Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

If you could call a wrestling match from any point in history..

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which would it be?

Who would you call the match with?

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Probably the Attitude Era opposite Lawler. Mainly so I can tell him to STFU about puppies. Either that or the '80s boom opposite Bobby Heenan. Although he would probably make me break.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What match would you call though DP?

Austin/Michaels?
Austin/Bret?
Canadian Stampede?

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
My bad, I misread the post.

w/ Lawler: That's a tough one, there are so many awesome "story-telling" matches in the era. I would probably say WrestleMania XVII Rock vs. Austin. I know Lawler wasn't in the company, but hey, neither was I.

w/ Heenan: I'm still learning about OLD school WWF. Probably any match w/ Hogan. Something that will really make Heenan riled up.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If that's the case DP, you should call a match with Heenan AND Jesse as a three-tier announce team.

The Hogan love would be off the charts. Especially if Hogan, as a face, starts doing his usual heel type moves in the match.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Actually on second thought maybe I would rather stay away from Hogan should he start face cheating. I can't think of any good excuses why it's okay that he's doing it. Not that it stopped McMahon.

I also wouldn't mind playing heel against Monsoon for Hogan vs. Savage WMV. Hogan was truly the bad guy in that feud.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Probably the Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue match from 6/9/95. I dunno who I'd want for a partner, not many announcers would know all the backstory for that. Dave Prazak, maybe. Alhough truthfully I might enjoy the challenge of trying to Joey Styles it by myself.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to call Sting vs Flair, and any of the Sting vs Vader matches with either Jim Ross or Jesse Ventura.

It'd also be cool to call either of the Savage vs Warrior matches with Bobby Heenan or Vince McMahon.

Steviekick

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would love to call the last year of WCW with Ultramantis Black or Larry Sweeney.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steviekick said:
I would love to call the last year of WCW with Ultramantis Black
I thought that nobody could possibly top mine, but there you go. Good call, sir.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd call the time when Jingus got hit in the balls, with Jingus. I'd bust his balls all match, and then scream "SHE JUST BUSTED HIS BALLS!" real loud like when he receives his low blow. Balls Mahoney would then come and take his palce for the remainder of the show. We'd really nail the balls thing into the ground.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I'd call Flair vs. Steamboat, two out of three falls with JR. My favorite match of all-time, and nearly an hour to boot.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd have a laugh calling the Survivor Series '97 main event with Hulk Hogan.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No special reason, just I'll always remember the interview Hogan gave about the Montreal situation. About Hart not wanting to do business and Michaels having to physically hold Hart down for the pin and win the title.

Yep.

Also, Hogan obviously has high opinions of both Michaels and Hart!

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Royal Rumble 1990 with Jesse Ventura. The Rumble matches are just so much fun with the entire roster involved and non-stop action. There are better ones than this version, but this is the one that holds the most nostalgia value for me coming at the height of my interest as a youngster. This is also the first confrontation between Hogan & Warrior and seeing two top faces going at it in this era completely blew my mind, and the match's first true Iron Man in Dibiase. And the names in this match are just incredible, even if some of them had their best days behind or ahead of them. In this one match we have Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Ted Dibiase, Dusty Rhodes, Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka, Roddy Piper and Andre the Giant. That's 13 of the biggest names in wrestling history in one match, and that's without including guys like Honkytonk Man, Tito Santana, Rick Martel, Earthquake, Demolition, etc. There is very little dead weight in this match, moreso than perhaps any Rumble match ever.

Plus I was really starting to hate Hogan around this point and ranting with Jesse against him after screwed Warrior and beat my favourite wrestler at the time (Perfect) would be great fun.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:

I would probably say WrestleMania XVII Rock vs. Austin. I know Lawler wasn't in the company, but hey, neither was I.

He wasn't? The only hiatus I remember him being on was in 2001 with his wife; he was back by WM, wasn't he?

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I'd call Sawyer vs. Rich in the cage at The Last Battle of Atlanta. I'd call it with an uncensored Jim Ross, just to see how he does without anyone in his ear.

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adam said:
No special reason, just I'll always remember the interview Hogan gave about the Montreal situation. About Hart not wanting to do business and Michaels having to physically hold Hart down for the pin and win the title.

You're talking about their match at WrestleMania 16, right?

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adam said:

Yep.

Also, Hogan obviously has high opinions of both Michaels and Hart!

It struck me as weird to hear his interview; he was on Off The Record in 2003 and praised Bret all over the place. Bret, save the situation in 1993, seemed to hold Hogan in pretty high regard in his book.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CanadianGuitarist said:
daileyxplanet said:

I would probably say WrestleMania XVII Rock vs. Austin. I know Lawler wasn't in the company, but hey, neither was I.

He wasn't? The only hiatus I remember him being on was in 2001 with his wife; he was back by WM, wasn't he?

Heyman called WM with JR. It was a glorious combination and really made the PPV come off better than it already was IMO.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
CanadianGuitarist said:
daileyxplanet said:

Heyman called WM with JR. It was a glorious combination and really made the PPV come off better than it already was IMO.

Jesus Christ. I read that as Rock/Hogan/WM 18. Fucked up thing? I'm drunk now, but was sober as a judge four hours ago.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Benoit v. Triple H v. HBK with JR.

(Totally serious btw, being there live was amazing)

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd probably guess the Mania one.

I think that was the biggest markout moment of my life.