Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

It's Real to Me - The Documentary Thread

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Merry Venkmas said:
The documentary on Cannon Films, "Electric Boogaloo" (not to be confused with a more 'official' documentary called The Go-Go Boys) is on Netflix and an entertaining way to spend an hour and 45.

Yeah I loved watching that. Being a child of the 80's I am very familiar with the ouvre of Golan-Globus

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Merry Venkmas said:
The documentary on Cannon Films, "Electric Boogaloo" (not to be confused with a more 'official' documentary called The Go-Go Boys) is on Netflix and an entertaining way to spend an hour and 45.
I had a few problems (I would have liked a little more focus on the pre Golan and Globus era of Cannon. Also, no mention of "Cobra"?) but yeah, great stuff. Love that they gave "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" a little love.

I watched "Amy" last night. Great movie, but damn, it's an emotional kick in the gut.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck. Decent stuff overall. Best stuff is seeing the outtakes of Kurt and Nirvana with their interview segments and such.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this Making a Murderer series on netflix? I'm 4 eps in and this is gotta be on par with West Memphis 3 in just sheer fuckery by law enforcement.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Read a little bit about that and I heard that the doc really plays up the guys innocence. Basically trying to make another WM3 situation out of it by selective editing and such. Guess I'd have to see for myself.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I am going to be watching it or at least starting it sometime this evening once I finish marathoning out S2 of Fargo. I was researching that doc and someone mentioned another similar one called "The Staircase" which is about the situation surrounding a woman found dead at the bottom of the staircase in her home, the husband being charged, the defense etc etc etc

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I highly recommend the documentary "Democrats" about when dictator Mugabe of Zimbabwe lost the parliamentary election and had to agree to constitutional reform. The film shows the negotiations by the government and opposition during this period

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-Sg_0_AWo

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched Don't Ask, Don't Tell from 2011 (updated I think for the repeal) and it's just so mind boggling seeing how it all came into effect. I also found the information that anti-gay sentiment in the military starting with WWII which caused the influx into San Francisco/NYC was most interesting.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up The Identity Theft of Mitch Mustain, decent documentary about a guy who was a very heralded high school quarterback coming out. If you're into sports documentaries and/or are a fan of college football history, it's worth checking out.

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane is a very dark and sad documentary about an accident involving a car going the wrong way that killed 8 people in total. The driver was largely driving drunk but there's some exploration of whether she was suicidal at some point and/or had something medically happen to her. Depressing yet understandable to see her husband clinging to any other scenario despite the obvious facts that she was drunk/had drinks in her.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Someone at work won't stop talking about Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and apparently they are getting everyone they know to cleanse like this.

Reading about it, one of the reviews say "yeah, this is really more of an infomercial than a documentary".

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawk got me into Last Chance U on Netflix, a 6 ep series about East Mississippi Community College. It's basically Hard Knocks meets Hoop Dreams and is a fascinating look at the world of Junior Colleges, the players who transfer down to them (largely for academic reasons), and the academic advisor(s) that deal with those players knowing they want to go back to DI ball in a year or two. PRETTY GIRL WAGNER DESERVED SO MUCH BETTER!

The HC is a total dick at times and we (Hawk, AHM, and I) compared him to BUD KILMER from Varsity Blues. The QB who transferred from Florida State, John Franklin III (who will likely start for Auburn this season), came off as the ultimate prima donna highly hyped QB full of himself and all about himself. Yet he couldn't even beat out Wyatt who didn't even get to walk on at Mississippi State (they refused to even let him) because Franklin can't throw the ball accurately despite a cannon. JF3 = The athletic insanely fast QB with a cannon and shitty accuracy.

Also Clint Trickett, the QB from West Virginia who retired due to concussions, is an assistant coach there.

Finally, fuck that dude, Ronald Ollie. But just for SFH if he reads this post, Ollie and teammate Marcel Andry will be attending Nicholls State.

Good Read When Finish the Series: http://247sports.com/Article/Last-Chance-U-Where-are-they-now-46592820

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Someone was just telling me about that Last Chance U a few minutes ago... guess I am going to have to check it out.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're into crazy cult documentaries, Holy Hell (on Netflix) is a great one about this Buddhafield cult/group that started in 1984 under an ex-actor named Jamie Gomez.

The film premiered on January 25, 2016 at the Sundance Film Festival saw a limited theatrical release in May 2016. It was picked up for broadcast by CNN and aired on September 1, 2016.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Meru covering 3 Alpinists attempting to conquer the unclimbed Shark's Fin of Mount Meru is a fascinating watch. Great story of the physical climb but also the personal tribulations experienced before and during the climb.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
If you liked Super Size Me then you must watch That Sugar Film. Kind of insane that this Australian was virtually eating the same amount of calories, wasn't drinking any Sodas/eating any Candies (a lot of the stuff was low-fat yogurts, juice drinks, etc.), and was gaining so much weight anyway. He was eating the equivalent of 40 teaspoons of sugar a day (average intake) for 60 days.

The Results/Findings after 60 Days
- ACT Levels in Liver jumped from -20 of Safety Line to +20.
- Triglycerides from a healthy 0.08 to 1.50.
- Increased waist size by 10 centimeters and gained 19 pounds of weight overall.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished The Red Pill about a woman going into the Men's Rights groups and studying them/their beliefs. Very interesting documentary, definitely worth a watch as the Father's Rights/Parental Fraud stuff was incredibly visceral and engaging in particular.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/wNeOS_aDjE8

Documentary about Mark 'Gator' Rogowski. I watched this recently, if you don't know who he is I wouldn't google him as the movie would be more intense without knowing what he eventually does.

He was a highly reputable skateboarder, bigger than Hawk in the 80s. As you can tell by the title, he fell out of the limelight and well I won't spoil it.

If you like documentaries, this one is worth watching. They have lots of great footage that sets the tone of the skate scene and lifestyles of these guys in the 80s that sets a great backdrop for the story, you really feel the era. That footage along with the in-depth interviews creates a gripping narrative that outlines who Gator was as a person, the environment his lifestyle was created in, and all the events that led to his 'fall'.

The whole thing is up on Youtube, less than 90 minutes. Trust me, this is good.

Reaction score
The New Breed said:
https://youtu.be/wNeOS_aDjE8

Documentary about Mark 'Gator' Rogowski. I watched this recently, if you don't know who he is I wouldn't google him as the movie would be more intense without knowing what he eventually does.

He was a highly reputable skateboarder, bigger than Hawk in the 80s. As you can tell by the title, he fell out of the limelight and well I won't spoil it.

If you like documentaries, this one is worth watching. They have lots of great footage that sets the tone of the skate scene and lifestyles of these guys in the 80s that sets a great backdrop for the story, you really feel the era. That footage along with the in-depth interviews creates a gripping narrative that outlines who Gator was as a person, the environment his lifestyle was created in, and all the events that led to his 'fall'.

The whole thing is up on Youtube, less than 90 minutes. Trust me, this is good.

Just saw it. Appreciate the rec! Had no idea about this dude. Don't wanna spoil either but thought "isolated in avocado fields" was funny. But yeah, definitely worth the watch.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this on Netflix from the director who did the fantastic Ginger Baker documentary I mentioned earlier in this thread. Counter Punch follows 3 boxers including Christopher Colbert in NY. Fascinating watch for anybody into boxing documentaries.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched a couple Netflix documentaries. One on side session musicians called Hired Gun which wasn't bad but felt a little modern with no real history/weight behind it all.

YPOV watched Icarus about the doping (and Russian doping) in athletics and it's truly fascinating stuff. After 5-6 months of 'doping', this bicyclist gains 20% more power than the year(?) before. Largely follows the 2015-2016 Russian Doping story that broke. Worth watching and might be a good companion piece to the book Spitting In the Soup about the history of doping.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched Icarus, maybe ypov did too but I even looked it up and I was the one who told you about it a week ago and even linked you to the IMDB. SMH I never get credit.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer on Amazon having known a little about the background mostly thanks to Filter's song. A really solid, interesting look especially at his background as State Treasurer and everything which led up to his suicide and the aftermath.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist on Netflix. It's about that bizzare 2003 bank robbery where a pizza guy had a bomb strapped around his neck and he was forced to rob a bank as part of a scavenger hunt to find keys to free the bomb (which ended up killing him). That's just first part of a bunch of crazy shit involving some "interesting" people.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It isn't as funny without Danny McBride and Jesse Eisenberg though.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival debacle (I understand Hulu has one too). Obviously Billy McFarland is fucking scum and the fact that he just went to another scam after being released on bail is hilarious in the saddest way....but I can't feel too bad about the people that unloaded thousands of dollars for something because of a cool video ad and "influencers" posting about it. Maybe it's just me, but if they won't even tell me which airport to go to to get to this thing, I'm cancelling two seconds later. I feel the worst for the people working this thing that knew it was a shitshow but stuck it out to try and salvage the unsalvageable. And then Billy tells them they aren't getting paid but not fired so they can't get unemployment.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
For anybody who missed it in theaters, PBS is premiering the Mister Rogers documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? tomorrow night at 8 PM/5 PM.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They Shall Not Grow Old was fantastic, and my only regret was watching it online and not in the theater.