Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Impact Wrestling Winter/Spring 2020-21: Swann Diving Into a New Era

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wait... Brian Myers renamed his lariat finisher the Roster Cut? I’m not sure if I like it or hate it. In some ways it is a somewhat clever name but in same ways it just feels like a bitter ex thing to be a long term name

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It really is a very classic TNA thing to do. Glad they brought the true title back to prove it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do you think Tommy Dreamer was in tears while tweeting this?

He's technically right but getting mad at wrestlers going from Impact to AEW is like a Scranton/Wilkes Barre RailRiders fan getting mad over their best players leaving the team for the Yankees. This interpromotional war just really illustrates what a minor league Impact has become.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Yeah, the idea of what he's saying is spot on. There's a reason the great commentators, even if they are heel, will put over the other talent to build them up as someone worth going against. The fact that Impact hasn't had any response to anything AEW has done, other than sending The Good Brothers over, is really telling. I wish there would be a response from them, whether having talent go over there, or having their own paid commercial.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
While stuff on the Tony promos has entertained me, it helps no one the more it goes on. No way Impact is going to get anything meaningful after this. They can pop the shows AEW talent works but I really can’t see AEW talent putting them over. Whichever Impact executive has green lit this caused a big problem I think. Now it’s gone on too long to stop but there is no real payoff in sight for Impact either.

Seems especially odd for Impact who tends to be one of the promos to acknowledge tropes and booking flaws more in recent times. I did get a chuckle when D’Amore told Myers he was being booked in an “Eye for an Eye match” and then when Myers was concerned, D’Amore rambled about how stupid and illogical doing that match would be.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While stuff on the Tony promos has entertained me, it helps no one the more it goes on. No way Impact is going to get anything meaningful after this. They can pop the shows AEW talent works but I really can’t see AEW talent putting them over. Whichever Impact executive has green lit this caused a big problem I think. Now it’s gone on too long to stop but there is no real payoff in sight for Impact either.
Impact seems just happy to have the exposure, no matter if that exposure involves the #2 promoter in that country shitting all over them.

I think the only longshot way to salvage this (and I'll admit I was wrong and MY FELLOW NEW ENGLAND MAN (in Tennessee) @Laz was right) is have Sami Callihan go on AEW Dynamite and beat the shit out of someone. But I doubt AEW has any interest in featuring any Impact talent on Dynamite beyond the Good Brothers.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Sami is stuck in feuds as a midcarder at best right now. No disrespect to Trey Miguel but it doesn’t feel like the guy feuding with him should go get shine on a national level. Now, you got guys like Ace Austin who has potential. But I don’t know if Ace Austin smacking around Brandon Cutler means much.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Seems especially odd for Impact who tends to be one of the promos to acknowledge tropes and booking flaws more in recent times. I did get a chuckle when D’Amore told Myers he was being booked in an “Eye for an Eye match” and then when Myers was concerned, D’Amore rambled about how stupid and illogical doing that match would be.
Shocking that these people had no long term foresight into their booking. Khan booking philosophy is “I saw this when I was a kid so I’ll just do it too”

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

That D'Amore bit was pretty great. I laughed so hard when he was rambling as he walked out the door.

I think in the long run, this will be similar to the NJPW/ROH partnership. Talent will go to the other promotion, but it won't be a serious invasion or anything. I really like the idea of sending underused talent back and forth to get more time.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Most certainly I had different expectations for this AEW/Impact thing. What it's ended up being is a one-sided situation, and I'm sure the stuff with Guevara isn't going to help the partnership moving forward. Will be interesting though to see if this heats up post-Revolution and Sacrifice as the next step would logically be to turn up the interpromotional feud to lead to Rebellion in April. Who knows though, I'm not holding my breath about it.

The NJPW stuff with Impact too has been underwhelming so far with FinJuice not really adding much to the show, and seems more like a preclude to Good Brothers just going back to New Japan more than anything.

That AEW "ad" on Tuesday was funny for sure, but certainly counterproductive long term. Seems like so many possibilities are teased with all of this, and it feels like the trigger will never get pulled on things for one reason or another.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Impact getting pantsed will never get old, but this is just sad now. Dreamer's "I'm rubber you're glue" thing makes it that much more pathetic because you know the odds of Dreamer showing up on Dynamite are much higher than someone like Swann.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Most certainly I had different expectations for this AEW/Impact thing. What it's ended up being is a one-sided situation, and I'm sure the stuff with Guevara isn't going to help the partnership moving forward. Will be interesting though to see if this heats up post-Revolution and Sacrifice as the next step would logically be to turn up the interpromotional feud to lead to Rebellion in April. Who knows though, I'm not holding my breath about it.

The NJPW stuff with Impact too has been underwhelming so far with FinJuice not really adding much to the show, and seems more like a preclude to Good Brothers just going back to New Japan more than anything.

That AEW "ad" on Tuesday was funny for sure, but certainly counterproductive long term. Seems like so many possibilities are teased with all of this, and it feels like the trigger will never get pulled on things for one reason or another.
Everything happened at such a weird time. With Impact, it started between tapings, and with AEW, they had their own stories to build to their next PPV. I can't fault anyone for not wanting to just throw away stories that are moving to just put wrestlers from one show or another in their stories. Once AEW has their PPV, I think we'll see some more talent (hopefully). I'm with you on this. It seems like AEW is the top, NJPW on the second level, and Impact is at the bottom, in this deal.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dreamer vs Show in a revisit to their classic 2006 ECW feud. This time it's personal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big Cass showed up as a surprise mystery partner for Hernandez at an Indy show taped for Impact Plus and my god I hope that is not canon.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
No one had heard from him after he got into that fight with Joey Janela over a year ago so glad to see he's doing ok now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
Xplosion was initially their in to Australia, if I recall. I never saw it. It never mattered. Missed some quality misuse of talent, I guess.