Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now, it's just a Led Zeppelin thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today is 40th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin's breakup.

Discuss and debate the definitive classic rock band ITT.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
III is one of my all time favorite records.

I still regret not seeing Page & Plant in the late 90s.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Stairway warrants its length but most of the other epics would be better cut in half, especially Kashmir. These lilies have been gilded enough. Sabbath was better.
I agree that Sabbath is better, but I can't imagine most of their longer songs being shorter-especially "Kashmir", which has such a great use of Mellotron. The lengthy songs in general are a part of their mystique-they aren't these complex Prog Rock epics, but to shorten something like "Rain Song" is a terrible idea.

Dandy

Reaction score
Led Zepellin is the greatest studio band in the history of studio bands. Anyone that says differently should drop a pin to their current location so I can drive to them; beat them until I am tired; and have my balls crest just above their open mouths.

Take some time to listen to some of their songs that are not typically thrown out as their best in conversations to find some gems.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Super important and influential band, but holy shiiiiiiiit are they boring compared to so many of their contemporaries, and not even as important in general as bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (whose work literally invented an entire musical genre).

Still, though, when a Zep song fucking rips? It RIIIIIIPS.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can tell that 3/4ths of the band sold their soul to the Devil because they were the only white band to make a tolerable reggae rock song.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Zep are much more sentimental favorites (I'll defend "Fool In The Rain" forever), but they were fucking great. The good is very good. My problem is that, objectively, I think of the lesser stuff first. "Stairway" deserves the praise but I can only listen to it every few years. Sabbath was better by far, though ("Planet Caravan" does Zep better, for the record). I love Zep but their limitations were very easily exposed.

No one should be doing reggae.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

The day where Led Zeppelin became instantly uncool.

EDIT - My older brother was a senior in high school when "Come With Me" came out and he used to tell me all of his friends (all metalheads and/or classic rock nerds) were exceptionally pissed and were even more put off that Page endorsed it. They called Zeppelin sellouts, etc. The hot takes of 1998!

Last edited: