Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

It's Always Sunny Season 13

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Re: It's Always Sunny Season 11

Yeah. I can do without Cricket. For years now. Far and away the worst of the season, and probably worst in a very long time. Only good bits were when the gang showed up.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Bible-Pounding Phony said:
Yeah, the twist was easy to call early but I was wondering if we were going to get a lot of episodes in this style this year seeing half the main cast is so busy with other projects.

Have been fast-forwarding through previews to go in fresh each week. Sad how quick the finale always seems to come each year.

I wonder if any other side characters will get their own episode next year. The only one that might work is maybe a Waitress episode if they did a full Lars Von Trier parody or something and made it incredibly bleak and depressing. I think she said she was living in a women's home or something the last time she appeared. That's already the start of a Von Trier movie.

An all Artemis or McPoyles episode might be too much and I think Jimmi Simpson is probably too busy to be on the show anymore.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score

Of course
Charlie finally finds a way to bag the waitress and then doesn't want her after...now do they pull the trigger and have her get pregnant?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Very interesting finale.

Dennis leaving might actually be real since Glenn Howerton is attached to star in an NBC pilot with Patton Oswald and said in an interview that he doesn't know if he can return for season 13 and that the show is going on an extended hiatus. I don't really want to see the show pull The Office without Michael Scott, so I'm fine waiting a few years for a new season. I figured something had to happen now that all the Gang is getting more work with The Mick, Charlie's movies, Rob directing The Minecraft Movie, and now this.

As for the episode, I don't know what to make of Charlie finally banging The Waitress. It seemed to come out of nowhere and felt random and probably should've been a main plot of an episode instead of the B plot. Him going to Dee right after is interesting and Kaitlin Olson's facial expressions were hilarious during that moment. They can still go somewhere with The Waitress being pregnant, even giving her more screen time if they decide to do a season next year without Glenn. It might be interesting to see the dynamic with two women in the group since they seemed to really be laying the misogyny on thick the last couple of seasons.

I loved that Dee finally gets time to herself and her night in is watching a season of Alias in standard def on her shitty old box tv.

Staff member
Reaction score

I read that Rob is directing a Minecraft movie and Danny Devito just took a part in Dumbo. Maybe they are done.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

They are contracted to do a 13th and 14th season. I'm thinking they just take a Curb Your Enthusiasm sized hiatus and come back in a few years when everyone has time. Hopefully, it's not six years like Curb.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score

http://www.thewrap.com/glenn-howerton-may-not-return-for-next-season-of-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-exclusive/

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” star Glenn Howerton, who just signed on to a new NBC pilot with Patton Oswalt, may not return to “Always Sunny” after tonight’s Season 12 finale, he told TheWrap.

Howerton said the show will go on an “extended hiatus” after tonight’s episode before returning for Season 13. (“Always Sunny” has been renewed through Season 14.) Howerton said whether he returns will depend on what makes the most sense for the show and his character, the possibly sociopathic Dennis Reynolds.

“The option to come back is there, is in place,” he said. “It’s very much a creative decision.”

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

I actually wouldn't mind if they had a season without him. It would make the show feel fresher, as the other characters would have a different dynamic without bossy Dennis around.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

They might have a Dennis replacement lined up.

298639-20120925-2122191.png

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

This is the type of show that can have someone different play him every week, then have Glenn come back and not miss a beat.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's Always Sunny season 13 is being pushed back to early 2019 for now according to this

http://www.looper.com/61373/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-13-air-date/

Also, The Mick season finale is next week and the show has been a huge surprise for me. I really liked almost every episode. The cast for the most part is fantastic. I don't find Chip that funny but Alba, Mickey, Ben, and Jimmy are great. Kaitlin Olson proves she can carry a show and the character is different enough from Dee. Mickey is certainly way more confident and has more swagger than poor pathetic Sweet Dee and it's nice to see Kaitlin get a showcase. It's surprising with what they can get away with on network TV. A few of the episodes matched Always Sunny for dark humor.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/danny-devito-jeff-goldblum-amazon-comedy-tv-show-1202408111/

good. Let Sunny take a break or stop while it's still good and bah gawd DEVITO AND GOLDBLUM!?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Glenn Howerton's pilot got picked up.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/a-p-bio-nbc-comedy-pilot-picked-up-series-mike-obrien-seth-meyers-lorne-michaels-1202087226/

Written by O’Brien, A.P. Bio stars It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia co-lead Glenn Howerton as a philosophy scholar who loses out on his dream job and goes to work as a high school Advanced Placement biology teacher but he makes it clear he will not be teaching any biology. Realizing he has a room full of honor roll students at his disposal, he decides instead to use the kids to his own benefit.

Doesn't sound as good as the DeVito/Goldblum joint or The Mick tbh and all those SNL comedic minds make me weary, but I'll check it out for Howerton.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/6hkiko/the_donald_hive_mind_tries_to_coordinate_a_class/

That's a really funny story, but the top comment got me thinking:

It's too bad they never made an episode about the 2016 election. When I think of all the hot takes about the different Donald voter archetypes in this past election, I can see at least two or three represented in this gang. Certain episodes really bring out these character traits, like the one with the fake mardi gras party and the roulette game in the basement, or Charlie goes America, or the Politics one, etc.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Dee dressed up as and did a pretty good Hillary Clinton impression in the UFC Boko Haram episode, but not much other than that last season. I'm kind of fine with that. I can get Trump satire on a billion other shows and mediums, I'm glad they focused on Daddy and The Boy, Valentines, and going to a waterpark.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Makes sense, but from my perspective I didn't watch any other shows that did Trump well. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that this show provided a look at Trump's America for eleven seasons.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I'm sure they would've done a great job on it, it was just 2016 election fatigue for me at the time of season 12 and the Frank Reynolds character has been a great satire of Trump for 12 seasons without mentioning the pig by name. That said, Always Sunny satire is better than most other television shows, so I get what you're saying.

Did anyone else see Mac get cucked by Gordon Ramsay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqwABb1sU8A&t=176s

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Did anyone watch AP Bio with Glenn Howerton? I didn't care to bother as the promos looked so bland and word of mouth on the first three episodes have been middling. It also seems like Glenn will have more than enough time to act on the next season of Sunny, because it did a 0.8 rating in the premiere which is the second worst for a new NBC sitcom this season. Can't see NBC keeping it unless the ratings improve a lot when it starts airing regularly.

NBC kind of screwed it right away as they air the premiere on a random Thursday in the middle of their comedy block, then they aren't airing it regularly until the 25th. The Mick got about two months of commercials from Fox, then got to premiere after a NFL doubleheader where it pulled a monster rating.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

The first three episodes are on Hulu. I watched the pilot this moring and it was eh...not bad but nothing special. The entire supporting cast save for Patton Oswalt annoyed me. Having said that, the second season of The Mick has been hit or miss for me.

Apparently Sunny is coming back at the end of the year.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I've been enjoying season 2 of The Mick. I'm digging the Jimmy/Mickey character development and I thought the episodes with the lesbian great grandmother and the acid trip were phenomenal. Not every episode is great, but I've yet to really dislike one and Mickey, Ben, or Alba usually do something that makes me laugh.

They need to tone down on Chip if it gets a third season. I think that kid gets as much screen time as Kaitlin. This season hasn't had enough Alba, Sabrina, or Ben and the storyline with Chip's father went nowhere. Kaitlin is still great on it and I thought they've done a great job giving the Jimmy character depth instead of being lovable slacker character #156.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

Really like The Mick and agree about Chip. I watched AP Bio's pilot this morning and I thought it was ok. I'll give the next episode or two a try but it's definitely not as good a start as the Mick had.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

Epic Reine said:
The first three episodes are on Hulu. I watched the pilot this moring and it was eh...not bad but nothing special. The entire supporting cast save for Patton Oswalt annoyed me.

If you only watched the pilot, fine. If you watched more, you are mistaken. The tickler is pretty rad.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/always-sunny-references-in-kent-state-pitchers-bio-leaves-espn-commentator-utterly-confused

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Tried AP Bio again last night and I can't get into it at all. I'd much rather of seen Glenn try to do a different character, or maybe try a dramatic role than do a Dennis like character with less funny people to play off. Kaitlin Olson getting her own sitcom where she plays a similar character at least makes sense because Dee probably gets the least amount of material of the five main characters on Sunny and has settled into a Meg Griffin type of punching bag character in recent seasons. Dennis arguably has been the main character of Sunny since season 8 or 9.

Speaking of that show, the last few episodes of The Mick haven't been good either. It's starting to get really predictable and the writing is kind of off this season. Maybe I was in a bad mood, but I didn't laugh at Jimmy fighting the soccer team in the last episode at all. Even though I praised his character earlier in the thread, I'm starting to get tired of the Jimmy character in general. I loved Alba, but she too just does the same thing every week too. Even Kaitlin has gotten shitty material the last couple episodes. The writers not knowing what to do with Ben this season has hurt quite a bit as well. Season 2 has had some great episodes, but just feels kind of aimless.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

I liked him getting all obsessive and wanting to talk to them athlete to athlete and knowing their stats etc. The rest not as much. Ben has for sure been wasted. I didn't mind the IDEA of Mickey doing online gambling but it didn't really work and the teased/throwaway of her searching the house for hidden passageways seemed funnier to me if you wanted a ridiculous plotline for the episode. I liked the soccer girlfriend plotline though.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The hidden passageways would've been a funnier ending for The Col./Alba subplot then what we got. Looking online, so many people seemed to love this episode and are calling it the best of the series. It felt so samey to the church episode where it plodded along for the first two acts then ended with a big set piece (Mickey getting set on fire/Jimmy fighting the soccer team). I think the best episodes of the show go more outside the box and have a better story. The writers have a hard time making the A/B/C storylines equally interesting most of the time. Even in my favorite episode of the series The Matriarch (100 year old lesbian ep), I can't tell you what happened in the Jimmy/Sabrina portion of the episode.

Also, the ratings for The Mick/AP Bio are so atrocious I wouldn't be surprised if both get cancelled. Mick has a better shot at getting renewed since the ratings for all of Fox's live action sitcoms are terrible and as the only current Fox sitcom with a female lead they can pair it up with another female driven sitcom. NBC seems already done with AP Bio with the way they are airing the episodes out of order.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

AP Bio is getting slightly better and is growing on me. I just hope they don't focus too many subplots around the kids. I actually liked the latest episode of The Mick. Jimmy was great in that.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Always Sunny is supposed to start filming in the middle of April according to Kaitlin Olson in an Entertainment Weekly.com interview.

Also, The Mick finale

Wasn't expecting it to be so heavy. The last couple of minutes were surprisingly dramatic and I thought Kaitlin did a stellar job in the last scene. Sabrina ending up potentially paralyzed was something I wasn't expecting at all. I figured the way she was swinging the sword she was going to end up cutting Mickey, but the electrocution came out of nowhere. I hope it gets renewed otherwise this might be one of the bleakest endings for a sitcom. It seems like it has a decent shot.

I read an interview with the creators and Kaitlin on Den Of Geek and some of the ideas they got for season 3 sound intriguing. They want to introduce some more characters from Mickey's past like her parents. So, hopefully it gets renewed.

Last few episodes of Season 2 were great and I'd say it was just as good as Season 1 overall. There were a few episodes I didn't like (Jennie Garth one and the one in the church were pretty weak), but a lot of really good episodes for the most part.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah that was a weird last episode but it worked for me.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

So, I guess Mac is gonna be ripped and possibly roided up for Season 13

tvyo85rum8311.jpg

This is as weird as John Krasinski getting buff.