Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of crazy things about dying WCW that I don't think gets talked about enough is how when the bookers were mad at wrestler, they'd book them in a match where Rick Steiner legit beat the shit out of them. This happened to Konnan & Lash Leroux in last month or two of WCW!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun fact: If you drink more than 3 Surge & Vodkas, you'll turn into late era WCW heel Rick Steiner and start roughhousing employees at the nearest 24/7 Burger King.

(I feel like "If You Don't Like Me, BITE ME" era Rick Steiner is the next mediocre to poor late '90s mid wrestler that's due for an ironic revival on Wrestling Twitter, maybe I can start the campaign if I drink enough Surge & Vodka
I will be legit angry at that. I can't think of a wrestler I liked less in my childhood than 1999 Rick Steiner. He sandbagged everyone and made everyone look like shit while legit hurting them and having boring matches with everyone and cutting the same promo every show. Pre 1993 Rick Steiner rocked, but 99 Rick is not funny, loveable, or interesting like Da Mongo. Buzzkill or The Maestro deserves more of a look. Even Prince Iuekea deserves the irony more. Or Al Greene.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Goals for the last quarter of 2020
Campaign for 2020 POTY tournament
Start ironic appreciation of 1999-01 Rick Steiner

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Why did that tweet gloss over the genius that was Buzzkill? Brad Armstrong trying to knock off his brother in the WWE complete with talking in rhyme, sporting dreads, and IIRC even had a similar sounding theme.

This just reminded me, how many freaking gimmicks did WCW saddle poor Brad with? Badstreet, Buzzkill, Arachnaman, No Limit Solider....sure I'm missing a few.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I have no recollection of that AT ALL. Must have been after his light heavyweight title run.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
'99-'01 Rick Steiner still backed off when he was paired off against anybody with some shooter cred. IIRC, he stayed the fuck away from Saturn and Bam Bam when they were on their way out. Saturn might have legit murdered him, considering it was just a couple years later where he took a slug point blank in the neck and still beat the hell out of a rapist.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scott gets the bully reputation but I feel like Rick may have just as been bad if not worse. Why would you physically assault dumbfaced Christian cartoonist Lash Leroux or demotivated stoner Konnan? :(

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Craziest part is that was Konnan when his body was breaking down. Konnan 5 years earlier wasn't far removed from his days in the Army where he was a Golden Gloves boxer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the WCW front office sicced Rick Steiner on Konnan because Konnan was breaking down and out injured a lot. That company's logic, man.

"We don't like how often you are out injured so we will have someone physically assault you."

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Prime Konnan probably would've done well for himself. I buy 80's and early 90's Rick Steiner as a super tough guy, but I would've loved 1999 Rick Steiner to get humiliated by a lowly announcer or someone knocking him out ala Joey Styles punching out JBL. Seemed like he would pick on easier targets in the ring.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
It was during the Jim Herd era. One of his many ideas to try and get kids to switch over from WWF.
According to Herd's Conrad shoot the idea was to get a national candy sponsorship out of it.

---
Brad wasn't "saddled" with it, but he was the kayfabe "Mr. R" in Georgia, donning the mask so Tommy Rich could surprise Ted Dibiase as Ted thought it was Rich under the hood.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
15 second mark in the second video for the best insert promo. They're really endearing.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
So that second show was another MTV special?? I seem to have blocked those both out totally if I knew about them in 1999. I was still actively watching Worldwide weekly I think, but my Nitro days were largely no longer happening. (As I have explained several times, in 95-97ish I would go over to my adult cousins house next door and take over his living room to watch Nitro most weeks as he sat in another room and watched MNF and such.) I had to walk several miles to another cousins house on Wednesdays to get a tape of RAW.) Superstars leaving syndication in 96 was pretty much soul destroying.