Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Help Us Get Into XX Genre

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
As chat was going on last night, with special guest Kamala(!), several of us were discussing Emo and Nu-Metal with a few mentions of how TSM actually aided in our musical backgrounds and expanded diversity. So I thought it would be prudent to start this thread up so if anybody wants to dig deeper into a genre, other posters can help steer them into a certain direction or name drop bands that are worth seeking out.

I'll kick it off by asking for help in getting into the New Wave of British Heavy Metal genre. I know it mainly started in the late 1970s/early 1980s and I'm aware of the bigger bands e.g. Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motorhead but what other bands and/or albums should I be checking out?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Saxon, Budgie, and Diamond Head are the NWOBHM bands I always hear people rave about after the top tier (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead) discussions move on. I'm not particularly keen on it myself, outside of Maiden/Motorhead, but I have really enjoyed every Diamond Head tune I've listened to.

You'll know them best for Metallica covering "Am I Evil?," "Helpless," and "It's Electric." A few songs in and you'll realize that Metallica's early days were basically "let's play Diamond Head songs but faster and more technical." James Hetfield has, on several occasions, referred to Diamond Head as his favorite band.

I'm trying to think of musical styles I'm not into that I really haven't given a chance or a deep dive at one point or another, and I keep coming back to only one style. BRITPOP. Rec me something other than Oasis.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Pulp - Different Class is the absolute GOAT britpop album, start with that. If you don’t like it, then you won’t like Britpop.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
I'm trying to think of musical styles I'm not into that I really haven't given a chance or a deep dive at one point or another, and I keep coming back to only one style. BRITPOP. Rec me something other than Oasis.

What YPOV said. The other "icon" of Britpop in that time was of course Blur. They are a bit more varied with their albums Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife being classic must listens in the genre.

The Stone Roses and their self-titled album is widely regarded as kind of the lighting of the Britpop fuse. Other notable bands include Suede (who I could never really get into tbh), Elastica (fantastic band, love them), and Supergrass (another band I'm pretty keen on).

In terms of quick tracks which might hew up your alley a bit as a starter course: Blur - Advert, Elastica - Stutter, Supergrass - Lenny, and Suede - The Drowners / Suede - Metal Mickey.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Manic Street Preachers get called Britpop quite often and I think "The Holy Bible" is one of my favorite 90's albums so I would give that a spin as well. I'm not a big britpop guy myself, but that album borrows from some other genres and is really dark so I found it appealed more to my taste than Blur or Oasis or Supergrass and so on.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Two I recommend as far as New Wave of British Heavy Metal are Angel Witch and Satan, particularly the self titled AW album and Satan's "Court in the Act" (which unfortunately isn't available on any streaming apps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBVzujDxzQ

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz would probably like Suede the "most." "Animal Nitrate," "We Are the Pigs," "Stay Together;" classics.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been interesting listening to the British Heavy Metal and seeing the clear influence on the Thrash scene to follow. I've liked Diamond Head, Saxon, and Angel Witch. Tried the Satan album and I couldn't really get into it outside of a song or two.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
AA484 said:
Laz would probably like Suede the "most." "Animal Nitrate," "We Are the Pigs," "Stay Together;" classics.
Aye. Really digging them. Feels like a blend of Bowie and the Pixies, at least to me.

Harley Quinn said:
It's been interesting listening to the British Heavy Metal and seeing the clear influence on the Thrash scene to follow. I've liked Diamond Head, Saxon, and Angel Witch. Tried the Satan album and I couldn't really get into it outside of a song or two.
Oh hell yeah, it did. Thrash was basically a bunch of young American kids learning Priest and Mercyful Fate tunes, who then did coke and heard a few Exploited tunes.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After revisiting Lightning to the Nations, early Metallica really was just them playing Diamond Head songs really fast.