If The World? If the world was smart, they wouldn't have bought 50 million Guns N' Roses CDs! There Was A Time? Yeah, there was a time when Guns N' Roses sold records, but it's not anymore! Catcher in the Rye? Axl's career is as dead as J.D. Salinger! Scraped? You've really scraped the bottom of the barrel if you buy Chinese Democracy! Riad n' the Bedouins? More like BAD-ouins! Sorry? I'm sorry this album ever got made! I.R.S.? Does that stand for "I really suck," Axl? Madagascar? Yeah I bet Axl is MAD that he can't afford GAS for his CAR. This I Love? More like this I hate! Prostitute? That's right Axl, you are one, suck a dick ho.

bps21 said:
I saw them play in Toronto when Buckethead was still in the band. That show fucking rocked. Of course Axl went crazy and the tour was canceled a couple of shows later. And then Chinese Democracy came out...7 years later.

I wanted to see them with Buckethead, but my MOM wouldn't let me. :lol: It's OK though, I saw them a few years later with Ron Thal, people. RON. FUCKING. THAL.

JAxlMorrison

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
Gotta give us more details than that man. Also welcome back.

Thank you. Lookin forward to posting the update on my life that I know so many are clamoring for, lol.

Ok, so, I went to see GNR in the House Of Blue in AC back in February on their Up Close & Personal Tour. Dynamite place to see a concert, I was maybe 4-5 rows from the stage, and the set lists was incredible. I think they played from like 12 - 3:15. I was there with my current girlfriend. So, as we are walking out, two people with backstage pass/staff things (can't think of the name) around their necks wave her and I over, and next thing I know, we are in the Foundation Room for some sort of GNR afterparty. Her and I are pretty blitzed, and spend most of our time sitting on various couches, and scoping the scene. I see the drummer, guitar player DJ Ashba, Tommy Stinson, and I think Richard Fortus was there as well, along with various hanger on, groupie types, etc. The gf is extremely tired, but I know, due to the late hour, that Axl will stroll in at some point.

Around 4:30, there he is. As soon as he appears, there's 15-20 assholes in his face with cell phone camera, etc. to which he looks utterly horrified. He is rushed to a back room. I figure, I am not getting this opportunity again. I see security blocking the entry, but there is another door that leads out to a walkway where people are smoking. If you went out the other doorway, you could easily reenter through this other doorway behind the security's back. So I of course, told my gf to get out a cigarette and did so.

We walk in, and in the room to the left of me is DJ Ashba, with a ton of incense burning, various fans, etc. In the room to the right of me, it just appeared to be another gathering of people, so her and I walked in, and there was Axl on the couch. I just hung out against the wall, drink in hand, and listened as he answered questions, told stories, jokes, etc. Nothing earth shattering. I told him the show was excellent when there was a pause, and he said thank you very much. Then all of the sudden, the music playing in the room stopped. Axl seemed to get irritated, asking where the music was. His handler, or whoever, started asking people if they had an Ipod he could hook up, but with that, I heard Axl say "This is fucking lame," and he stood up, walked directly by her and I, and was on his way, lol. He never returned.

I know it's not much of a story, but it was fun for me, and obviously a cool moment in my nerdy world, to get that close and exchange a sentence with one of my heroes.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Fuck yeah finally another poster who appreciates Chinese Democracy for the ham jam that it is. This folder finally has the chance to become good again for the first time.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I revisited that album recently. I like it just fine. If it had just come out in a timely manner like a regular record...I dare say it was a very fine album.

JAxlMorrison

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still love the album. Listen to it nearly everytime I drive and make sure to play a track or two anytime I'm in a pub...which isn't that often anymore.

It's funny, for all the shit the album gets, the live shows I went to in 2011 and 2012 had a lot of people singing along to songs like "Better" and "This I Love." I think it was more well received than people really know.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Well, you were at a Guns N' Roses concert and that would be the audience that would receive those songs well, but at the show I went to last year, the crowd figuratively sat on their hands for the Chinese Democracy songs, except the title track, which got the benefit of the doubt because it was the opener.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Regular themed bps21 said:
I revisited that album recently. I like it just fine. If it had just come out in a timely manner like a regular record...I dare say it was a very fine album.

That was the problem with the album. It's a really solid album, but with the long delay and all the hype it had to be the next coming of the one of the greatest albums ever for it to feel like it was worth the wait.

Reaction score
Chinese Democracy is pretty damn good. Even the rough cuts that came out before the actual album were damn good as well.

JAxlMorrison

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BUTT said:
Well, you were at a Guns N' Roses concert and that would be the audience that would receive those songs well, but at the show I went to last year, the crowd figuratively sat on their hands for the Chinese Democracy songs, except the title track, which got the benefit of the doubt because it was the opener.

That's the thing, it was several different shows. But hell, that may just be the way I choose to remember them...

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
JAxl, let's not go overboard with the GNR stuff here. I know you have three and half years to make up for but nobody even posts in this folder anymore so it'll stand out even more and lead to renewed hostility on TSM towards this band, which I will feel compelled to reply to, which if all goes as it did on the old board will create bitter feelings in a few posters who feel that my defense of a band I like was in fact an attack on them and their musical tastes.

That said, did they need to add another Who cover to their shows? The one I went to last year had Tommy Stinson singing My Generation, immediately followed by Dizzy playing a solo piano version of Baba O'Riley. This is overkill. We don't need any more Who covers period, let alone by a band that already performs two.

JAxlMorrison

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BUTT said:
JAxl, let's not go overboard with the GNR stuff here. I know you have three and half years to make up for but nobody even posts in this folder anymore so it'll stand out even more and lead to renewed hostility on TSM towards this band, which I will feel compelled to reply to, which if all goes as it did on the old board will create bitter feelings in a few posters who feel that my defense of a band I like was in fact an attack on them and their musical tastes.

That said, did they need to add another Who cover to their shows? The one I went to last year had Tommy Stinson singing My Generation, immediately followed by Dizzy playing a solo piano version of Baba O'Riley. This is overkill. We don't need any more Who covers period, let alone by a band that already performs two.

Haha np. Just thought this would be of some interest. There's not much to talk about re: the band anyways. Looks like they'll continue to tour. Releasing more music doesn't seem to be too high of a priority.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Chinese Democracy is crazy underrated. I love that album. It seems like most hardcore GnR fans dig it, while your average rock listener who likes the hit songs thinks it's the punchline to a joke