Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

How long ago did Dunkin' Donuts rebrand to simply "Dunkin'"?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Did I completely miss this? Some branding still has the whole name but all the ads I'm seeing online just say Dunkin'. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Since we're on the subject, what are your thoughts on DD? I don't drink coffee but I do like their chocolate doughnuts and a few of their sandwiches. Their bagels are always stale. They also OD on the cream cheese.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Like two years ago. I just remember the McElroy's reading the press release around that time.

I haven't been to a DD since I was a kid, I think? When I lived in a small town, we didn't have one. Now there are too many other bagel, coffee, and donut places for me to bother.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They've slowly been phasing it in for the past 3 to 5 years. It's definitely not new or close to new move but it has been subtle.

I love love love Dunkin Iced Coffee as a NEW ENGLAND MAN and their cold brew is honestly better than Starbucks. I love their breakfast sandwiches more than any of the huge chains except for Wendy's. Wake Up Wrap is my favorite cause it gives me just a taste of fast food breakfast without filling me up and making me feel like crap.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I feel like most I talk to only called it Dunkin’ for years. From a branding standpoint, concise and shows “they aren’t just donuts” since there’s a market of people who prefer their coffee to other outlets.

I can’t think if I ever had their bagels straight up. I know I got a bagel sandwich months ago that was way better than I expected. But I also subscribe to the notion there is no such thing as too much cream cheese.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I forgot to finish my post. Everything except for coffee and breakfast sandwiches, including the formerly titular donuts, I can take or leave.

Hopefully, I think Dunkin's is over that weird experimental period when they were overexpanding their menu and adding stuff like personal pizzas & tuna melts to the menu. I was just listening to a podcast about Dunks with former NEW ENGLAND MAN and Desus & Mero writer Josh Gondleman and he aptly compared Dunks' lunch & dinner menu expansion to Subway introducing breakfast. Like why would you event want to be in a Subway at 9 AM?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I think you are in the hot bed of Dunkin exploration, @King Kamala, seeing they are New England based.

Dunkin disappeared for about a decade in the early 2000s and resurfaced with a pretty sizable presence in the last ten years maybe. But I know they show all kinds of cool stuff in ads when I watch Red Sox games that I can’t get here...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's impossible for me to be objective about Dunks as NEW ENGLAND MAN! Everyone here either loves Dunks or hates it cause everyone else loves it to annoying extent (lot of annoying boomers/Xers WHO ONLY DRINK DUNKS). Very few Dunks neutral people. I've learned to stop hating and EMBRACE THE DUNKS! The true egalitarian working (New England) man's breakfast.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
DD had pizza on their menu? Like, I know they introduced flatbreads for awhile but did they actually have full on pizza? I thought it was weird when they started selling hash browns!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess it was earlier than I expected. Mid-late '00s. I never had it but can't imagine it was worse than Subway's pizzas. That was the closest I came to retracting my "Even bad pizza is still objectively good compared to most foods."

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I dig the Dunkin' coffee overall and it's an obvious staple (Dunkacinnos ftw) when my Dad & I go to any Bruins games. The SNL sketch will never not be a little too on the nose for us New Englanders.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
My sister got her PhD a few years back now en route to being a college professor, published author, etc.

This is relevant to a thread on Dunkin’ because when she was winding down her program, she went to go help my grandparents with some health care issues in New England. One day she was in the post office to send out some job applications and dossier type stuff. Some complete stranger in line started asking her about what she was doing and then got very upset my sister would do this for employment because “Dunkin is hiring. Are you too good to work there?”

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dunkin' is now on DoorDash in my area and they are offering free delivery and a free bacon, egg & cheese croissant for orders over $12 this week. Tbh, this made me just as excited as Biden winning. I was dreading working early mornings this weekend but it's easier knowing DoorDash is bringing the WORKING NEW ENGLAND MAN's BREAKFAST to me this weekend.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When I was in 7th grade (1991) my parents' work hours changed and my father had to drive me to school (the only year he ever did). He would stop every morning at dunkin and get a coffee. So for years after the harsh, pungent smell of dd coffee would bring dreaded memories of waiting to enter the personal hell of junior high

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dunkin' is now on DoorDash in my area and they are offering free delivery and a free bacon, egg & cheese croissant for orders over $12 this week. Tbh, this made me just as excited as Biden winning. I was dreading working early mornings this weekend but it's easier knowing DoorDash is bringing the WORKING NEW ENGLAND MAN's BREAKFAST to me this weekend.
Update: Had the Beyond Sausage Wake Up Wrap in this order (gave the BEC to my girlfriend) and it's even better than the regular sausage Wake Up Wrap. VEGETARIANS NOW RUN ON DUNKIN!

Downside: Iced coffee was spilled all over the bag so that is why DoorDashing Dunkin's is NOT A GREAT idea.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I was dreading working early mornings this weekend but it's easier knowing DoorDash is bringing the WORKING NEW ENGLAND MAN's BREAKFAST to me this weekend.
As the resident WORKING NEW ENGLAND MAN of the community, I can tell y'all three big things.

1. It's called "Dunkies," ya mooks.
2. The only people gung ho about Dunkies have no other options in their immediate area. Aroma Joe's and Heav'nly are gaining popularity in northern Mass and southern NH, while Mary Lou's is the South Shore favorite and Newport Creamery/Honey Dew being southern MA/RI institutions.
3. Heav'nly is the best in the region, followed by Honey Dew, then Mary Lou's, then Dunkies (mostly for convenience since they're in every town), then Mary Lou's. Aroma Joe's is overpriced trash that desperately wants to be like Starbucks or Seattle's Best but only succeeds in tasting like stale K-pods and plain-as-fuck food options. Newport Creamery is more of a treat than a legitimate option.

The Boston-based tech death band the Red Chord, big in the early 00s when the Boston scene was booming thanks to Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage, once described the midwest as hell because "there ain't a Dunkies for miles." Always remembered that bit of stage chatter.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Dunkies must be a MA/RI vernacular cause I have never heard anyone up here call it that. It’s always Dunks/Dunkin’ with the rare DD.

Aroma Joe’s is definitely a distant third but I do have it semi occasionally cause it is closest to my house and they have more non dairy milk options than Dunkies ( acceding to our preeminent WORKING CLASS NEW ENGLAND MAN) or Starbucks. I would say their iced coffee is BARELY better than a gas station iced coffee.

They do have cheese stuffed pretzels that I really like. Cheese stuffed pretzels are really only an acceptable breakfast during the middle of a pandemic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DoorDashed some Aroma Joe’s, @Laz . They have hash browns now and they are like Dunkin hash browns if they were actually good.

Not that I won’t eat the fuck out of Dunks Hash Browns but they are definitely on the Mt Rushmore of objectively bad foods I love.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Next time you're in the SNH area, find yourself a Heav'nly and get a Barnyard sandwich. Imagine if the bacon egg n' cheese from Dunkies was made fresh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update: I promised to boycott Dunks after I saw what dicks they were being about Portland’s new hazard pay law...until I saw a $5 off $15 or more for Dunks on DoorDash today.

GUTLESS NEW ENGLAND MAN

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Update: I promised to boycott Dunks after I saw what dicks they were being about Portland’s new hazard pay law...until I saw a $5 off $15 or more for Dunks on DoorDash today.

GUTLESS NEW ENGLAND MAN
Man if our resident “woke” poster abandons his principles for a deal on donuts, we are doomed

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That’s even worse. If the sandwiches are so god damn good, then why didn’t they rebrand it DUNKIN BREAKFAST SANDWICHES?