Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man maybe the darkest moment of my life was that I spent like 2 weeks playing WCW Backstage Assault in 01 or 02. I don't even know why beyond being a dumb kid, but the repetition and hitting people with sinks or box television screens must of been fun for a 13 year old me.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Candido surprisingly wasn't in ECW Hardcore Revolution. I think it was released the same time he was in WCW, so maybe that is why. Regardless, it's a shame Bodydonna Skip wasn't a character in WWF In Your House.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's very weird that his only video game appearance was for the company that he had the shortest stint in.

It's really too bad he didn't get to WCW until near the end. If Candido had hopped to WCW when his WWF run instead of going back to WCW in '97, he would have gotten a few runs with the Cruiserweight Title I imagine but it also might've meant him taking the "whiny annoying white guy in cruiserweight division" role away from Jericho.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Konnan had a lot of choreographed "highspots" in his early days that took a lot of contrived set up as he tried to work Lucha spots while breaking down from injuries and steroids. This spot in particular just looks like they plotted it out w/o the steps in mind.
Amazing he looks more agile and less washed in this clip from three years later. Maybe being a No Limit Soldier really inspired him turn back the clock.

(Working with La Parka instead of a washed OMG helped too probably )

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks too big to be Adrian Byrd who I barely remember so take it FWIW but I do remember him being a little guy.

I had no idea Bobby Heenan's WCW run outlasted Vince Russo's WCW run even if he was stuck hosting the lameduck C show. Though I guess any WCW show in '00 was a lameduck show. He was probably happier there hamming it up with Scott Hudson then he would have been drunkenly trying to sell Russo's storylines.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks too big to be Adrian Byrd who I barely remember so take it FWIW but I do remember him being a little guy.

I had no idea Bobby Heenan's WCW run outlasted Vince Russo's WCW run even if he was stuck hosting the lameduck C show. Though I guess any WCW show in '00 was a lameduck show. He was probably happier there hamming it up with Scott Hudson then he would have been drunkenly trying to sell Russo's storylines.
I remember Worldwide used to air at like Midnight on Saturdays in that era and Bobby actually seemed the most like WWF Bobby that he had in years. He definitely seemed like he was much more relaxed and less handcuffed than on the more important shows. I remember him being very funny and had good chemistry with Scott. Of course they did end up replacing him with a heelish Mike Tenay towards the end though, but I remember Tenay being okay in that role. WCW thinking Mark Madden was the young hip alternative to Bobby The Brain showed the competency of the people in charge. That guy would never reach a young audience. Bobby was a bad announcer by 1999/2000, but he was still Bobby Heenan and had a air of class and esteem that he carried himself with that a fat guy wearing a Hawaiian Shirt quoting Kevin Smith all the time couldn't bring. The Gimmick Battle Royal showed the guy still had it and it's a shame that they didn't let Bobby be Bobby after 1994.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even when he was washed up, burnt out, and you could tell he low key hated the product, you could really tell he was trying to make the shows seem important instead of just trying to get himself over as an edgy heel like Mr Snootchie Boochies.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can pinpoint during like every PPV from 1999 when Bobby just says "fuck it" and stops trying. He'll seem a little motivated at the beginning then would try to banter with Tony who was beyond caring and then Bobby would act the same.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would say if anyone deserved to be replaced in '00, it was Tony not Brain. But in reality, it was probably smart for WCW to just start all over with a whole new crew. I never realized until JR's podcast with Conrad on Bobby how fucked up Bobby Heenan's neck problems were. By the monthly PPV/ 3 hour Nitro era, he was having a hard time just being able to sit through the show cause he was in so much pain.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I wonder why Heenan didn't get the call after Lawler left. Heyman was the best choice, but Heenan was Heenan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder why Heenan didn't get the call after Lawler left. Heyman was the best choice, but Heenan was Heenan.
Conrad asked JR about Heenan coming in to replace Lawler in ‘01 and I guess Heenan’s back and neck were so fucked go that he could work the WWF schedule. Maybe that had something to do too with WCW replacing him with Madden?

Valeyard

Reaction score
That makes the most sense. He probably was drinking a lot too during that time.

Heenan and Gene cohosting Excess or something would've been a big highlight of the year.

Valeyard

Reaction score
No chance Hogan or Nash let Chono be his awesome self on WCW TV. nWo Muta sounds way cooler in theory than in practices, honestly.