Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Jon Stewart is back and he's elderly!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Each episode will last one hour, and focus on a single issue that is "currently part of the national conversation and [Stewart's] advocacy work". Apple has said that the show will run for multiple seasons, and each season will be accompanied by a companion podcast.

This reads like Jon Stewart seeing popularity of Last Week Tonight and being like "Eh. I blew it by retiring too early."

(also I don't think he looks THAT much older than he did when he left TDS. Certainly not enough to base advertising campaign of his new show around "LOL! I'm OLD now!")

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, its not like he's been in hiding these past few years. He's been on Colbert a bunch of times, people know what he looks like now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, he hasn't been a Johnny Carson like recluse since retirement.

Idk what level of demand there is for a Jon Stewart comeback, especially now that Trump is out of office but this instantaneously feels like they're going about it the wrong way.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
People are regularly complaining that Trevor Noah isn't as funny or as clever as Jon Stewart (and they're right), so there's still an audience for him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like most of "TDS isn't as funny now" crowd shifted over to John Oliver or Colbert.

I mean I'm sure people miss having Jon Stewart around but they haven't been vocal in the last 7 or 8 months.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The Daily Show is definitely one that Covid has hurt badly. The live audience is valuable to that sort of show. Plus they lost Trump to dunk on.

I'm not sure how to phrase this next critique without coming off poorly, but the modern Daily Show often feels like its geared really hard for the urban and WOKE crowd. Plus NY centric crap that a fat guy in the midwest doesn't give too shits about.
Jordon Keppler's man on the street stuff is usually their best bits. It's a shame the producers haven't found a formula for his solo shows to work.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is definitely a demand/interest for Stewart. I like Trever Noah ok but the daily show under him has not been good and I stopped watching it regularly before covid and dropped it entirely during. I love Colbert but without Trump to go after and on a network he isn't the same. Oliver is great informationally but a lot of the time he isn't that funny (although I love the stunts he pulls). I thought Hasan Minaj had the best of the other new shows over on Netflix but that got the axe.

Jon is (whether you like it or not) an icon and incredibly important to how leftwing media had developed. LWT is a modified Daily Show as Oliver himself has said. I'm interested in seeing what Jon does because he was so incredibly burnt out before he left he seemed to have nothing left at all those last couple years. If he is feeling better this could be good.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Jon is a cultural icon. Of course there's demand. I mean I applaud him for leaving when he did because by the end you could see that the last few years might've genuinely destroyed his mental health. Besides after him schooling people at that 9/11 hearing and that clip of him destroying Tucker came back, he's still the guy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess I was too dismissive of the lasting appeal of Jon Stewart but this trailer gave me strong Michael Jordan returning to play for the Wizards vibes.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
It seems like people are ignoring this guy’s popularity and focusing on a bad thirty second promo. At one point Jon Stewart was like the most consumed media source, and it was mostly 18-34 year olds that boosted that number. A lot of those people still consume political media, so I’m sure there will be demand for this at the beginning.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the quality of the promo really doesn't matter as long as people are talking about it honestly. Personally I didn't analyze it anywhere near as deep as some people seem to be doing. "ha he's old ok...glad he's back" and made a note to try the show and kept going.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The article literally says he wasn't really pushing a conspiracy theory and that it was a funny bit. All they say was that he was over-simplifying which of course he did.

The lab leak is a totally legit theory (as the article says) and was especially popular at the time. Also that entire segment was obviously like 30% serious as someone familiar with both colbert/stewart. It was being played up.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The article literally says he wasn't really pushing a conspiracy theory and that it was a funny bit. All they say was that he was over-simplifying which of course he did.

The lab leak is a totally legit theory (as the article says) and was especially popular at the time. Also that entire segment was obviously like 30% serious as someone familiar with both colbert/stewart. It was being played up.
Congratulations on understanding why most people roll their eyes at others for trying to "cancel" anything objectionable.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FAtHEWeXoAA5IJe

Jon Stewart is back and he's not funny anymore (but it's OK!)