Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That must've been towards the end of the feud between the American Males and the Barrio Brothers. WHO IS UNDER THOSE MASKS?

Valeyard

Reaction score
My vivid memory was a match between the Males and the Barrio Brothers after some kind of loser leaves town sort of thing, and the next week they had a match with suspicious masked guys who got unmasked as the Barrios. I can't remember if I saw them again.

Barrio Brothers would've been a welcome addition to the shitty WWF tag division, to be sure.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's kind of crazy how stacked the WCW Tag Team Division was from '95 to '97 and it never really rose above the level of "Eh, it's alright." The WWF Tag Team Division was better in '96 when they were fighting over Sunny with a tenth of the talent!

Valeyard

Reaction score
WCW's tag division was never the same after the Steiners left, although you could argue Foley as well. One of the things I was really in awe of when I first got access to WCW is there being tag teams everywhere. Even guys like High Voltage or Men At Work were surprising because I was so used to the same four teams in the WWF and here are these just tag teams doing absolutely nothing but still were tag teams, if that makes any sense. The depth was nuts.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
WCW's tag division was never the same after the Steiners left, although you could argue Foley as well. One of the things I was really in awe of when I first got access to WCW is there being tag teams everywhere. Even guys like High Voltage or Men At Work were surprising because I was so used to the same four teams in the WWF and here are these just tag teams doing absolutely nothing but still were tag teams, if that makes any sense. The depth was nuts.

Totally agree with this. Although I had seen WCW toys in stores, I didn’t stumble into Saturday Night until Hogan was there and established. Not only were there a variety of teams but the teams felt like new talent when a lot of the singles were guys I had seen in the WWF in the past. My attention would gravitate to the acts I hadn’t seen before.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's kind of crazy how stacked the WCW Tag Team Division was from '95 to '97 and it never really rose above the level of "Eh, it's alright." The WWF Tag Team Division was better in '96 when they were fighting over Sunny with a tenth of the talent!
Like in 96 at a point they had Steiners, Harlem Heat, Sting and Luger, LOD, Nasty Boys, Faces Of Fear, Public Enemy, Rock N Roll Express, The Fantastics, Stud Stable, American Males, and more I'm forgetting and it never reached above mediocrity.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ah fuck, I knew I was missing a couple big ones. Fire And Ice only lasting for like 3 months before we got two Scott Norton vs Ice Train PPV matches was not the best idea. Fire And Ice should've got a run of a year or two.

Also not having The Steiners vs The Blue Bloods in a 12-15 minute PPV match was a mistake too. The Steiners and Eaton weren't what they were in 1991 or 1992, but I think they could have a pretty good tag team match in that time. Regal was on fire in 96. Probably one of his best years as a worker as he had all sorts of hidden gem tv matches against guys like Psicosis and Juvi in addition to the higher profile stuff against Sting and Finlay. Him against The Steiners would've rocked.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That's because Bischoff, in his infinite wisdom, didn't see money in tag teams. This despite the fact that the hottest act in WCW history was, quite literally, a tag team (the Outsiders), and that so many of the best JCP gates came from tag programs featuring the RNR Express, the Midnights, the Road Warriors, various combinations of the Horsemen, etc.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They blew it with Hawk as a top guy and no one talks about it. He was every bit as over as third-from-the-top Sting was for a while. The pop he gets during the entrance to WW3 is really telling.

I think the lesson he got from JCP was that superteams were better and a lesson he got from Verne is teams only work if they're your buddies or your family.

Valeyard

Reaction score
911 as old school Ron Bass-like outlaw would have fit well in '95 WCW.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
They blew it with Hawk as a top guy and no one talks about it. He was every bit as over as third-from-the-top Sting was for a while. The pop he gets during the entrance to WW3 is really telling.

I think the lesson he got from JCP was that superteams were better and a lesson he got from Verne is teams only work if they're your buddies or your family.
Hawk's drug intake and contractual demands ended his runs in the big leagues in 92 and 96, so it's safe to say (w/o snooping in the WON) that the same can be said for his off and on WCW runs in 93 and 95.

The Road Warriors still carried the mystique though, no doubt. Them showing up on Nitro and RAW both felt like really big deals.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hawk, to me, always came across as having marginally bigger solo appeal.

Anytime Animal showed up by himself (especially before Hawk's death but even after), everyone was like "Animal, really?". For some reason, the spider on his face looked especially dumb when he was by himself as opposed to being with LOD. The dumbness of Animal's facepaint was discussed on the STWW I listened to the other day.

Hawk's crazy, wild man energy though was unsustainable though so I can see why all of his runs were so short.. Drugs are bad, people.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hawk's promos were so out there, and on top of his look he was money by himself. Animal just shouted things and said "Tell em Hawk!"

I would've put a belt on Hawk, anyway. Give he and Sting the tag belts so when Hawk self-destructed you at least have Sting. Solo Hawk just should have been more. But my markhood is showing.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dominik Velasquez seems like a good guy.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That Perez/Juvi match on Nitro is worth checking out. They bust out some insane spots for 1996. Perez should've gone way farther. He had the memorable look with the body hair sweater, but could actually go in the ring. Very versatile in Puerto Rico as he can brawl, do spotfests, or even more traditional matches.