Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Hair Metal

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
I'd argue that Skid Row were not exactly a hair metal band, like Whitesnake and GnR, though they did have some hair metal-esque songs to sell their album(s)

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Guns N Roses isn't hair metal either though.
That was his point. Whitesnake and GNR used the hair metal image and had enough similarities to be seen as hair bands and, thus, sell records, but their music, overall, was straightforward hard rock.

Motley Crue is the only legitimate hair band I can stomach for more than a song or two (especially if we're discounting Skid Row).
motley crue - shout at the devil

Mötley Crüe - Dr. Feelgood

Mötley Crüe - Looks That Kill (Official Music Video)

Laz

Reaction score
Movies from the 80's were hilarious in their depiction of metalheads. Their record collection would be filled with Venom, Megadeth, and a whole slew of acts that were known but not too mainstream, and then they'd be all about the cheesy hair bands and the stuff they played. Here's a lost gem from 80's supernatural horror Trick or Treat (where the demonic spirit of recently deceased rock star Sammi Curr (based off of Blackie Lawless from WASP, comes back from beyond to wreak havoc via an unreleased demo tape).

Fastway - Trick or Treat

Laz

Reaction score
Totally not hair metal. Accept's just plain old awesome.

Laz

Reaction score
I'd say Accept were easily NWOBHM...but they're German...soooo...First Wave of German Heavy Metal?

Laz

Reaction score
Agent of Oblivion said:
I'd say the entre NWOBHM falls easily under the buttrock umbrella
photobucket-7291-1338046582556.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BUTT might (or might not) be interested to hear that recently departed Skid Row frontman Tony Harnell is a regular at the bar/restaurant my brother works at and sent out the tweet that he was quitting the band while there.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Listening to Europe's The Final Countdown all the way through for the first time since I was 15 or so and I forgot how many absolute jams there are on here. This record is the high watermark for synth-heavy hair metal. NINJA SURVIVE

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
The other day it hit me that Harry Styles had the last big hair band style hit and I don't know how I feel about it...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weird update: Nita Strauss left Alice Cooper's band to tour with Demi Lovato.

I get that Demi Lovato is probably a bigger touring draw than Coop (boomer weeping) and is trying to establish rock cred but still seems like a odd career move.