Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

HEY YO TSM! WE DID IT! IT'S A STALLONE THREAD

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
This is not a hot take.
I watched Rocky 1 for 1st time in probably a decade.
I was surprised by how little the movie is actually about boxing and how it was actually about 2 damaged people who use one another for support in order to improve their lives and realize their potential. Even the training montage was perfunctory.
Creed was basically on screen long enough to establish he was rich and focused on his brand more than worrying about some tomato can he was going to pound.
Rocky's seduction scene felt creepier than intended, especially when his apartment was so messy and Adrian was quietly classy.
I'm not sure how the 1st draft of the script with Rocky throwing the fight and buying a pet store for Adrian would have worked.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
So I rented Rocky 4: recut with my buddies. All spoilers here after:

- They edited out the explosive boxing gloves!!! Minus 5 stars.
- Opening is now a long Rocky 3 montage. Apollo is the main character of the first Rocky 4 act (Can't recall if he was originally) and Drago is intro'd on TV before we ever see Rocky.
- It feels like they cut some meat out of the first arch, as the Creed/Drago fight feels like it comes much faster than I recall.
- I thought they edited out James Brown for a moment as it seems like they linger on Drago in a shadowy ring for a long time as a WCW-like edit of James Brown's song beat plays softly. Again, might be how the original was, but it felt off.
- We get an extra scene of Adrian and Rocky in the kitchen as Adrian is dead set against Apollo fighting the big ape.
- I read they gave Apollo more of a fighting chance in this edit, but he still pretty much get mauled.
- The "Drago gets more backstory to flesh out his character" thing I read about was litterally one sentence at a presser, and then he sips water.
- They definitely redid the montages. I'm pretty sure both Rocky driving around town and Rocky/Drago training comparisons had added stuff and it threw me off as I've watched those on youtube a thousand times. (And did a Brody/Derek training video to parody it)
- We get an extra 3 min scene where Rocky has to argue with boxing suits who ban him from fighting a rookie. This was covered in the original by simply throwing a newspaper headline at us.
- Rocky is knocked down and has new inter dialogue added telling himself to get up.
- A crooked Russian official tries to call the fight off after round 14 in a new scene.
- Rocky adds a line in his final speech about how his friend Apollo died which was suppose to tie into Stallone making this version more about Rocky and Apollo's bromance and not "Merica vs USSR.

As a frequent Rocky 4 viewer, this felt off. The first segment felt like it was missing....something.... and Stallone cut out light hearted moments that I didn't catch off hand (other than no robot). It really didn't seem like 42 mins of new stuff to me.
So on the Meltz scale Rocky 4: 15 out of 10 stars.
Recut: 10/10 Stallone *heart emoji*

According to the trivia mentioned during the Cinephobe podcast, there was allegedly a draft of the movie where Mr. T would have reprised his role as James "Clubber" Lang. In it, Lang would have been a born-again Christian, gone back to using his given name, and would have been the color commentator for the Balboa/Drago fight. No version of this drat was actual filmed, AFAIK.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
sylvester-stallone-oh-god.gif

I don't think Sly's been this upset since he read the reviews for Driven.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
If there’s going to be a whole Rocky cinematic universe then I want Lang, a comedy-drama examining the strained relationship between the Clubber and his flamboyant they/them son. Directed by Barry Jenkins.

Staff member
Reaction score
If there’s going to be a whole Rocky cinematic universe then I want Lang, a comedy-drama examining the strained relationship between the Clubber and his flamboyant they/them son. Directed by Barry Jenkins.

Mr. T and Lil Nas X with uncle Billy Porter let's goooooooooooo

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
During the holidays, did a binge on the new Stallone drama on Paramount Plus, Tulsa King. I have to admit this was probably some of the more entertaining stuff Sly's done since the Rocky series as well as the Expendables (I know, low bar). I think it already got greenlit for a second season as well. Easy to binge through, I think it was seven episodes only.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Stallone actually made a vague attempt to explain the Three Seashells process in one of those 10+ part fan submitted Q&As he did with AICN in the mid-late '00s. IIRC, basically two of the shells you put together for scooping and the third one was for scraping.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2024/04/tulsa-...sed-criticizing-background-actors-1235878860/
Stallone and an unnamed director were accused of calling some of the extras “ugly,” “tub of lard” and “fat guy with cane.” The recipient of the latter comment apparently said later that it “hurt his soul” to hear himself described that way on set.

Allegedly, Stallone then suggested that production bring in “pretty young girls to be around me,” instead.

I'm laughing a lot hearing "Tub of Lard" and "fat guy with cane" with the Sly voice, but this is not surprising at all. Team Arnold 4 Life.

Last edited: