Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

How I Met Your Mother

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
The only good thing about the finale was the the payoff to the stripper joke, from "Belly Full of Turkey."

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really torn on this. I wanted to like it, but god damn it sucks that the mother died and the entire story was really about loving another woman.

The mother was perfect for Ted, she was basically a female version of Ted. Then it's like "Oh yeah she's dead, now I'm going to go for the woman I've loved this entire time!"

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I stopped watching this show regularly when Lily & Marshall had a baby. Babies on sitcoms = downward spiral.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I usually try not to get worked up on this stuff. Especially something that essential equates to a hokey sitcom. Stuff with this show struck a chord sure me on a personal level quite a few times and with the awful day I had yesterday, I was concerned about my enjoyment of the finale.

Of course that horrible ending was the perfect way to cap my day. I turned it off and went straight to bed and not entirely the show's fault, woke up still pissed.

Great escapism entertainment.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
People try too hard on finales. Or in any sort of art in general. You don't have to. You know the basic tenants of storytelling, but try to do something different or clever and think it will go over big. But in the process you ignore what sells and make crap. And no one ever learns.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How I Wore Down the Woman I Was Obsessed with Until She Finally Pity-Married Me

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
So, is this the second most disappointing Robin reveal of the decade, or does Nolan still hold that title?

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/why-we-deserved-more-from-the-how-i-met-your-mother-series-f

For the most part, this nailed it.

"What we are criticizing is the writing and the total inflexibility of the show-runners, who had an ultimate goal from season 2 and refused to change it even as the dynamics of the show changed, the length of the show changed, the chemistry of the actors changed, and the viewer expectations changed. They negated almost all of the character growth and experiences over the years, just to not change an idea they had 8 years ago."

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
hyperchord24 said:
People try too hard on finales. Or in any sort of art in general. You don't have to. You know the basic tenants of storytelling, but try to do something different or clever and think it will go over big. But in the process you ignore what sells and make crap. And no one ever learns.

This is why I loved the Office finale. Michael shows up and everyone is happy, he's happy, Dwight gets married to his season 2 girlfriend Angela, and Pam and Jim don't break up. Just a bow on the series to send the fans home happy.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BPSS Wyatt said:
HSJ said:
How I Wore Down the Woman I Was Obsessed with Until She Finally Pity-Married Me

How It Took Nine Years To Explain Why I'm A Pathetic Douche.
I thought he explained it quite well by pronouncing 'encyclopedia' the way he does. I stopped watching after that. Too unlikable a character.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I didn't hate the finale like most people did. I didn't love it but they were building to this for awhile so it's not really a shocker.

Something that confused me, his daughter said the mother has been dead for six years now. Did he start the story when she was still alive and healthy and she died midway or did he begin right as she got sick?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reine Storm said:
I didn't hate the finale like most people did. I didn't love it but they were building to this for awhile so it's not really a shocker.

Something that confused me, his daughter said the mother has been dead for six years now. Did he start the story when she was still alive and healthy and she died midway or did he begin right as she got sick?

I don't understand the question.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He's been telling this story for 9 years. Daughter said mother has been dead for 6. What was the mother's status when he started talking?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He hasn't been telling the story for 9 years. Those kids didn't age. He told a story about 9 years...but not in real time. Did those kids even ever change clothes?

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
He's always telling them the story in 2030. It seems like the story ends around 2024 with her getting sick so there's your six years.

I honestly don't think the writers ever thought they'd get nine years out of this show and they were too stubborn to change their original plans so this is what we get

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad they didn't change the original plans. I just wish the last episode had been the whole season instead of 22 episodes taking place over 48 hours and the last hour taking place over 16 years.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Has there ever been a show that ran over 8 seasons that had a satisfying, conclusive ending? I haven't seen enough to really judge.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cheers?

Edit: the office finale itself was good even if a lot of the final years to get there were pure trash.

BurningPirateShipSex

BurningPirateShipSex
Reaction score
Reine Storm said:
He's been telling this story for 9 years. Daughter said mother has been dead for 6. What was the mother's status when he started talking?

I like the idea that Ted is so long-winded and pedantic his wife died before he could finish telling the story about meeting her.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Reine Storm said:
Has there ever been a show that ran over 8 seasons that had a satisfying, conclusive ending? I haven't seen enough to really judge.
Frasier had a pretty satisfying ending. YMMV on the "conclusive" part. Same for JAG.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Reine Storm said:
Frasier had a pretty satisfying ending. YMMV on the "conclusive" part. Same for JAG.

The Office ended very well, despite a rocky seasons 8 and 9

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Acid Reine said:
M*A*S*H

bps said Cheers; the final scene was effective, but the episode on a whole wasn't that good.

EDIT: No comment on How I Met Your Mother, of which I have seen all of two episodes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I forgot to mention ER before: another show with what I thought was a satisfying, if not "conclusive" finale.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I found the final episode of Friends to be satisfying and conclusive.

The final Office wasn't so bad either.