Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Jimmy Rave forced to retire, loses arm.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I hadn’t seen much of ROH pre-2010 so I mostly was familiar with him in TNA being in the Rock N Rave Infection with Lance Hoyt (though now I feel weird posting the team name, given his real life).

I saw the name last night and thought “Haven’t heard of that guy in a long time”. To see something like that is shocking and awful. Hoping he can stay positive with such a life-altering thing happening and like cwm said, not buried in debt due to how broken the health care system is.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah that's a bummer. Rave was one of the best heels in Wrestling around 2005/2006. His style was really needed in the early parts of ROH since they needed a chickenshit heel that wrestled a less flashy style.

Reactions: Laz

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hadn’t seen much of ROH pre-2010 so I mostly was familiar with him in TNA being in the Rock N Rave Infection with Lance Hoyt (though now I feel weird posting the team name, given his real life).

I saw the name last night and thought “Haven’t heard of that guy in a long time”. To see something like that is shocking and awful. Hoping he can stay positive with such a life-altering thing happening and like cwm said, not buried in debt due to how broken the health care system is.

His best work was in ROH and feuding with AJ Styles while with the Embassy.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This absolutely deserves its own thread.

Rave's feuds with Punk and AJ were some of the best in ROH's formative years. Everyone was totally convinced he'd win the ROH title in '06-'07 but his personal demons took a toll for awhile and he was never the same. Even when he briefly tried a comeback in 2013ish, he was an afterthought. I was actually there live for Joe/Kobashi in NYC in 2005 and Rave got so much heat it was incredible.

What happened is terrible but at least he still has his life. Hey, Duke the Dumpster made a comeback in wrestling as an amputee so not saying he can't do something similar.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Hope Rave can find a good life outside of the business. As others have said, he was just the perfect undercard shithead heel that ROH needed during those peak years, and I'll always count his entrance at (IIRC) Final Battle 2005 as one of my favorites. He had this solemn stare to him as the crowd pegged him with TP, "House of the Rising Sun" playing, and he no-sold all of it.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Rave was in that crop of indy talent from early-mid 00's that would interact with fans over AIM. A lot of those guys freely gave out their screen names. I never partook but feel like I should have. That absolutely is crossing a line these days as fans have only gotten worse.

However, I WAS friendly with one of the ROH office workers (I think his name was Joe?) in the early days of the company as he posted on the ROH message board back in the day and would regularly set up group chats with fans.