Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Headphones

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody else use headphones?

Currently getting new ones as my old Plantronics ones are well... old.

Gonna be picking up these babies for $59.99 on sale from $199.95!

71M8Qj6iUiL._SL1500_.jpg

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I spend most of my days with headphones on.

I wear over the ear ones when I'm at home:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AUGV98/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're super comfortable. Probably the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had. They don't have the best bass, but since I don't listen to music that much, it's not a big deal. The only real problem I have with them is that unlike a lot of other over the hear headphones, the bands too small to let you hang them around your neck when you're not wearing them.

I wear these when I'm out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IG66VS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best ear buds I've ever owned. I bought 2 pair for 15 bucks a couple of years ago. They're better than the $90 pair I owned a before that.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
People make fun of Beats all the time but I bought a pair back in 2009 before they really blew up and they still look/work like they are brand new. I'm not a huge audiophile or anything so they serve the purpose. I was burning through the cheap iPhone headphones 2/3 pairs a year.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I use these..

sony-12q2bts-eseries14-boom-headphones-sm.jpg

$100. Better than the Beats pair I used to have. Also amazing in the winter time as they are pretty damn good earmuffs :)

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got Monoprice #8323 a few months ago from Amazon.ca. They're better than the pack-in earbuds I've traditionally used, of course. Not super comfortable on my big head, but I don't wear them for hours or anything. The only thing I'd have to compare with would be Logitech X-540 5.1 computer speakers. I think I prefer the headphones, though obviously I'm losing the surround sound there.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2
http://www.amazon.ca/Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Over-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Mik said:
People make fun of Beats all the time but I bought a pair back in 2009 before they really blew up and they still look/work like they are brand new. I'm not a huge audiophile or anything so they serve the purpose. I was burning through the cheap iPhone headphones 2/3 pairs a year.

People make fun of Beats because the sound is pretty terrible for the price you pay. Aren't Beats over the ear headphones like, 200 dollars? That's an absurd price for what you actually get.

I use these. Really really solid value.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:
Mik said:

People make fun of Beats because the sound is pretty terrible for the price you pay. Aren't Beats over the ear headphones like, 200 dollars? That's an absurd price for what you actually get.
Some are even more. My girlfriends brother paid something like $330 for the "studio" ones - which are no better than the standard $200 model.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
I got a pair of these for "Black Friday Christmas," i.e. my mom just buying them instead of waiting.
http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-WI8500-EVAC-Headphone-Black/dp/B007BPR4Y2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386141994&sr=8-3&keywords=Wicked+Headphones

They're not the best but they're pretty good.

The ear buds I swear by are the JVC Marshmallows which have excellent bass response but very affordable...
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX30B-Headphone-Marshmallow-Black/dp/B005FDOG6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386142245&sr=8-2&keywords=JVC+Marshmallow

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked these up in Red for $73.14 (on sale from $259.00 and cheaper by at least $20 vs. other colors): http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438307007&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+on-ear

Unfortunately one of the plastic parts on the left side of my SOUL ones snapped when I tried to expand it a bit to fit over my head as usual. These seem to be wider and more flexible as a result, which is good as the SOUL ones were also rather tight at times.

41I5MIh-E9L._SY450_.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hooooly crap the sound upgrade on these headphones! Insane sound detail and worth way more than the $73 paid. Also like that they have a metal band so they should hold up much better.

Total recommendation to buy if you're looking for something new.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I thought I had posted in here, but I hadn't. Sennheiser's probably one of the best headphones I had ever purchased. The quality you get from them is ridiculous. Especially if you buy it on sale.

Holy fuck HQ. You did get the 260 ones that I wanted?! Damn, I thought by the picture those were the ones I was looking at recently. :( I'm jealous.

And before you say "but Flik, you are a poor bastard who only is able to afford food once a day", doesn't mean I can't look and think about when I make money!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked up these headphones as I've had my ones above for almost 5 years now. Still sound great although they're a tight fit at times so my ears hurt after several hours straight of using them. Opted for the Sony brand in part due to the sound quality.

Sony MDRX10/RED Simon Cowell X Headphones with 50mm Diaphragms for $124.94
81vrDD8rrOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:
Mik said:

I use these. Really really solid value.

Popping in here to say that I've been using those headphones I linked there for over six years now. Think I've had three pairs in that time. They're the best.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The ones I had picked up almost 2 years ago finally went (the right white/red part cracked on me) so I picked up the following for just $9.99. I just need something to get through 1-2 years so rather than spending up as much as I did two years ago, I just opted for these based on the 70,000+ reviews. I can still get by with the Sennheiser for now but the ear coverings are wicked small and the fit is still pretty tight. Luckily the below should be arriving on Monday.

Sony ZX Series Wired On-Ear Headphones, Black MDR-ZX110​

71ZC0hq5mGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got a pair of Beats over ears at work for free in a raffle, but the battery life felt kinda pathetic and they weren't super comfortable so I hardly ever used them. I ended up with a pair of Walmart Blackwebs that work great and weren't at all expensive.

I hated in-ear models for a long time because I never thought they felt right, but I did try AirPods once they came down in price and they worked pretty good, but again the battery life wasn't fantastic. Sooooo, I got a pair of Beats Pro wireless in-ears that actually have the hook over the ear and then I purchased after-market foam tips so now I get pretty amazing battery life, good comfort, and still all of the functionality of the old AirPods. I kinda wish they had noise cancelation or Apple's transparency features, but I don't listen to audio at any kind of volume where I don't hear the outside world at least a little bit, so it's not a problem.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I really like earbuds. I bought my last wired pair 2 years ago and they died back in March so I made the leap to wireless buds and have loved them ever since. I got Ankor Soundcore 2. They were about $80.

Last edited: