Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Heeeeeeurgghhhh: The Bob Dylan Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dipping my toes back into my Dylan fandom phase. Haven't listened to new album but I've heard it's his best in decades. Which I think is something that has been said about every non-covers Dylan studio album ( Christmas in the Heart FTW) since Time Out of Mind. I was briefly obsessed with Dylan in the mid '00s, seeing him everytime he came to Maine which is way more frequently than you'd expect for one of the GOAT singer-songwriters.

ITT I'll share random thoughts on Poet Laureate of Rock N Roll. Consider this the pretentious version of the KISS thread.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
man I feel like the last time I brought up Dylan in the music folder, Cowboy Numbers and Frogg Neal argued whether the GNR or Dylan version was better. Have we become that, @The Art of Postin' ?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Blood On The Tracks is one of my all time favorite albums. I've been listening to a lot of Dylan lately, and keep finding more and more. Surprised I haven't seen more "Hurricane" lately to be honest.

That said, while I love Dylan, he was also the very worst concert I ever went to. Didn't even play guitar, just hung out at the keyboard, playing stuff from his new album at the time.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
going to a dylan concert is a total crapshoot because theres no telling waht he will do. my brother has to been to 3 or 4 and they were all over the place

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See my Dylan phase was between '06 and '09 and it was all during his keyboard phase but two of the shows were great (and I don't remember any being bad---Dylan seems to really enjoy being in Maine, I guess). One show on Modern Times tour in '06 with The Raconteurs opening that is still probably a Top 5 concert.

I should've spent more time trying to hang out with people my own age instead of seeing an old Jew in a cowboy suit barking at a keyboard.

Here is a great '00s Dylan bootleg where he randomly invited a saxophone player he met at a dinner party from the night before to sit in.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It was so defeating. I'm seeing Bob fucking Dylan...and he just stays at the keyboard, wearing sunglasses, ignoring the crowd except for the occasional thank you. Completely changed how I went to shows after seeing Bob phone it in so hard. The merch was all from his 1991 tour, too, which had to be a joke I didn't get.

But I can say I saw Bob Dylan, one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Even if he just stretched out his Love And Theft album for most of the show and hated every second of being there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Kamala, you know he became born again in the early 80s, yes? There's gospel records. But I think he's feeling much better now.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
i'm a dylan fan (nowhere near as big as my brother so I skipped on the concerts which I'm glad based on his experiences). Like most people I prefer him before he went electric but there is still good stuff after. I can't really pick out much that he's done in the last few decades that I love although I remember him having a couple songs off recent albums I liked.

Trying to go over all his bootleg/live albums for tracks and comparing them like some people do is such a mammoth task. The only band I've really done that with at all is Nirvana and not really much with that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Like most people I prefer him before he went electric but there is still good stuff after.
Most people? I didn't know @cobainwasmurdered was a member of the Silent Generation. I thought consensus of anyone under the age of 70 that best Dylan was either Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks. My favorite era is the mid '70s, face paint wearing, pimp hat sporting, Rolling Thunder Revue era Dylan.

Which reminds me I haven't watched the gazillion hour Scorsese documentary on the Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix. '00s Connor would be incredlous over that.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Blood On The Tracks is so fucking good. Maybe it's my thought process these days but it's a really emotional record in the best possible way. "Tangled Up In Blue" is my favorite Dylan track, but "Idiot Wind," "If You See Her, Say Hello," and "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack Of Hearts" are great as well.

The ultimate test of classic Dylan is getting as hazy as one can on certain substances and listening to "Ballad Of A Thin Man" on some good headphones. Worth every second.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I never saw Dylan live. Closest I got was seeing the Wallflowers open for the Counting Crows a few years ago. At least I can say that I saw one of the Dylan offspring perform live, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
(sees Bob Dylan trending on Twitter)
Me: oh no!
(clicks on the hashtag and sees it's cause Timothee Chalamet was tweeting about him)
Me: Where's ma cane?

Alfie

Alfie
Reaction score
I thought consensus of anyone under the age of 70 that best Dylan was either Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks.

Highway 61 Revisited as well. That's probably his best album if we're being objective, definitely has the best sound, but Nashville Skyline is the only one I ever want to listen to now. So lovely and warm, even his voice is more welcoming.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Due to health reasons, Dylan played guitar live very rarely in the last 20+ years and hasn't at all in almost a decade.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Every time I saw Dylan in the mid '00s, it was during his jabbing at his circus organ-esque keyboard phase.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Bob's posse is funnier that the alternate ending to 500 Days Of Summer, but not by much.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess Bob heard Morrissey was popular amongst Latinos and wanted to try his luck with the demographic?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bob's got natural swag. But holy shit at the notion of Bob and Moz even interacting because they would despise each other.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

is doing a GREAT series on 45th Anniversay of the Rolling Thunder Revue, breaking down each stop and interviewing various band members and peripheral members of the entourage. Its a reminder that I still SOMEHOW haven't watched the Scorsese Netflix doc. Fact that it was partly fictional and prominently featured Sharon Stone seemed like a detriment but now I see it has Michael Murphy reprising the role of Jack Tanner and it's 2 and 1/2 hours not 3 and 1/2 hours like I thought means I will watch this at some point this weekend.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUGGGGHHH (ecstatic tone)

I hope this isn't a sign that he's thinking of hanging up the harmonica. Love to see him one last time.