Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Jeopardy (the television game show) thread

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
He has a lot of sexual harassment allegations out there spanning decades. There were a ton of scandals with The Barker Beauties on The Price Is Right.

https://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/1...uit-latest-in-a-history-of-harassment-claims/

https://apnews.com/article/b830d2653a85a88bc54fbe0dab40afbe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rare.us/people/bob-barker-sued/amp/

True story, years ago when I was living in LA, a friend and I went to a Price is Right taping. It was free, you just had to get there super early before the spots filled up. He heard that if you were super energetic and interesting in the pre-screen, that was how they picked people.

I made a shirt the night before. When they brought us through the queue of “Tell us about yourself”, I hammed it up a little bit and they seemed to like me. They then asked about the shirt. On the front I wrote BOB BEAT HAPPY and they dug it. I then showed them the back where I wrote BOB BARKER ORIGINAL LADIES MAN. It got awkwardly silent after that. I did not get selected to play. That was the day I found out Bob be creeping.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CCH Pounder as an interviewer in Psycho IV was very compelling. She's 67, so I don't know how long term she could be as a host, but she's definitely a great nomination for the present.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Her voice is the female equivalent to Morgan Freeman.

Reactions: SFH

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
My legit top five dream picks:
1.) Ben Mankiewicz
2.) CCH Pounder
3.) LaVar
4.) Mara Wilson
5.) Adam Scott

Came very close to Janeane Garafalo and Mark Hamill making the cut.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. Ken Jennings made a joke about people in wheelchairs in 2014 and waited until 2018 to apologize for it. So Yvette Nicole Brown has canceled him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
It is crazy that Alex Trebek was such a dignified, respected figure that journalists let alone retired politicians are being considered as replacements.

Tom Bergeron is someone I just saw brought up that would probably be pretty perfect and seamless albeit a kind of unexciting choice.
Bergeron is the Todd Pettengill of daytime hosts.

---
My vote is for anyone who can portray a faux intellectual voice ala John O Hurley or David Hyde Pierce.

(Note my pop culture references are almost as badly dated as my wrestling takes.)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On paper, James Franco has a good resume'. There's an appeal to younger adults and teens with him, he's got a very genuine smile about him.

But I'm not sure he would do well with the decorum this role requires. I know he's acted in serious stuff, I did not mind his portrayal in "11.22.63" on Hulu. But then my brain deviates to all the trash bag comedy he's done. I would like to see him host something eventually. Maybe not Jeopardy, but a more laid back quiz show could be fun with him.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On paper, James Franco has a good resume'. There's an appeal to younger adults and teens with him, he's got a very genuine smile about him.

But I'm not sure he would do well with the decorum this role requires. I know he's acted in serious stuff, I did not mind his portrayal in "11.22.63" on Hulu. But then my brain deviates to all the trash bag comedy he's done. I would like to see him host something eventually. Maybe not Jeopardy, but a more laid back quiz show could be fun with him.
https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-james-franco-allegations-20180111-htmlstory.html

Nah this dude got rightly cancelled a few years ago and has a long history of predatory behavior. The allegations have reached closed to double digits since this piece and he doesn't appear in many things anymore.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SFH

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like(d) James Franco but he is too much of a space cadet to trust with anything daily. Not to mention the sex creep stuff.

Another semi-oddball suggestion that I think would fit in seamlessly; Alton Brown. He's even kind of a Republican and kind of a know it all dick like Trebek.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score