Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

HEY YO TSM! WE DID IT! IT'S A STALLONE THREAD

Reaction score
My mom is a fan of Charles Bronson's style in those movie. It's a different type of charisma.

What do you guys think about Nighthawks? I think that movie is severely underrated because Stallone had a more nuanced character. Also, Billy Dee Williams!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched it about a year ago. It was solid, but a taken a little too seriously for my tastes. Stallone is more in acting mode though, Billy Dee is fun, and Rutger Hauer pretty much makes the movie giving a great villain performance.

Bronson's charisma is a lot like Burt Reynolds except he's devoid of humor. Both guys have kind of a lazy delivery, but it's so captivating to watch.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely more serious. Reminded me of The French Connection so I looked shit up and didn't realize it was supposed to be The French Connection III but Gene Hackman didn't wanna do it.

Bronson's charisma is a lot like Burt Reynolds except he's devoid of humor. Both guys have kind of a lazy delivery, but it's so captivating to watch.

Yep, it's like everything is a pain in the ass.

https://youtu.be/pGb_nQZrvFU

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/pGb_nQZrvFU
Lesser later films of Charles Bronson also led to this great cutaway on The Simpsons/The Critic crossover.

Also s/o to Jimmy Page's scores for Death Wish II and Death Wish III (which I think is just leftovers/reused songs from his score for II), which is pretty much just Jimmy Page warming up by making weird discordant sounds with his guitar.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How dare he!!!!

The robot was the most nuanced character in the movie. And now Paulie doesn't have a love interest anymore.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jackie Stallone died. 98 years old! Heaven needed someone to read people's rumps and promote cartoony women's wrestling.

RIP Mama Stallone

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I could've sworn she died 20 years ago.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bet Stallone, at some point, asks if he can also voice Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden, Stryker, Baraka, Kano, Johnny Cage, and Shang Tsung.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He fits in the Suicide Squad world much better than the Guardians world. His character in Guardians' Volume 2 is one of the strangest moments of all 20 plus movies. As well as one of the biggest "wait why was he here again" movie moments since Mike Myers one scene in Inglorious Basterds. Felt like he was distracted the whole time.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was in Guardians of the Galaxy to make sure the Dream pairing with Miley Cyrus could be realized

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Dude, you live in Vacationland USA, just a short drive from the Play Palace. How the fuck do you NOT go to arcades?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we were just down to the one arcade at Old Orchard Beach by '08. It was long long before barcades were a thing up here.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Yeah. That's the Play Palace. The other one shut down before.

I also used to regularly visit Salisbury Beach, which is like the Old Orchard pier area without the carnival and with more crack.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I think I played that Rambo game at a Dave & Busters once. IDK, Sega stuck with arcades longer than pretty much every other company.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I was figuring Dave & Busters would've been a good bet to have it back then. Even today, there are still some movie theaters I know that keep a few modern arcade games in their lobbies.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I forgot I was stumping hard for Stallone in the action tourney otherwise my first thought was "Wait, I don't even like him that much, why are you lumping me into this?". I just associate my childhood action guys as Arnold, Jackie, Jet Li, and JCVD in that order and often forget about Sly.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought there was a chance of him being a Never Trump Republican like his buddy Arnold when he shooed away Trump when Trump wanted him to be Chairman for National Endowment for the Arts. But I guess he only turned it down for bad PR purposes.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I knew he was a Republican, but he seemed to be aware that tying himself to Trump was not a great idea. He probably didn't want to be seen as a lackey like James Woods or Jon Voight or some of these other extreme right wing celebs. I remember him saying he was amused by the idea of Trump, but not really being clear if he would vote for him.

All in all, this isn't very surprising since Sly has always come off pretty seedy to me at least.