Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

House Shows/Live Events thread

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just got back probably an hour or so ago from a TNA house show in Florence SC. Decided instead of just creating a thread about that show that nobody would give a shit about, I'd make a thread for all untelevised house shows or just regular shows from indy feds, that kinda shit. This isn't a thread for spoiler reports and off-camera happenings on TV shows, this is just to post your own reports for shows you went to, and that other people more than likely won't give a damn about.

They kept on mentioning the attendance as being 2000, which seemed possible. One of the first things I noticed was that the environment for this show was a shitton better than the last TNA house show I went to. Aka: it had air conditioning.

Borash starts out the show with the basic "whoever makes the most noise will get a backstage pass" stuff that TNA always seems to start out their house shows with. After that we get to the first match:

1) Suicide defeats Kiyoshi to retain the X-Division championship.
Suicide entered through the crowd, and got a pretty decent pop. Crowd couldn't care less about Kiyoshi though. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Suicide wins cleanly with some kind of fisherman fallaway slam. (?? I guess that's the best way to describe it?) I don't watch TNA all that much, but, that isn't his finisher is it? Doesn't he normally use the move from the video game?

2) Madison Rayne defeats Daffney
This match...ye gads this match was pretty bad. Being a huge Daffney mark, I'd love to place the blame on Madison, but both women were blowing spots throughout the match. Crowd didn't get into it one way or the other. Madison counters a 10-punch corner spot into a powerbomb, and gets the pin with her feet on the ropes.

Borash comes out and proceeds to EXPLAIN WHAT TEXT MESSAGING IS (thanks JB. I had no idea) because he got a text from Beer Money Inc insulting the crowd to get cheap heat. Yes, BMI is *literally* phoning in their work now.

3) Rhino defeats Shiek Abdul Bashir
Rhino and Bashir easily get the biggest face and heel reactions of the night so far. Bashir gets on the mic, prompting the first of many USA chants in the match. Bashir eats a Gore for the clean pin.

4) Jeff Jarrett/Christopher Daniels defeat Beer Money Inc
Beer Money attempt to get on the mic prematch to get more cheap heat, but the mic doesn't work. Turns out they didn't need it anyways, since the crowd fuckin hated them. JJ, on the other hand, got a HUGE pop from the crowd. Easily the biggest of the whole night. This match had the most contrived oral sex spot in wrestling history. Jarrett tied Roode up in the tree of woe, Daniels irish whipped Storm into Roode, and then after Storm fell onto the mat, JJ/Daniels crotched Storm on the post Roode was on. So....yeah. Roode/Storm teased fighting over who was responsible for them blowing each other, but hugged and made up instead. Shortly afterward, Jarrett pins Storm with the Stroke.

Intermission at this point, where the people who got backstage passes were allowed to go back. They were back there for maybe 5 minutes before they were kicked back out again.

5) Eric Young defeats Cute Kip
You know what, I take back what I said about Daffney/Rayne. THIS was the worst match of the night. Crowd couldn't give a shit about Eric Young, but Billy Gunn? He got the most heel heat of the entire night. Holy hell did that surprise me. This was a basic Konnan Formula match. Kip controlled the entire match (75% of his offense being a chinlock) and then Young hits two moves at the end, and gets the win with a DVD. MVP of this match was the guy sitting behind me in the crowd, who couldn't go more than 3 seconds without telling Kip how much he sucked.

6) AJ Styles defeats Booker T to retain the Legends Championship
I don't understand the match placement. Why the hell have 4 matches before intermission, and only 2 after? AJ and Booker both came out to pretty good face pops, once the match started it was probably 60/40 in favor of AJ. I missed a lot of this match because all of a sudden during the entrances I noticed someone was standing up in the luxury box in the arena looking down on everyone. It seriously distracted the fuck out of me, since NONE of the regular arena seats above the 6th or 7th row were being used, so the person way up in the luxury box really stood out. AJ won after ducking a scissors kick and kicking Booker in the back of the head. Really anticlimactic finish.

After that they did the basic autograph session where they brought people out to sign stuff, or for the "TNA Superfans" you could get a photo in the ring with AJ and Suicide for $20.

I went with Choice C, go home. Overall the show gets a solid "meh" from me. Nowhere near the worst shows I've been too, but nowhere near the best either. Hopefully when I go to Raw on June 15th it'll be better.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Suicide can't do the move from the video game due to physics, so they gave him "The Suicide Solution", the move you saw him do.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I coulda sworn I saw him do the move from the game (or something close to it) during one of his initial run-ins?

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah he did one part of it but can't physically pull off the satellite scissor or the mid-move taunt

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
In June there's going to be a TNA house show here in Abbotsford that I plan to attend. I'm not sure why Abby of all places was chosen. No matches announced yet but it claims AJ, Joe, Booker, Angle(?), and Beer Money will be there which is cool as I've never seen any of those guys live.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that TNA is touring some really small out of the way places, clearly on their way to being the number 1 fed!

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of my lovely hometown, The United Nations gang that was mentioned in today's WO update was formed and operates in Abbotsford.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TNA is coming to Oklahoma City Thursday night. Are they going to the Ford Center where the Thunder play NBA games at and WWE holds PPV and television events? No. The Cox Convention Center which is like the Ford Center's bastard little brother? No.
They're going to the Coca-Cola Bricktown Events Center. It's basically a glorified high school gymnasium. I think Lloyd Noble where OU plays basketball is a bigger arena. Yipee.

I'm thinking of going. Is it worth 35 bucks?

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
I noticed that TNA is touring some really small out of the way places, clearly on their way to being the number 1 fed!

To be fair to Florence, South Carolina, WWE does visit the Civic Center regularly. They even held In Your House: Beware of Dog there until the power went out and forced them to relocate to Charleston.

Where in Florence was the show held? My first thought is the Civic Center but only because I don't know where else it could be held. The Civic Center is located in a not bad part of the city, it's near the mall and a nice movie theater so that would help draw a crowd over (walk ups at least).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's what's scheduled to appear, Dama;

Main Event
“Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe vs. “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner

Tag Team Action
Beer Money, Inc. vs. Lethal Consequences

Grudge Match
“The Monster” Abyss vs. “The Blueprint” Matt Morgan

A special appearance by TNA World Heavyweight Champion and Executive Shareholder, “The Hardcore Legend” Mick Foley!

Also Appearing: TNA X Division Champion Suicide, “The War Machine” Rhino, TNA Knockout Women’s Champion Angelina Love, Sheik Abdul Bashir, Homicide, Taylor Wilde, and more!

I don't know...doesn't sound like a terribly promising card on paper but I still maintain even a bad wrestling show usually makes for a good night out.

I'm going to my first show in about three years on Saturday at the armory that's literally right up the street from me.. It's the first indy show in Portland in six or seven years. Steve Blackman, Gran Apolo, and Rick Fuller are all being advertised. If that isn't a cavalcade of stars, I don't know what is.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Green said:
Where in Florence was the show held? My first thought is the Civic Center but only because I don't know where else it could be held. The Civic Center is located in a not bad part of the city, it's near the mall and a nice movie theater so that would help draw a crowd over (walk ups at least).

The Florence show was in the civic center, but other than the floor seating, there was only maybe 5 rows full of regular "arena" seating that was sold.

Dama: Is that $35 total, or $35 plus the stupid assload of Ticketmaster fees?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's 40 after the dumbass fees. I bought a ticket, it's tonight.

I know nothing about TNA or their storylines or most of their wrestlers. But, wrestling is always fun to go to.
I remember when Unforgiven was at the Ford Center in OKC. I hadn't watched WWE in about a year at that time and had no clue what was happening. But, I went and still had a great time.

Sucks there's no Booker T (for comedy) or AJ Styles. Christopher Daniels would've been cool too. Oh well, I wouldn't mind seeing Joe live.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Suppose I have a great time and decide I want to start watching some TNA. Would there be a place one could go (aside from Wiki) to catch up on their histories and feuds and what not?

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Be like the bookers. Don't even sweat it. Some TNA stuff is really convoluted.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, just a question then. If you know next to nothing about TNA and the wrestlers, why not just got to an indy show for 1/4 of the price? None in the area?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There are none in the area, well there probably are but after seeing some of their wrestlers it doesn't seem too good.

The TNA show was good. We had fun.

Highlights:
-I was in one of those sections that likes to cheer heels. We started an "Iraq!" chant for the Sheik and then kept doing the infidel scream. Haha.
-Samoa Joe got whipped into the guardrail and took some poor kid out. That wasn't cool but the kids dad flipped out and started screaming at Steiner who simply yelled "Fuck you fatty!"
-Beer Money Inc. ripping the fans. It was hilarious. Especially because I think they really hurt some fat ladies feelings.
-Getting in the ring at the end and taking a photo with Mick Foley
-All the autographs I got
-My Beer Money Inc. shirt. lol. I haven't owned a wrestling shirt in years.
-Suicide, I thought he was cool
-The venue was tiny and there were only like 1,000 fans or so. So it turned pretty much into a General Admission show. And you could see from anywhere.
Lowlights:
-This guy in front of me was some kind of super fan or smark or something. I make one comment that you probably have to know about wrestling to get and this guy wont' quit talking to me for the rest of the damn show. I eventually had to move away.
All I said during a stalling sequence was "Let's wrestle! This ain't Memphis!" and he spun around and it was over from there.
Well....that's really the only low light.

Oh yeah, one of the local wrestlers came up to me and gave me a flyer for their wrestling school and said something like "Hey big guy. You need to come out and wrestle! A guy your size would be perfect!" I thought it sounded fun, but I hear those schools are absurdly expensive.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha

Dama was one of the fools who paid $20 just for a damn photo.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Hahahahahaha

Dama was one of the fools who paid $20 just for a damn photo.

Not me. My friend. He said "Let's do it!" and I said "Are you paying?" and he said "Sure it's on me!" I almost had him convinced to pay 20 more bucks to go for another photo.
I don't pay for stuff like that.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
Yes. $20 for a photo for a wrestler from TNA? Come on

My friend is so gullible for these photo-ops. I'm willing to bet he's dropped 100's of dollars at various conventions for photos with celebrities and wrestlers.
Not my money.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This could be its own thread but the only wrestler that I could maybe see dropping $20 on to take a photo with is Ric Flair. I could probably count on one hand the number of wrestlers I'd pay $10 to take pictures with.

I used to drop $5 every time I went to indy shows as a 12 year old mark to take pictures with a bunch of no-names. I could have used that to buy candy! Nobody's going to be impressed by a picture of me with the future Palmer Cannon!

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have done it if I was paying for it myself. I remember when he paid to take a photo with Daffney. I didn't pay shit and stood there and talked to her for an hour. Who needs a photo?
I did pay 5 bucks one time to take a photo with the Suicide Girls. But that was more because they draped themselves all over me while taking the photo, well worth the 5 bucks. *thumbs up*

Does Beer Money Inc. have some sort of gay gimmick going? Because they sure were pushing it at this show.
It was funny listening to them promote the crowd as if they don't do it at every show. "Oklahoma City this is our second show here and it's been insane at both of them! I think next time we come it should be on pay per view!" Yeah fucking right. Besides, I don't think we have a midsize arena to support that. The Ford Center is too big, the Cox Center is run down and probably too big, and the Bricktown Events Center (where they were) is too small.

6foot9

bwah off
Reaction score
I was woken up by the local radio station interviewing Necro Butcher this morning. Apparently he was appearing at some tiny indy show about an hour away tonight. I almost wished I would have known about it sooner, so I could have gotten off from work in time.

Maybe next time.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's the photo my friend spent 20 bucks on. I told him I didn't like the way my mouth was hanging open. He almost spent another 20 for a second photo. I probably never would've let him live it down if he let me convince him to do that.
But this guy has photos of him with Vincent, Daffney, Chewbacca, Lou Ferrigno, the Green Power Ranger, Corey Feldman, Daffney and some dudes from that super hero reality show. He's had to have spent 300 bucks in his lifetime on these photos.

l_d97e141efc5d4f45aad07c0157a9c6c5.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess nobody wants to go with me to the wrestling show up the street tonight. I might just drink a bunch of beers beforehand and go myself and heckle some of the wrestlers. Hilarity may ensue or I'll just look pathetic. Probably the latter...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not a bad idea except that's where they hold the autograph and photo sessions so I'd likely pummeled by all of the babyfaces on the roster. Though, that group is supposed to include former WWE superstar Steve Blackman tonight. I've always wanted to get beat up a former WWE Hardcore Champion.