Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I'D RATHER DIE WITH MY BALLS AND DIGNITY: The 2020 Indy Wrestling Compendium

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
St. Louis Anarchy canceled their return cause a number of their wrestlers were in close contact with Dan The Dad, Effy has also canceled his dates out of abundance of precautions. GCW is having their show across the country in California with a lot of the talent that was on The Collective because I guess COVID-19 won't be able to kill Sabu?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
St. Louis Anarchy canceled their return cause a number of their wrestlers were in close contact with Dan The Dad, Effy has also canceled his dates out of abundance of precautions. GCW is having their show across the country in California with a lot of the talent that was on The Collective because I guess COVID-19 won't be able to kill Sabu?
There's no point to cancelling a Sabu booking when Sabu will find a way to cancel it himself anyway.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
And likely take a couple of attempts to do it, but the payoff will always be worth it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So now 3 wrestlers that were at The Collective have been confirmed to be COVID positive. Have no idea whether or not any fans have tested positive. Mixed levels of responsibility really drive home why I won't feel comfortable going to an indy show until there's a vaccine. A few wrestlers/promotions are being responsible and taking weekend off but both GCW itself (although at least they're outdoors this weekend IIRC) and a death match promotion that features a lot of guys that were at The Collective are running again.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, not a good look for these promoters at all. I get they're between a rock and a hard place but everyone's health should always come first.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't remember who but someone in my Wrestling Twitter circle put it best when they said these indy wrestling since COVID-19 really has been more for the wrestlers than the fans.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tweet unavailable, @Big Beard Booty Daddy . What'd it say?

Tony Deppen said he's pulling out of his shows this weekend cause his COVID-19 tests haven't come back so at least, GCW stalwart is being a reasonable person. I'm going to have a hard time giving them any money in the future. Apparently, they haven't required testing for any of their shows since they came back this summer. Not surprising but it is disappointing.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Tweet unavailable, @Big Beard Booty Daddy . What'd it say?

Tony Deppen said he's pulling out of his shows this weekend cause his COVID-19 tests haven't come back so at least, GCW stalwart is being a reasonable person. I'm going to have a hard time giving them any money in the future. Apparently, they haven't required testing for any of their shows since they came back this summer. Not surprising but it is disappointing.

This was Drew's response, and the deleted Tweet is from Brett Lauderdale. he called out Harry's picture saying that someone in the picture ran a show in NJ with no social distancing and didn't care if anyone got tested.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I try really hard not to be a COVID cop and want people to let off steam in a responsible manner but I think it's virtually impossible to run indy wrestling responsibly. At least with team sports, you can have everybody isolate together or at least in same relative area like WWE and AEW. With indies, everyone's coming from all of the country from god knows where in packs of 2-4.

Sadly, I think the only truly responsible indy promoters are running closed to the public shows (shoutout to my boys in Limitless) or not running shows at all.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I wish I was connected to the business more to see what the hell people behind the Collective were thinking.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They changed their Twitter name to Beyond Wrestling tribute account. I hope this is just Drew just yanking our chains again and it really isn't the end but I totally understand if it is. He already has a very successful food truck and last three years for Beyond have been extremely tumultuous between the constantly fluctuating indy scene, the weekly TV show, and now this pandemic. Drew has been grousing about getting out of the business almost since I started following Beyond.

11 years is a hell of a run for an indy promotion but considering Drew's (and Chris Dickinson's) sense of humor and how many times he's groused being too old for this shit then doing another ambitious undertaking with the promotion, I'm thinking it's 50/50 that we'll see Beyond come back bright eyed and bushy tailed in 2021.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good piece on retirement of Matt Tremont. I think writer was spot on portraying him as heart & soul of death match wrestling in 2020. He had an every man (but completely nuts) quality that was appealing even to non death match people like myself. And he was actually a damn good straight up brawler and may have been able to make it further if he focused on non death match-y stuff but also you can tell that was what was in his blood (literally?)

Also dude is probably getting out at the right time. I would have NEVER guessed he was younger than me. I would have thought 38 or 39 at the very youngest, would have guessed early-mid '40s.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Tremont's best work was outside of deathmatches, IMO. Most deathmatch guys are mediocre anyway, but practically all of them after the original CZW crew started dropping are awful.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Limitless Wrestling is announcing its plans for its vacant World Title on IWTV tonight. Genuinely don't have a clue as to where they will go with the announcement but whoever is the third champion will have big shoes to fill since the first two champs (MJF and Anthony Greene) both immediately went onto contracts with a major promotion.

Also Kaiju Big Battel is guest starring tonight. This is my yearly reminder that Kaiju Big Battel is still a thing. Maybe one of the monsters will be the next Limitless Champ!