Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I started building this Lego set

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score

Looks like the folder skews more games and tech than toys, but figured I'd share this here. I was a huge Lego kid but I don't think I've built a set in 20 years. Decided to treat myself. Will show off the finished product!

Anyone else still play with Legos? Any cool sets you've come across recently? One of our friends' kids have like the giant Harry Potter castle and that's pretty slick.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That looks pretty cool. I know they did that Batmobile not too long ago that was crazy expensive and there was also like a $300-$400 Disneyland set that I thought was awesome.

I don’t really remember doing too many Legos as a kid. I know I had gotten one of those little pirate sets during a Secret Santa as a kid but I was more focused on stuff with action figures.

Someone gave me a cool Lego set of Sydney, Australia two Christmases ago, as I think they thought it was something I could do following a surgery I was having shortly after but sadly I never got around to breaking it out.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Was that one of the Architecture ones? I would have hated those as a kid but they look really awesome to me now. I was also never a car guy, but they have a lot of great looking car sets, hence the Vette.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, it was one of the architecture one. Doing a quick Google search since it’s across the house from me right now, I’m pretty positive it is the Sydney Skyline one. Even though I enjoyed puzzles and stuff, I feel I may have been too impatient on the Lego stuff as a kid - and too frustrated if it got disassembled.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I had a couple of Lego pirate ships when I was younger that I adored and that set would have fit perfectly.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
The early going:

hTWgXd2.jpg

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
The night's efforts.

v3kHIab.jpg

I hate that the logos and other design elements are stickers, rather than printed onto the blocks, because I have the fine motor control of a rabid, aged musk ox. Still, I'm 1 for 1 on putting them in straight, centered and with no air bubbles.

Hoping to have it wrapped by tomorrow - I'm on step 91 of 206. Fun times!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My sis sent me the "Back to the Future" set after my 2013 surgery as both a time occupier during recovery as well as her low key idea to get me using my left arm since that's the side they always jack up. Surprisingly I only dropped it once, did not lose my cool at all. It only took me a combined 2 days across 5 sessions with breaks.

When we were kids I guess they did have "sets" but I mostly just remember a 5 gallon ice cream tub of unsorted Legos and let your imagination run wild from there. I was not good at that. The neighbor kid did some DIY M.A.S.K. vehicles with his legos. It was fucking art to see that kid in action with his Legos.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
When we were kids I guess they did have "sets" but I mostly just remember a 5 gallon ice cream tub of unsorted Legos and let your imagination run wild from there. I was not good at that. The neighbor kid did some DIY M.A.S.K. vehicles with his legos. It was fucking art to see that kid in action with his Legos.
My wife was asking me last night which sets I liked, for future gift giving purposes. She says "you know what set I liked, the BUCKET" with a big grin. I was never any good without instructions, either, and I too was impressed by the kids who could just whip shit up.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I built this one at the height of pandemic isolation (mid-April). It took a long time but was a fun build:

I know Legos have evolved a ton in the last 20-25 years, so with this set, I'm glad to see that this guy is still going strong:

Edit: image didn't post properly, so here's a link to the image.
https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Redbeard

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Finished product! It was a lot of fun to build. I was able to slack off enough while working from home to get it done. I really like it; the body lines seem true to the original but you still know it's a Lego set, which I like. It's a little flimsy if you try to hold it by the doors - not much is attaching them to the rest of the model. The rest of it is solid, though. The tires are legit, thick rubber, and the car has pistons that "fire" as it rolls and can be steered from the back while you push it (the steering wheel is for show). I think it'd make a cool toy for an older kid, but also a nice display piece for an old dork like me.

HSQ4Vsk.jpg
n4bRUAd.jpg

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I absolutely qualify as an AFOL but I've really cut back on buying sets because I just have zero room to store finished products. I'd love to get one of the cars, or the Millennium Falcon, or the Disney Parks Train Station, or Steamboat Willie, or shit probably like a dozen other things, but alas...

I am happy to have Cinderella Castle, BB-8, and WALL-E, though.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score

How do I convince my wife to greenlight a $150 Lego set?

But then also

how do I convince her to do it again

I think the next one I am going to actually tackle is:

Same scale as the Corvette...will look nice displayed together.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This is probably as good a thread as any to share this

Better tag @The Art of Postin' so he can use this to calm himself down when he cracks open some of that Arizona tea and gets a case of the sugars. I’d tag @King Kamala too but you know his online access is limited to strictly here or OnlyFans.