Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Just Close Your Eyes! AEW is EXPLODING into Spring 2021!

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
So, you sign Sting, Big Show, Christian and these are your ratings since the ppv:

March 10 Episode: 743,000 viewers with a 0.32 rating in the 18-49 demographic (post-Revolution episode)
March 17 Episode: 768,000 viewers with a 0.28 rating in the 18-49 demographic (St. Patrick’s Day Slam episode)
March 24 Episode: 757,000 viewers with a 0.30 rating in the 18-49 demographic
March 31 Episode: 700,000 viewers with a 0.26 rating in the 18-49 demographic

Might be time to rethink some of the booking. Too many guys so no one can get over. Pick 20 wrestlers and push them every week.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The first unopposed show is the perfect time to reset some things. I kinda wonder if you do Mox-Omega at that show and move the belt back?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Omega as heel champ clearly doesn't work and it's time to take the belt off him. The storyline is pointless.
I don't super hate Kenny as a heel. But Don Callis on my TV in in 2021 is not something I asked for. They keep giving him these long, boring, paint-by-the-numbers promos and I just turn down the volume every time.

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't super hate Kenny as a heel. But Don Callis on my TV in in 2021 is not something I asked for. They keep giving him these long, boring, paint-by-the-numbers promos and I just turn down the volume every time.

They also failed to adequately explain why Callis is there and what their goals are to do.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
You're both right and it sucks.

I think we're seeing Kenny being...not "exposed," per se. But I think it shows how well they caught lightning in a bottle over in Japan, and how much better he is as a cartoon/video game villain (and he's fucking world class at it) than a more reality-based character. It comes down to even, the guy's pattern of speech is just goofy, so when he tries to be "cool" it doesn't work, but when he goes over the top its a home run.

I dunno, I know some people have come around on this run and are really into Kenny right now. I think it's awesome he's been trying to be different in AEW than he was in New Japan, but it just has yet to land for me.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
2021 is already turning around if more people are wishing up to Omega's major faults as a talent

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I'm glad people are starting to see all the stuff that was bothering me 4 or 5 years ago when all of a sudden he became the superworker everyone thinks is the greatest.

I was surprised even reddit seems to be turning on him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Are you afraid though if we continue to buck the mainstream IWC consensus that TSM will turn into the next PWO???

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
PWO is not what you think anymore. It's an Omega/AEW lovefest moreso than even Reddit at times. All those guys with similar wrestling opinions to me like Loss and Phil Schneider barely watch or don't watch new wrestling anymore. Just like me. I'm fine with it. People like what they like. I've never been an Omega guy. Going back to him showing up in ROH back in the late 00's. His style is not my thing. Never was and never will be.

Also, tbh this is pretty much where I go for wrestling stuff these days. I don't really keep up on IWC trends anymore. I'm old now and I prefer that to caring about that stuff.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score
PWO is not what you think anymore. It's an Omega/AEW lovefest moreso than even Reddit at times. All those guys with similar wrestling opinions to me like Loss and Phil Schneider barely watch or don't watch new wrestling anymore. Just like me. I'm fine with it. People like what they like. I've never been an Omega guy. Going back to him showing up in ROH back in the late 00's. His style is not my thing. Never was and never will be.

Also, tbh this is pretty much where I go for wrestling stuff these days. I don't really keep up on IWC trends anymore. I like what I like. I'm old now.
I mean, it's basically only one guy who slobbers all over Omega's dinger, to the point where even cross-posting luminaries like TTK will gladly call him out with me, but yeah. The hardcore old schooler bubble nerds ended up tapping out after they did the last GWE project and I don't see all of them returning, and some only just started showing back up.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Loss was an avid AEW viewer at least for awhile. It sounds like he doesn't watch as much as he did.

I wouldn't quite call it an AEW love fest. There's a handful of posters who are pretty critical of the booking

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lovefest is too strong. But, I'm just saying most of the posters that people know for that PWO mindset are gone now and it's splintered into something that I only visit once a month whenever I'm watching a PPV.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PWO is definetly not what it was back when Loss and Will were all over it. I used to lurk all the time and of course when it was NMB actually posted a lot. Once it switched to PWO I lost track of it for awhile and then never really got back into posting regularly. The board also never recovered from the hilarious japanese anarchist troll guy.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Hey I want it known that I absolutely worshipped Kenny's dinger back in his New Japan days. WK9 was my first NJPW show and Kenny was one of the two guys who I was instantly a fan of. I don't love what he's doing now but there was a run where he was probably my favorite guy in the business.

That said, he has clear flaws that were exposed once AEW got off the ground.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Thing is, my guess is when AEW goes unopposed they are still able to do around 800K on average even with their flaws. This seems to be more than enough to keep TNT happy, so I'm not sure we see any changes.

Now, with their declines over the last few months I don't think they do the 1 million viewers they would've been doing a few months ago if they were unopposed. But, 800K is enough to keep TNT thrilled.

Laz

Reaction score
Nah, he knew what he was saying, Lance. Roids and Five Finger Death Punch don't make you a hardass.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Archer going to a Walmart super center and getting shit from a kid is actually kind of a good sign. People are talking! They need to push him harder anyway, so let this be a sign he's a heel of the people.

Wearing an AEW mask, though...

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Tyson is coming back tomorrow to AEW

EyTsxJGXEAwkdnm

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
They already announced DON in Jacksonville. Plus, Tyson is supposed to fight Holyfield Memorial Day weekend (same weekend as DON).

Tomorrow is live, and they then tape the 14th the next day. If they have Tyson for 2 days it would be huge to hotshot an angle tomorrow, and then do the follow up for the first unopposed show on the 14th. If you had Tyson in a tag or as some type of physical role you probably do over 1 million unopposed, and maybe get back some of the lost ratings momentum.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Then they’ll capitalize on that momentum with a garbage match with fuck Taylor and go back to 690k.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I'm going to be really curious what they setup tomorrow for next Wednesday. If they just book it like some regular old Dynamite I'm pretty much going to give up on AEW ever growing.