Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Honestly speaking, it probably would have been Al Snow. Or Maybe it would have been Test and Al would have been his Norman Smiley.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was Joe E. Legend already under developmental contract in '99 (assuming that's when Gene was in negotiations to tie in wrestling with KISS)? I feel like that's another guy I could see being the Demon. Maybe Joey Abs or Stevie Richards could have pulled it off OK but the real answer is Test.

No one else had the right combination of menace and big dick swagger needed to play the KISS Demon.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gene's such a scumbag he should've just opened his own company during the boom.

Droz could've done done the Demon beautifully.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His story sounds made up too. Super Bowl was in New Orleans in 1997 and 2002. Former is before KISS Demon timeline (but year when a KISS wrestler actually could have worked) and latter was after WCW went out of business.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Didn't he go on Conan or something years after WCW died and brag about how well the Demon was doing? Check cleared and he never thought about it again, probably.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Just tell him to grow it out and cover any five-head with paint. The Demon would've gotten over slightly better in the WWF, I think, and that's solely because he could hang out with the Brood at best and be Boogeyman at worst. He really did just get turfed in WCW, Renegade-style.

The funny thing with Buchanan is that, using Vince logic, the company would buy him hair plugs and fire him when his hair didn't grow fast enough.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn it. Now I can't stop thinking about the alternate universe where Foley stays in WCW and Cactus Jack leads the Dungeon of Doom against Hulk Hogan.

I'm bummed we never got a Foley-Hogan match but also glad we didn't get it when they were both in TNA in 2010-11. Although I'm sure @Valeyard will have a compelling argument about how a Foley-Hogan TNA match would've been secretly kind of awesome.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Foley doing the overcompensating TNA bumps for Hogan offense? It would've been awful but appropriate.

Cactus in so many ways was the ultimate Hogan villain: big ugly scary guy who would make him look incredible for the least amount of effort. He'd have been so good in the Dungeon. Like, assume he gets the Kamala slot, the whole thing is lifted up slightly. That Wargames would rule. More good Sting matches, promo battles with Savage and Pillman, getting murdered by the Outsiders on an infrequent basis. Foley would probably get into everyone's good graces, honestly. Maybe not Flair's, but everyone else.

Thinking about it, I just now realized how much of a bootleg Cactus Jack Hugh Morris was.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think a heel Cactus Jack vs babyface Hogan match in 1994 or 95 would have been at least as good as the Hogan-Stan Hansen match from 1990.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Cactus vs Hogan in late '94 would have been special. Halloween Havoc with a potential Hogan/Cactus and Flair/Sting double main event (if you can't bury Flair extra hard like he did, "demote" him into a Sting match) would have been a really interesting show. You could even do the Butchering Of A Friendship thing and have Cactus just hang out with the heels for transition's sake.

Also an eventual Cactus and Vader vs Mega Powers is a direct way to my wallet.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guarantee you Cactus Jack would have had the best match of Hulk Hogan’s WCW run.

I think Foley might be the most underrated signing of the MNW era. He was the first WCW to WWF star that really broke. Right before Austin. Although I get a sinking gut feeling I am forgetting someone and will feel like an idiot.

(I guess Razor and Diesel but that was pre MNW)

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also wanted to see Cactus/Hogan in 1994, but I would've been pissed when it was over and the Chumpster was standing tall. Still, the promos would have been amazing. Guaranteed that Cactus would pinball like crazy for Hogan's offense. Sad in retrospect that it never happened.

Cactus/Hogan would have been a better rivalry than Vader/Hogan was if you ask me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First Vader/Hogan match at SuperBrawl V is actually real good (maybe the best Hogan WCW match) and Hogan, at least by his standards, kind of made Vader look like a killer. It went quickly drastically downhill though and rematches are so bad, it made it easy to forget the first match.

Bischoff talked about it on his podcast a few weeks ago (in between needless Tony Khan bashing) and said Vader was all too willing and eager to become a stereotypical rote Hogan monster.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's one of my favorite Foley matches but I could easily see Cactus/Orndorff working better with Hogan, purely on spectacle. You could do it almost note for note, just with the Hogan finish, and after seeing all the stupid shit Cactus does to himself I wouldn't be too pissed if he just finally couldn't get up anymore.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He was something special. But if I remember right Inoki offered him stupid money instead of working development and he became an icon.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He didn't start in K1 until 2002, which was after he was released by WWF. He got signed with them on the basis of him beating the absolute dog poop out of William "The Refrigerator" Perry on FX's Toughman Competition (which was my first exposure to him and first time I watched FX).

WWE tried to sign him in '05-'06ish but by that time, he was such a huge superstar in Japan that it would've been dumb for him to go back there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He could've filled Brock's void pretty well. Or he could've gotten Keith Lee'd.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From my foggy memory of Conrad discussing it with JR or Bruce, they were offering Sapp main eventer level money so I think base level was level of push Lashley got in the mid '00s.

Man, I wonder how timeline would different if Bob Sapp represented Future President Trump in '07.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm much more interested in how Sapp would've clicked with that bathturd Finlay.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
One of those moves that is effectively vicious but not a believable finish. Norton should've gone right into an armbar after.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What better way to pin a guy than taking out his shoulder though? If it's a guy like Norton I 100% buy it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Japan commitments aside, I never got why WCW never at least attempted to get seriously behind Scott Norton. Yeah some stupid goth smarks will say he wasn't very good and yeah, that might be true (I've never seen his NJPW work maybe @cobainwasmurdered will tell me it actually was good) but workrate didn't really matter until last 10 years or so. I just feel like a guy with that presence and look should have a higher career peak than 10th or 11th most important guy in the nWo.